Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that got your attention didn`t it?

If you are aged 40+ (thats about everyone apart from Cory) PLEASE check out this site and all the links on the left hand side. Just do it guys, you think it will never happen but it does.

http://www.prostate.org.au/about-prostate-cancer.php

It`s a killer and we are in the most vunerable age group.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I had one as an exam for a job about 20 years ago. My favorite part was when he said, "now just relax".

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Your PSA (prostate-specific antigen) should be taken every year after 50. It's painless blood test and will show your doctor and you if you have an elevated count. To high a protein count could be an precurser indicator of a prostate problem.

I might suggest that if your having trouble uninating, you should start a regiment of saw palmeto. It doesn't effect anyting but your prostate. It can be bought at any Pharmacy and is one of the only known natural remedies to actually works, according to the food and drug administration. It will shrink the size of the prostate and allow you to urinate much easier. I use it in my vitamin regiment everyday and I have the same flow as I did as a teenager.

Gentleman don't be shy about having it checked. The rectal exam is only necessary if you have a higher count. Some doctors do it as a precautionary exam but it's better to be safe than sorry. Early detection can result with much better outcomes. Generally with an elevated PSA count rising beyond 15 ng/ml the doctor will put you on a horomone therapy. Below are measured PSA levels. Rising PSA levels over a period can indicate problems but not necessarily cancer.

0 to 2.5 ng/mL is low.
2.6 to 10 ng/mL is slightly to moderately elevated.
10 to 19.9 ng/mL is moderately elevated.
20 ng/mL or more is significantly elevated

I know some of you may not like talking about this but it is important after your 50. Do it for yourself, your family or the dog but just do it. It will improve your life and help keep you healthy well into your later years.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Yep, PSA test and the "finger" every year; but..........next time I'm asking the doctor to use 2 fingers!! I want a SECOND OPINION!!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't let that one pass: Jim

·
Registered
784 Posts
..........next time I'm asking the doctor to use 2 fingers!! I

Sorry, I just couldn't let that one pass: Jim
But with two fingers nothing can pass.
Seriously, on the positive side, in the UK if you are having any treatment for a high Neeson index the little blue pills are free.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm 44 and my father did have prostate cancer. It was detected early enough that they were able to remove all of it through a simple surgery. The only drawback out of the situation was that he has lost some bladder control - although it has improved over the last few years. So I guess it's time to do the minimum security prison mambo and get that thing checked out.

Have to make sure to ask him to take his wedding ring off first though! :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
..... very timely Rob - I turned 50 last month and had already decided that I'd get a full medical, visit to Optometrist,etc.

Prostate exam was the bit I wasnt looking foward to - Dr told me the prostate test was a 3 prong thing - family history,digital examination,and blood test.Excellent! - I thought - no finger up the date - until his next sentence was 'come through here and we'll get better acquainted':eek:

Very quick and not as bad as I'd expected.

Grant:cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts
i thought this thread was going to be about insults hurled at cage drivers when they cut us off!

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
My doc told me that every guy over 40 should be taking a selenium tablet once per day to ward off prostate cancer. Seemingly selenium an natural element is deficient in most countries soils, inc NZ, (it's provided naturally in some vegetables), so he recommended taking it as a supplement.

I've also read recently that there has been a recent breakthru in curing prostate cancer but is under test and won't be available for 5-10 years. Meanwhile it's surgical removal or seed radiation with its possible incontinence and impotence side affects.

As Rob indicates, get it checked, if the cancer spreads outside the prostate it is pretty lethal.

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
The Qld Govt are sending around the do it yourself stool sample for bowel cancer now too. All men that turn 50/55/60 get the free kit to do the test in the comfort of their own home.

Very funny jim :D

Grant, so are you saying that you enjoyed it? :suspicious:

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I get checked at least every two years. No one..well most of us do not like it but it beats prostate cancer. It is a horrible way to go especially when it can be avoided.

·
Premium Member
17,479 Posts
Tbird, I'd like to clarify your statement; while incontinence and impotence are possible with any prostate cancer treatment, the risks are much lower for radiation treatments than for radical prostatectomy.

denman, better a wedding ring than

Boy, the spell checker had fun with 'prostatectomy.' :D

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
..... very timely Rob - I turned 50 last month and had already decided that I'd get a full medical, visit to Optometrist,etc.

Prostate exam was the bit I wasnt looking foward to - Dr told me the prostate test was a 3 prong thing - family history,digital examination,and blood test.Excellent! - I thought - no finger up the date - until his next sentence was 'come through here and we'll get better acquainted':eek:

Very quick and not as bad as I'd expected.

Grant:cool:
The first time I had it done, it was the same story. The doctor was a HUGE Islander, a Tongan or Samoan or something and he had a hand like a bunch of Bananas.

I was looking at his giant fingers and starting to get REAL worried. I asked him if I could skip the digital rectal examination and just have the blood test. He just laughed his head off and said "That`s what most guys say!" He got one of the lady doctors to the DRE instead!! Thankfully she had long thin fingers!

It was over quickly with a minimum of discomfort. No worries.

Lee, you should be doing this every year, not every two years.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts