Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching for an oil filter for my S3's first oil change and browsed British Customs. They list the K&N KN-191 as the oil filter for the current S3.

I browsed the K&N website's product search function and found that it lists a KN-204 as the correct part number. I called British customs to see if they have it in stock and asked if they have listed the wrong number? They said that everyone uses the KN-191 oil filter and there are no problems and it fits just fine.

Then I called K&N to double check and the customer service rep told me the website is correct and the KN-204 is the only one they will recommend and if a customer uses the KN-191 and it breaks, it will not be under warranty. The customer service rep told me that the KN-191 was for the old S3, 955 cc, and that they are very similar and will probably fit on the new 1050 engine with no problems. Most likely British Customs has not updated their inventory to account for the new S3. I find this troubling because this model has been out for four years now.

This could be old news, but I just wanted others out there to purchase the correct K&N oil filter.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks for info, but don't use K&N. As somebody who researched this topic (check it here) this is "Made by Hi Flo. Average filter with a $6 nut welded onto the end cap."
Excellent filter to use (better then original, lower price) is Purolator Pure One PL14610, currently $9.48 for pack of 2 on Amazon. From the same source: "This is how an oil filter should be made. The anti-drainback valve is double the thickness of any other here, and obviously seals very well. The media is the best available, and there's a lot of it. The bypass valve is made from a laser-cut piece of stainless steel, and just can't bind or jam."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info, but don't use K&N. As somebody who researched this topic (check it here) this is "Made by Hi Flo. Average filter with a $6 nut welded onto the end cap."
Excellent filter to use (better then original, lower price) is Purolator Pure One PL14610, currently $9.48 for pack of 2 on Amazon. From the same source: "This is how an oil filter should be made. The anti-drainback valve is double the thickness of any other here, and obviously seals very well. The media is the best available, and there's a lot of it. The bypass valve is made from a laser-cut piece of stainless steel, and just can't bind or jam."
Thanks for the info, this will be my first oil change. Too bad I already purchased the K&N, but I will definitely buy the Puralators for my future oil changes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts