Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a K&N air filter (TB-9091) for my 2003 Trophy 1200. This filter requires minor modification to the air box. The air box has 6 self tapping screws across the top, 5 across the bottom and 2 machine screws on each side. The modification simply requires removing the 4 tabs from the filter cage that the machine screws pass through. There are no corresponding holes in the filter for the machine screws. There is one hole on each side of the filter but they don't line up with either of the existing holes on the cage. Do I punch holes in the filter for the machine screws to pass through or just forget the screws and plug the holes?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did the same modification (same filter) just last year on my 1999 Trophy 900 - I left the screws out. I haven't had any problems so far and it's my (mostly) daily commuter here in Washington state. And yes, I did have to clip those 4 tabs off of the filter cage - I used wire cutters and then filed those spots down with a dremel tool to make it flat/smooth.

I'm guessing sometime either at the end of this year or early next year I'll take it apart (to clean and re-oil the filter) and see how things look inside.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts