Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm riding nice and fast on the freeway and the bike just goes dead, no sputter, no nothing, it was like somebody just unplugged er.
I knew it was not a gas problem, so I checked the fuses and looked for noticeable stuff without anything looking bad. I tried to start again and she starts up. I ride to the next exit to turn around and Head home and made it back onto the freeway where it does the same thing.
While I was waiting for a tow truck I tried a few times without a start and then after a while again it started. I left it idle and about 4 minutes later bam stopped again.
The weather was cool, the bike was cool.
I am waiting for the shop to diagnose the problem and will post the results.
What is your guess?
Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
Possibly your vent hose is kinked or plugged as to stop the flow of gas,,,as the fuel gets sucked out of the tank it builds up a vacuum in the tank and stops the flow of fuel,,,,,,just a thought,,,,unless once some part of your electronics gets warm and quits,,,,maybe???

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Without question, ignition pick-up coil. Also called the crank position sensor. Common problem, easy fix, $67 Triumph part.

j98sprint

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh...
I shoulda just towed it home and tried replacing the ignition pickup coil first!
It just seemed like such a scarey symptom. Like a total melt down...
Thanks for the replies.
I will update with what happens
Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The diagnosis is a faulty "Ignition Sensor"
I am told it is on "special order" and it takes a week or longer to get one.
Is this the same as the pick-up coil?
Also, any faster way to get one other than going through the parts dept at the dealer?
Mike in Minneapolis

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Menelfloss,
my sprint would cut out in a similar fashion. Start up ok, ride for a short time then cut out. Wait for another short time , then it would start up again ok and cut out again. etc etc. Eventually after an exhaustive process of trial and error - the problem was tracked down, and cured for ever . The sprint has two fuel lines that go from the fuel tap and each joins at one of the junction pipes between a pair of carbs. INSIDE each of the fuel lines at this point is a micro filter. These filters are very small and get blocked very easily, plus being inside the fuel line its impossible to see if they are clean or not, as was the case with mine. They would only allow the smallest trickle of fuel through - enough to start and run for only a short time, eventually the bike would stop due to fuel starvation. After a few seconds enough fuel would again trickle past to repeat the process over again.
I removed these micro filters and replaced them with ordinary inline filters so i am now able to see by looking under the tank if they are blocked or not.
Worth checking on your bike and it doesn't cost anything.
It may not have any other problem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Goosiman,
Thanks for the heads up. The bike has been diagnosed with an electrical problem however.
It is great to know about the filters though for future potential problems.
Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
I replaced the pick up coil 10,000 miles ago after similar problems. However my 96 sprint has just started misbehaving again. Ride for 4 miles then ignition goes dead - tacho sits at zero etc - coast to a halt. All other electric OK. Wait a few minutes and then fires again. Runs anothe 4 miles and then repeat. Guess I could have a duff one after such a small mileage but has any one ever had the main igniter unit fail?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Clean LT leads to coils, make sure of good fit and are clean, protect with dialectric grease - do this procedure regularly every winter is a good idea. That will generally leave the issue therefore as a faulty coil or the Crankshaft sender unit as the problem - crankshaft sender unit failure is an relatively common issue but always keep those spade ends clean to eliminate them from becoming an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts