Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum is not what my bank account needs :D!

I Love the triple engine, don't get me wrong, but I am a fiend for power. I also want to make every bonnie and thruxton owner as jealous as possible! Trophies are selling for around 2500 out here...very tempting, and seems like a very easy swap. Just throw on the subframe and bodywork from my bike on the trophy and I'll have myself a 1200cc legend cafe racer!

Let the gripes begin!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You can get a lot more performance out of that triple without a lot of work and and blow away the Bonnie and Thruxton folks.

All of the sport models used the same motor as our bikes.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
This forum is not what my bank account needs :D!

Just throw on the subframe and bodywork from my bike on the trophy and I'll have myself a 1200cc legend cafe racer!

Let the gripes begin!
The Trophy subframe is welded IIRC & in any case is completely different to a classic subframe, so quite a bit of work involved to fit classic body panels etc.

Trophy 1200 motors have been fitted to our frames. Pretty much a bolt up except the odd wiring or water pipe mod & likely swapping an airbox for pods. (The latter reckoned easier with Keihins than Mikunis.)

Trophy 12s were 108hp, I think early ones maybe 120hp? All the Trident, Trophy, Speed Triple, Daytona & Sprint T3 motors were the same internally - 98hp. Not a lot of difference, a bit more torque with the 1200, but also more weight. The Super III is about 115hp & Daytona 1200 about 147hp, but those motors will be quite rare.

I would think Al's Legend with Green cams & FCRs + pods must be close to 95hp ? If it isn't quite there it would only be the exhaust holding it back & you could fit a nice 3-1 like a Thunderbike. And you get to keep the nicer looking engine.

Something to be considered with adding extra weight like a 1200 is the brakes & suspension.

Anyhow, depends what you want yourself, a 1200 motor certainly has a bit of 'presence' ;)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what would the cost of getting FCR carbs, 3-1 exhaust, pods, jetting/tuning, cams, pistons be V.S a $2500 stock trophy that already has over 100hp? I know Jaguar has done the conversion, and he got around the welded subframe on the trophy pretty easily. Seems like a weekends worth of work compared to hours and hours of tuning, test runs, more tuning...

the sweet thing about adding the legend subframe and bodywork is that you can keep the trophy front end, swingarm, wheels, and most importantly, those beefy brakes they have

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and of course, bragging rights!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't have anywhere near the wrenching ability to know where to start.

But if I saw a Cafe'd Trophy, my wife would have to hide the checkbook even more aggressively!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't even tell you how tempting this is for me! I've been comparing frames on ebay for the past 30 minutes haha. Looks like all you would have to do is chop off the trophy rear end, drill and tap holes for the thunderbird/legend subframe. seems too easy. Lining of the legend subframe wouldn't be hard, because you would have the legend main frame to make measurements from. DROOOOOL

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I think it's been done more often the other way round - motor & wheels etc swapped into a classic frame. Couple on this page with 147hp Daytona engines (& front ends & wheels)

http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/bikes1.html

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the hardest part would be sourcing all the individual parts, hoping they're in good condition. It would almost come out costing the same as a complete bike! with the trophy forks, I could just slip on the fork tubes/headlight mounts from my bike and swap triple trees to add the gauges and headlight.

·
Registered
980 Posts
BigBird

It's easier to sart with the Trophy and add the Thunderbird parts to it rather than the other way round. Best to use an earlier bike as a doner as it still had small fins on the engine which are better looking and the foot pegs are easier to fit.
You will need a Thunderbird donor bike otherwise the cost of the parts would be far too expensive.
I built mine from standard Thunderbird parts but have a Sport front end and wire wheels to fit so I can keep the twin front brakes, wouldn't suggest that a single front brake is fitted as it's quite a heavy old lump to pull up.
I have fitted it with 4 into 2 late Thunderbird Sport TORs, the sound of them at full power is worth doing the conversion for alone.
Have been too busy to refine it but must try and finish tweaking it this winter.
I have a full "Gulf Oil" body to fit to it, can't decide weather to fit the Thunderbird Sport forks and wheels ( which is an expensive option as I can always use them elsewhere) or have the original Trophy wheels powder coated in French Blue with an orange stripe to match the paintwork but think it might be a bit much.
Also need to re plumb the engine so that I can loose the oil cooler. Can't see it being needed now that the engine isn't surrounded by fairing.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Another alternative would be to swap the engine (carbs, wiring harness, etc...), suspension, brakes and wheels onto the legend frame. With two people tearing both bikes apart it shouldn't take more than a weekend to do. What problems are there with the foot pegs?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, I could put the 900 engine into the trophy and sell it as a downgraded trophy. Someone would buy it, and that would be a good way to get my money back!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm damn near committing to this. My brother and I might go halves on a good running trophy, and I'll steal the engine, suspension, brakes and wheels and slap them in my bike, and take the parts from my bike I'm not using and slap them in the trophy for my brother to ride! I'm assuming the swingarms will fit each other's frames, since the main part of the frame is so identical. Any input would be nice though!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
The shock & linkage will need to go with the swingarm, also caliper & mount.

The mudguards will need to go with their respective front ends.

Your 01 Legend igniter will likely be an 18-pin gill, the Trophy a 10-pin, so some modding required there.

Could go pods or a 3cyl Trophy airbox for the Legend motor, both would need jetting up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts