Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, have been reading this and other forums for about 6 months now (this is the best one out there).

Never belonged or posted on a forum, so for me this is a first, please be gentle!

Fantastic info on here if you look hard enough, helped me in many a dark time.

I have spent 3 months converting a very tired and corroded 2004 speedy into what I think is a cool British custom bike.

Mods:
Cocktail Shakers,
Powder coated front end and wheels,
412 11.5" shocks,
AIB kit, New chain / sprockets (17front),
Old solo seat recovered with pleats,
Bobbed & painted glass fibre rear fender,
New indicators / rear tail light / number plate,
New risers, flat bars & Triumph mirrors,
Removed - engine bars / chain guard, rear foot rests, speedo, tacho,
Added new small speedo into tacho hole, painted console,
Wrapped exhaust with kevlar wrap,
added headlight peak,
New K&N, new brake lines all round,

Whats next:
Awaiting passenger footpeg delete kickplates from triumph,
Really want a smaller front fender, I have seen a few Glass fibre versions around,
Some black or brass slotted exhaust shields,
Have a constant head wobble at 55-65mph that I cant cure, probably the tyre, so have been looking at Whitewalls (marmite though - you love them or hate em), I love them but so many don't.

What do you think??

·
Registered
48 Posts
wow. that looks serious.
I can offer No help on the wobble. But by the looks of the bike, I am sure you will figure it out.
If you weren't on the other side of an ocean I would ask you about the engine bar.

Don

Edit: try the original shocks, the change in geometry might have something to do with the wobble.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Beautiful bike I love the way it looks. the wobble could be tires. My bike did the same when the stock Metzler front was worn and was cupping. I went with Michelin Commander 2's and love them. Tho it also could be the bearings also. I would do tires first then if still happening then check the front end.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Nice! I've been wanting to put a set of those mirrors on my 2007 America but when I go to order them they say "fit America EFI models"
Does anyone knoe if they're a straight fir for the carb version bars/control's or do I need adapters?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Beautiful bike I love the way it looks. the wobble could be tires. My bike did the same when the stock Metzler front was worn and was cupping. I went with Michelin Commander 2's and love them. Tho it also could be the bearings also. I would do tires first then if still happening then check the front end.

I agree with Chis.I went to Bridgestones from the metzlers and no more problems.There's another thread on this going ATM

http://www.triumphrat.net/cruisers-america-speedmaster/717250-front-end-wobble.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I could help with the mirrors, when I bought the bike it had no history and so many mods had been badly done I can be sure if controls the mirrors mount on are efi or carbie.

The mirrors are definitely the standard Triumph ones, stamped etc, I will have a look and see if there are serial numbers and also check the size and depth of the thread for you.

I know the Clutch and brake levers are different on the efi model, so I will try to match a picture to what I have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wobble

I agree with Chis.I went to Bridgestones from the metzlers and no more problems.There's another thread on this going ATM

http://www.triumphrat.net/cruisers-america-speedmaster/717250-front-end-wobble.html
Thanks both, I have tried slacking off all of the front end bolts, bouncing it and re-tightening it, all the bearing seem fine too.

I would have changed the tyres straight away, but they were both brand new (the only thing on the bike in good condition when I got it), they are Avon Cobra's, not something i would recommend.

I really wanted to move to whitewall's and found some nice Maxxis that seem to get a lot of praise, so if I cant sort the wobble, I will just change them over.

However the front on the Maxxis is a 120/90, not the standard 110/80, I have done this on many other bikes, not read anything about changing front tyre sizes on the speedy though???

It might change the speedo a bit, but as I have a digital one that I can calibrate based on gps speed, its easy to adjust.:grin2:

·
Registered
935 Posts
I wish I could help with the mirrors, when I bought the bike it had no history and so many mods had been badly done I can be sure if controls the mirrors mount on are efi or carbie.

The mirrors are definitely the standard Triumph ones, stamped etc, I will have a look and see if there are serial numbers and also check the size and depth of the thread for you.

I know the Clutch and brake levers are different on the efi model, so I will try to match a picture to what I have.
Thanks for that.I believe if they're threaded they'll fit.I was led to believe the modern ones had no thread but tightened by a nut underneath.Hence the adapters.I'm out of Australia ATM but I'll phone Triumph when I get back.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If the tires are new they shouldn't be cupped but who knows?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts