Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm quite new to Tigers and have been putting off changing my air filter for obvious reasons. However, while looking at the K & N website there appears to be a much easier (and more practical!) option to the conventional stock filter copy. The K and N model no. is RU-2780 and three are required totalling around about £90 but they would look the dog's and do away with the ridiculous process of removing the carbs everytime you want to service/clean the filters. Unfortunately for the some it doesn't seem that they are available for Girlies or Roadies but I was wondering if anyone had tried them and would like to comment. Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Now I could be wrong here, been a while since I swapped to the K&N stock copy and memory isn't what it was, but doesn't a filter service/clean "simply" involve removing the tank and the top half of the air box?

(ah, just seen that you are referring to an 885, I have even less idea than I thought I had)

cheers

John

·
Registered
290 Posts
Are we talking carbs here? If thats the case, to fit theese individual K&N filters is just not worth it.To fit them you will need to remove the carbs,so you can remove the old filter.Then you can fit the new filters.I would refit the standard type,this will avoid the issue of rejetting the carbs.
When I fitted a new air filter in my TBS it took me about an hour,all told.Some points are bit fiddly but overall not too bad a job,
If you have an injected 885, as has been said, all you do is remove the tank and the filtercover, and drop in the new filter.You can buy K&N panel filters that fit into the original airbox.These are a much better option,and of course are reusable.
Just my own view,but I do think original filters are better than individual K&N filters,but the replacement panel filters are superb.Reusable,cleanable,and they fitt the original airbox with no modifications.Like I said just my own views.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts