Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Denver, CO United States of America
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just returned home from a solo road trip to New Mexico...I left Denver last Thursday going to Colorado Springs the back way then heading out on Hwy 24 to Buena Vista and rode south to Santa Fe where I spent the night. On the ride to Santa Fe the wind was blowing fiercely from the SSW and it brought smoke from the fires in Arizona. The sky was very hazy and the smoke hung in the valleys. When I woke up Friday morning my Bonnie was lightly covered with ash from the fires. Friday I rode to southern New Mexico and destinated in La Mesilla. I spent the weekend riding around the area with Andy, "Charro" on the forum. Andy was a fantastic tour guide and we rode south of Mesilla to his village of La Mesa. From there we rode over to where El Paso, Juarez, and the southeast corner of New Mexico meet. It was enlightening for me to see this area, as it gets a lot of press in the media. I returned to Santa Fe on Monday morning and returned to Denver Tuesday riding through Taos...I road the old 2 lane highways for pretty much the complete trip unless they ran out and I was forced to jump on the slab for runs totalling around 40-50 miles. I covered nearly 2,000 miles and rode through some beautiful areas of southern Colorado and the desert of New Mexico. I met a lot of nice people in the Mesilla area and all along my travels through Colorado and New Mexico. My Bonnie ran flawlessly and I averaged 55-60 mpg. I road some 2 lanes and didn't see another vehicle, or person, for 40 miles or more on a stretch...I had a tremendous sense of freedom during the whole trip. Sadly, reality set it upon my return to Denver Friday late in the afternoon....Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I'm already thinking of where I can go next...I had an absolute blast!!!! I am posting some pictures below and you can see the haze from the smoke blown in from Arizona.

Ton Up? Hell Yea!!!

Just Came Over La Veta Pass In Southern Colorado

Coming Into Taos...You Can See The Smoke

Church in Manzano, New Mexico

Ton Up? You Know The Answer...

Some Of My Harley Buddies That Ride Over To Mesilla From El Paso

Southern Rocky Mountain Range Returning Into Colorado

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Yep!!....That's what It's all about. Doesn't get any better than that.

Nice pics

·
Registered
476 Posts
WOW - great shots and what a blast you must have had. Sure makes me want to hit the open road, which I plan to do within the next couple of months - and I to plan on going solo !

Enjoyed the pictures and story to go along with them !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey! Im actually getting ready to fly into Albuquerque on Sunday and riding back to Denver. Unfortunately I have to do it in one day (picking up my bonnie I bought on eBay). I am thinking of skipping I25 the whole way and going up through Taos. Im a little nervous about not having cell coverage (have a new baby). This just makes me even more excited for my adventure this weekend!

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is fantastic!! I need to make a trip like this. My buddy and I keep talking about it...and talking...and talking....

Pictures are so inspiring.

Thanks for sharing. Seems to be lots of us from Denver!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Good work mate...it looks like it was fun:D

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I love doing trips like that. you can cover a lot of ground in 6 days.
and fabulous photos.

my ambition is to do a long ride in USA throughout the west and in the UK from Lands end to John O' Groats. Pretty much ridden all over Australia
can you hire Bonnies in the UK and USA?
if not may just ship my own over

·
Registered
129 Posts
Those are cool pics sounds like a real great was had by you, did the tank cargo bag interfere when you were riding?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Now that's the kind of trip I'm talking about

What a beautiful trip! And imagine getting 230 miles out of a tank of gas. I can't get mine over 43 MPG in town and 48 MPG on the highway but it's got carbs. Hmmmm, you've got me thinking - A brand new bike really *will* pay for itself over time! :D
Thanks for the write-up and photos.
Cheers,

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Excellent trip, great report and fab photos. It shows that the right way to do a long ride is to go at the right "pace" on roads that one enjoys.

·
Registered
190 Posts
68T120R, you are a tougher guy than I; No windscreen. I normally tour on my BMW R1200RT and really enjoy the electric windshield and cruise control. I just finished touring in some of the area you posted, but we mainly rode farther north, around the AZ-UT border. My Bonnie is now equipped with a windscreen. Riding it about 500 miles (since new) indicated I needed a windscreen at speeds over about 50 mph. I have done only one overnight tour on the Bonniville, and it did very well after I added the 'screen. However, I think I need to do some work on the seat before I tackle any longer tours.

·
Premium Member
Denver, CO United States of America
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Deek, the wind really wasn't an issue for me at speeds up to around 65 mph...I wore a 3/4 Davida Speedster helmet, goggles, and I used a Davida leather mask for speeds around 70 mph and above. To answer vlmuke's question about the tank bag causing any issues...none at all. In fact, it might have deflected the wind somewhat off my chest. The leather mask saved my face from the intense sun, wind burn, and of course those insects that were splattered all over my leather jacket, helmet, and goggles...hahaha I know some folks install windshields or dart screens but for me personally it wasn't a consideration....

Bob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts