Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on K&N's web site and they don't show an air filter for the 2010 1600 T-Bird but, it seems I read in some posts where people have a K&N on their Bird, if so, what part # is one that fits? Also, would there be any advantages to the K&N vs. the Triumph "performance" air filter?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice:)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I went on K&N's web site and they don't show an air filter for the 2010 1600 T-Bird but, it seems I read in some posts where people have a K&N on their Bird, if so, what part # is one that fits? Also, would there be any advantages to the K&N vs. the Triumph "performance" air filter?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice:)
Triumph shows the same filter for the speedmaster and america for the Tbird. Unfortunately, the K&N has a different bottom than the tbird filter and it fits but not very well, and you have to crush the filter a bit when you force it in. Do what i and many others did....get a UNI filter. It is also the same filter as used with the america and speedy and it DOES fit, and perfectly. it is also much cheaper, easier to clean, lasts forever and flows as well as any. I had one in my speedy and now in my Tbird and i assure you they are as good as any. IMO better, but thats subjective. You can get them all day for around $30. I paid $28.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Triumph shows the same filter for the speedmaster and america for the Tbird. Unfortunately, the K&N has a different bottom than the tbird filter and it fits but not very well, and you have to crush the filter a bit when you force it in. Do what i and many others did....get a UNI filter. It is also the same filter as used with the america and speedy and it DOES fit, and perfectly. it is also much cheaper, easier to clean, lasts forever and flows as well as any. I had one in my speedy and now in my Tbird and i assure you they are as good as any. IMO better, but thats subjective. You can get them all day for around $30. I paid $28.
Thanks Dazco,

I forgot about Uni filters.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Eddy is a good guy too, so i like buying from him when i can. There are times i can't justify it if i find a stupid good deal, but otherwise i buy from him just because he's 100% behind his customers and is one of us.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently bought a K&N TB-1610 for the T-bird on the K&N website, Ihave not installed yet but I assume they corrected the issue of the fitment because Know they do sell it for the T-bird.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the itg filter which is more performance wise, however I bought the K&N for when i am cleanning the igt which I do every 12,000- miles to put on my bike while the igt is driying for 24hrs
Could you let me know which ITG filter you use exactly?
A model number or site where you got it would be appreciated greatly.

Definitely looking for performance and not trying to cram something into my bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recently bought a K&N TB-1610 for the T-bird on the K&N website, Ihave not installed yet but I assume they corrected the issue of the fitment because Know they do sell it for the T-bird.
Have just ordered one from the local Triumph dealer. Will take about 4 weeks to get it here, apparently it's the first shipment to be imported by the distributors into New Zealand. Will be interesting, just had the big bore kit fitted today (picking up after work, will take the looooooonnnngggg way home), so it will be running on the original filter until the K&N arrives.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this thread until today - I bought the K&N and torqued it down like some ninny told me to do - and it bent the bottom and tore some of the metal screening. I got lucky and was able to return it, as I bought it thru a Triumph dealer and the verified p/n as ok for speedmaster, america and tbird which brings up a question that I haven't seen before and it is...

How the heck can a 950cc engine have the same air filter as a 1700 BB Tbird? Wouldn't you think the Speedmaster has more than enough air and maybe the TBird not enough? There is lots of talk about air kits and increasing airflow - but I'm thinking perhaps that maybe that isn't such a big deal as we think it might be. Without the proper equipment to actually measure cfm's - it would be hard to know. But I would hazard a slightly uneducated, but well thought out guess that the air filter designated provides more than enough air flow and it is the intake and valves on the heads themselves that determine how much air goes through the bike. Think about it - if the 1700 is getting enough air - and I have a 950cc Speedmaster - what could I possibly need to do to increase my airflow on the Speedmaster?

·
Registered
442 Posts
"How the heck can a 950cc engine have the same air filter as a 1700 BB Tbird? Wouldn't you think the Speedmaster has more than enough air and maybe the TBird not enough? There is lots of talk about air kits and increasing airflow - but I'm thinking perhaps that maybe that isn't such a big deal as we think it might be."

Its not just as simple as how much air a system can let in. Sometimes air speed (velocity) plays a bigger part of what design can be used.
Yes in the case of the speedmaster I would also guess the limiting factor is the heads/valves/cams and exhaust.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I hear what you're saying - I have 420hp engine in my '67 Camaro with a 750cfm carburator and I run the K&N Extreme top. If you are wanting air at a certain velocity though you you have to limit the volume to speed the air up - for instance on the 950cc if you need faster velocity - but have that big ole air filter - then it's like sucking air out of a big room - not fast down a small tunnel - if that is the result you want. On the other hand maybe i'm all wet. I just have to trust Triumph knows what they are doing - I have no complaints about the air flow on my TBird - I think it's just fine and the Dyno run I had showed that it is pretty good except at the 4,000 rpm range it does some funky stuff and goes really lean - but below that and above that the F/A mixture ratings were pretty good. Anyway it just made me wonder - you know, if the Geo Storm and the Corvette are using the same air filter it would make you go...huh????

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this thread until today - I bought the K&N and torqued it down like some ninny told me to do - and it bent the bottom and tore some of the metal screening. I got lucky and was able to return it, as I bought it thru a Triumph dealer and the verified p/n as ok for speedmaster, america and tbird which brings up a question that I haven't seen before and it is...
just checked the K&N site, it has different numbers for the America/Speedmaster (TB-8002) & Thunderbird 1600 (TB-1610), so it seems they now have a different one for the Thunderbird.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That is good news - at the time I returned mine - (June 2011) I called K&N and they asked where I lived - they were looking for a TBird they could actually get their hands on so they could make a mold and get us a correct air filter - seems like they followed through on that. Impressive customer service, I'm really glad to hear that.

·
Registered
271 Posts
1610 k&n

Isn't the K&N 1610 supposed to fit the Thunderbird 1600, without having to crunch it down? Anyone using this filter, please respond. Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts