Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Just thought i'd post up and say hi. Joined the forum this morning but have been browsing for a week or so before then.

Have been looking into getting a triumph for a little while after trying out my dads 900 trophy and seeing a few sprints.

Yesterday I put a deposit down on a 99 Sprint ST in red.

45,000 taxed and tested, new rear tyre, good overall condition and OEM panniers and top box. I paid £1850 which i think is a fair price, anything i should know about these bikes?

I found the front suspension to be overly soft and was thinking of putting some fresh, thicker oil in to begin with, any recommendations?

thanks

Dean

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
Hi Dean and welcome to our Sprint forum:)

Congratulations on your new to you Sprint ST.

Basically they are a very robust engine and gearbox & yes the front is soft.

Myself I run the stock springs which are .75 units and could be 1.0 instead, but I have 15wt oil and push my bike along at a fair clip and find this fine for me.

I would check with the dealer or the Triumph website to see if you any outstanding recalls. If the bike has been regularly serviced then you should not have any worries.

I have a 2004 Sprint ST with 61,000 very hard kms on it and it runs like a top.

These bikes do need the correct and proper maintenance, I take it you are in the UK so if you ride on salted roads you will need to protect your metal bits from corrosion.

Oh and we ask all our noobs to please read our forum stickies:)

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Covered it in one Dave.

Welcome to the fray quik_d. The are a great bike. Enjoy the smiles. :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, i had a look before signing up at the rules and regs.

I will have a look at the preload when i get the bike to see if it needs turning up a bit, other than that i might well put 15wt oil in as i'm a decent size (6ft 1, 15.5 stone)

what adjustments are available on the rear shock? As it felt fairly hard when i rode it.

Yes DaveM, based in Surrey, UK. i have heard that triumph are prone to corrosion, but looking over the Sprint i bought it doesn't have any. i will be treating it to some protective spray however when i get it. i think the bike has had a fairly easy life, the guy i bought it off was 64 and had it for 7 years, clocking up most of the milage on it and using it for commuting and touring.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Welcome in Dean.
Don't mind the Aussies, everyone knows they are a bit upside down there down under. :D

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Welcome to the forum quick,
Nice choice for the bike, I love the red colour. My only tip on these bikes would be that they are quicker than you'd think and the police happen to always know how fast your going!!!:D

Oh and Decosse just suggested to set the suspension per this site - http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm and go from there. check it out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts