Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

i have recently just bought a K&N air filter for my 2009 registered Speed Triple and ws wondering

1 does anyone have any experience of having used one and have they noticed any difference at all?

2 Has anyone ever fitted one and if its simple enough for a trainee grease monkey like myself :)

any additional info would be very welcome.

PS i am also looking to bling my triple up to the max but will leave those post for another time as i would like to discuss any like minded custom builders

·
Registered
123 Posts
1) No, but I would also like to hear what other people think of the K&N filter

2) Replacing air filter is quite easy, but the tank has to come off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K&N

Oh no.....didnt realise the tank had to come off but hey, how hard can it be :))) anyway i am plannign on fitting mine tonight so i will repost and provide feedback once i know more.

anyadvice on taking the tank off would be helpful as ive not done it before...cheers

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Alittle more clarity the above link doesn't give, when you lift the rear of the tank you can only go up maybe 5 inches or so. Be careful not to scratch the front of the tank on the top triple. You'll have to hold the tank up or have someone hold it for you while you complete the following. The fuel line coming from tank has an orange plastic "clip" on it at the tank connection. You do not have to completely remove it, simply slide it (only goes in one direction) until it stops. You then have to compress a black tab on the connector itself to remove the fuel line from the white colored elbow coming from tank. Once off do not tilt the flex line downwards or it will leak fuel. As long as the cap is closed on the tank it will not leak from elbow. Unplug 2 electrical connections and remove 2 vent tubes on left side of bike (make careful note where they go) and pull tank back towards rear of bike carefully. Have someone hold the bike or brace it yourself while pulling because it can move backwards.

I have the K&N and honestly the only difference I noticed is I can hear more intake noise at near WOT. It's not going to make any more than 1 or 2 HP difference and the only convenience is you only need to clean it yearly most likely, unless you put on serious mileage or ride thru sand storms.

·
Registered
420 Posts
K&N is not the ideal filter for performance. If you want gains (they won't be noticeable anyway, I don't care what air filter you use) use a BMC, or if Pipercross is available for Triumph, try that.

I have used K&N air filters on my bikes for many years though, just not on a Triumph. I will not go with K&N again. Just be sure to get the maintenance kit and clean and oil it every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K7n

WOW thanks for the guidance Blonde and Mrjs Bond i will give it a try with some confidance now. tonight i fitted my rear wheel and give it a good clean and when i got to start on the tank, as soon as i removed the long bolt from the tank hinge and lifted it slightly i shat myself. loads of connections of which i thought i best attempt it when i have mroe time and knowledge lol seriously i have not done it before and its a brand new bike so probably just being over careful. got Thursday off work so will try again then and will follow your instructions and be careful ha ha

thanks for the feedback Ride, didnt realyl expect alot really but if it performs better and needs less maitnance then its a good thing........i will report back with my views when ive tried it

thanks again everyone i really do appreciate your input...happy tripling!!!:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
honestly the BMC flows more air than the k&N because it filters less and requires more cleaning....i would go with the K&N because it is reliable and you will gain more throttle response.....if your racing, hitting the track alot, go with the BMC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

can i just say if there is anynone who needs to change thier filter and havent taken the tank off before, just follow Blonde1 advice. i followed it word by word and have to say it was a cinch :)) thanks again blonde i now have a K&N on my bike and will report back shortly with my thoughts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The consensus here is that the K&N filter does not always fit the S3 properly, and it won't give any discernible performance gain. The only advantage with a stock exhaust and map would seem to be to avoid having to purchase new OEM air filters every so often.

The BMC filter would be a logical addition if you did an exhaust upgrade and a remap but absent those, I don't think you will see any real benefits in return for your ~$50

·
Registered
379 Posts
I installed the K&N filter on my bike to complement the arrow 3-into-1 pipe. Honestly, the only difference I have noted while riding is the sound, which shocked me at first. I thought I was being strafed by another bike - looked around to try and see it, only to realise it was me! Other than the awesome sound, really, I think the only benefit is reduced maintenance costs.

I was lucky enough to purchase the filter when British customs http://www.british-customs.com/speed-triple-1050cc/?man_id=18 had excess stock (around January 09) and so I was able to pick up the filter for US$29. I see they now have it listed for $45.

Make sure your bike is secured for the tank removal process. I used some pit-bull front and rear stands. A good tip for newbies and returning bikers with rusty wrenching skills (like me -I have not wrenched my own bike since my 84 RZ500), is to use a digital camera to document the deconstruction process so you have a record of what goes where. That, and some coloured electrical tape can help to colour-code connectins and make sure you are reconnecting all the right stuff. Make sure you have enough time to go slowly the first time. Taking the tank off an 08 or 09 is a far more complex a process than it should be. It is best done with the fuel tank near empty, which makes it far more manageable.

Regardng fit of the filter to the air-box, I have an 08, and had no problems with gettign a tight fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts