Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I thought I should add to my original post the morning of the day it started smoking and presumably wet sumping I had fitted a new tachometer gear the one that goes into the exhaust camshaft as the old one had broken and I was running it without one,is that just a coincidence??

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi Sam, Hmmm... You've got lots going on here. Sounds like typical old bike. Touch one thing, 2 things fall apart. The o-rings are included in various kits. I got kit with new mixture screws. New screws were different shape. I did the right thing, put the new rings on old screws.

Hmm. exhaust cam tach drive abuts left cam bushing, which goes into crank case. Not so simple as there is oil access passage where metal from tach drive might(??) be able to get into crank case. I don't have spare case on hand to verify this.

Question, what broke on tach drive gear? Were you able to retrieve all broken parts? Coincidence is common on Triumphs & other machines. I certainly cannot explain how this happens, but it does. You ride bike today, works perfect. Next week you go to ride & it changed. I happens to me too.

In cases like this, you fix what you know/see is wrong. If your carb seal fell apart, it was junk already. So we know the carbs likely had a problem. If you had too much oil in motor sump, drain it out & observed how it goes from there.

Most importantly don't do repairs without a reasonable diagnosis. Try not to jump to conclusions. Not all faults can be diagnosed, but dozens & dozens of times I've seen owners spend lots of time & $$, not correcting the root problem, so bike not fixed.

Regarding oil pumps if a bit of swarf gets into check ball, as was stated, it can dislodge & wash out, then pump is ok again. However if return side check ball is unseated & leaking, minimal oil will fall back into motor sump. The oil return pipe in tank (back bone) is well above oil level (unless oil is way overfilled).

I'm most curious as to what the tach drive did. Metal chip inside crank case can get thrown up & case damage to bore etc. Or get stuck in pump ball should it pass through screen.
Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
When I first got the bike the tacho wasn’t working and upon investigation I found the very tip (the spade end) of the gear was broken off so I left the gear out and ran it like that with no issues until I fitted the new one and then the problems started! The 400ml of oil I drained from the sump I replaced with fresh oil in the frame I then left the sump plug out and no oil has drained out while it’s stationary I’ve now got to wait for the air screws to arrive and hopefully it will run ok to see if the wet sumping has stopped.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi Sam750, So.... Did you retrieve the broken tip of drive? If yes, then I doubt the drive replacement is related to smoking.

Good to see you're not dripping oil out of sump hole, so the check ball in feed side of pump is holding.

The return pump is a little harder to check. You could do trial & error by observing oil tank level & how that relates to motor sump amount by draining. If you have a vacuum gauge handy with hose & adaptors to hook up gauge, you can get a check on scavenge side of pump. Hook vacuum gauge to tube in motor sump, start motor briefly. If good the vacuum will jump to 20"+ vacuum. Spec is 18-26". It will build vacuum up in a few moments. Stop motor. Observe gauge. It may or may not drop slightly on shut off, but then it should hold pretty well. Several seconds is what I've observed during testing.
Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No Don I never did retrieve the broken tip perhaps I disturbed it when I fitted the new one!! If it’s still the same after fitting the new pilot air screws and o rings do you think I should tear down the top end?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
High Sam750, Yikes! Did you verify it's not still stuck in end of cam still? Should you double check?

Did you see any metal in/around sump screen? Like I said without having case on hand with cam in it I don't know if it's possible to get by end of cam. This is a tough one. If you pull top end, all your out for $$ is gasket set if you don't see problems. I might do more diagnoses first with wet sumping etc.
Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Don't think it's still in the cam Don as the new one just slotted straight in I can't do anything now until the parts from Amal arrive so I will wait till then and do some more diagnosis and thanks for your input..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts