Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a great dealon a 2003 Sprint with allthe luggage for a song! Other than the test-rides, I haven't even had time to play with it yet. It needs new tires, and being from the northwest where its often pretty wet, thats a must before I get to crazy.

Just wanted to say hi and look forward to learning a lot of tipps and tricks to get the most out of this ride!

She's beautiful!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hi Cuyose,

Great buy and hope you'll have many miles of smiles. From another that is in the PNW and all that the rain implies I can heartily recommend Metzler Z-6's. Over 6k with about half in the wet and not hardly a wiggle wet or dry.

Don

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks don! that was my next line of buiness to research tires. I hear Avons and Pilot Powers/Sports are also good choices?

I figure I can get the 18 tooth sprocket installed as well as lng as they have the wheels and chain off to do the tires.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Hi Cuyose,
welcome aboard and congrats on your new "steal" of a bike! :razz:

If I may say something about tyres.

For sport touring tyres these are the most popular here:

Metzeler Z6 (Donskis favourite and well liked here)

Avon Azaro 45 / 46 ST (I have experience with them very good in the wet also and long life like the Metzeler Z6)

Continental Road Attack (well thought of by some)

Michelin Pilot Road (very popular and long lasting)

For more hard sports type riding I would recommend :

Michelin Pilot Power (read my review in review section, pics in my album)

Dunlop Qualifier ( read my review also in review section)

Bridgestone Battlax BT 002 (NOT 020, also my review in review section).

In brief the sports tyres will be much stickier and steer much faster but you will loose longevity.

It really Depends what you want.

The Pilot Power is the fastest steering sports tyre I have ridden on in recent years but has a twitchy front end if the surface is uneven.

Do a search there's a lot been said about tyres. Feel free to ask about any as I have ridden on many of them.

good luck bargain man! :)

Davem :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Welcome to a great bike!

I've had two sets of Azaros, and am now trying the z6's. The main difference I can feel is that the z6's have a rounder profile. They don't fall into the corner as easily. Having said that, a small dose of counter steer has me leaning further than I did with the Avons. I think it is because that drop in is more progressive I trust them more.

The wet weather performance seems pretty close, and I am now waiting to see if I can get 6000m out of a rear with the z6 as I did with the Avon!

Just a word of caution.... I don't think the chain has to come off for a tyre change. I don't know how many miles your current chain and sprocket set has on it, but if they look well worn and hooked on the 19t one, you might want to change as a set..... Triumph do do an 18T chain set for the ST. Don't let the parts guy tell you that you will have to have a 19T set and then buy an additional 18T. The early sprints ran an 18T set, and after some prompting my service manager found it. Sorry, I can't find the number for it, but it is there!!

Enjoy a fantastic bike!!

Rexx

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Maybe I will hold off on the 18 T untill I get a god feel for the bike as it is currently set up. It only has 7500 miles on it and I picked it up for $5K, pretty screaming deal with full hard set luggage.

Chain obviously is still good,

I have a set of BT020's on my Bandit and love em. I am a new rider though and even though the Bandit as I have it set up has more power than I know what to do with,, the BT020 rear has a good 4K miles on it and it still looks pretty new. I think a lot of it has to do with the cool road temps around here for anything but the hottest spells in the summer.

Is the fuel regulator rig-up pretty much a no-brainer as wether to do it or not? I work on my own cycles and the process isn't a problem, but just wanted to know on a scale of 1-10, 1 being "don't do it, you will have fuel leaks everywhere and it wont do anything for ridability", and 10 being, "I can't for the life of me figure out why it isnt set up this way stock?"

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Cuyose, and welcome to the group.

Great choice on a great bike. Helluva deal too!

Tires: have just over 4000 km's on Pilot Powers, and love them. Very sure footed handling with lots of feedback.

Get a battery trickle charger if you don't already have one. The battery seems to not hold an adequate charge for much more than a week or so if Sprint is not ridden.

There are no end of knowledgable people here who willingly share their experiences and advice.

Enjoy the new ride!

Mark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am calling to try and get some tires installed today.

Hopefully going a week without riding isn't goin to happen! I ride almost eveyday towork, as it rarely gets to cold toride her ein the pacific northwest.

I do have one question though, maybe this should be in another thread, but how do you remover the Top Hard Box?

I can turn the key and see the lock is disengaging, but no idea what way to manuever the box to disengage it from its tracks.

Before I start horking on my new Sprint,I figure I would ask.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome Aboard Cuyose!
I have an 03 ST as well and I am thrilled with it!
You can do a search on the FP mod and find all the opinions relating to it. The mod is a 10 in my opinion and I think since you are comfortable turning a wrench, ride the bike for awhile and do it yourself so you truly understand what it does for you. If the results are not dramatic, give it a little more crush. I did mine in place like they describe on the Tiger forum however, there are many opinions on methodologies to accomplish this.
Best of luck and enjoy your "New" ride!
:razz:

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Hi,

The principle of the Topbox fitting is that it has a rearward facing channel along the front edge of the under side that you engage with the front bar of the rack by resting the box on the rack and pulling the whole thing back towards you.

Then you pull the sliding release handle back towards you. The box drops into place on the rack, and when you release the handle a plate slides under the rear bar of the rack holding it all in place.

With mine I need to add a little downwards pressure on the box to get the release handle to snap back, but that is because there is a small rubber pad on the underside of my box where it sits on the rack (not sure if the previous owner put it there) that needs compressing sometimes.

SO to remove the box do the reverse....

Turn key to release lock (horizontal is unlocked I think). hook your fingers under the bottom edge of the box below the handle. You should find a recess for your fingers. This is the release handle. Pull it straight back towards you and then ease the back of the box upwards to pull it clear of the rack and then push it forwards slightly to release the front channel.

Hope this helps! It's harder to describe than do!

Rexx

[ This message was edited by: RexxyPup on 2006-12-11 02:07 ]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, it's a good'un. Color? (Blue's fastest ;-) ) Photos? My '03 just turned over 8K. I'm looking at Avon Azaro ST45/ST46 tires to replace the OEM's.

[ This message was edited by: TXRyder on 2006-12-11 20:44 ]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I just figured out the top box removal, I didn't have a chance to really look at the mechanism, but once I saw the hand slide/pull thing I got it figured out.

It's silver and just had a set of Metzler z6'slapped on it yesterday, but wouldnt you know it, it started pouring while I was waiting and I had a 30 mile ride home with new skins in the rain. That had me a little nervous.

On top of that, today, which I was really looking frward to riding to work at least, has been the windiest/wettest day we have had in a long time, and that is coming off of a record setting wet November!

Arggg, i think the gods are alighned against me!

·
Registered
694 Posts
As others have said it's a good idea to replace both the chain and sprockets at the same time. Also, If your ST has a Regina brand chain on it, seriously consider replacing it with a W ring DID, or RK brand chain. they have less resistance, and do a better job of keeping the lubricant inside the chain roller clearances.

I had an 05 Trophy 4 that went thru it's Regina chain in only 9000 miles! It required adjustment at least every 1000 miles( chain slack set to Triumph spec each time). When I sold the bike at 21,000 miles the RK W ring had only been adjusted twice in 12,000 miles! Good equipment! Welcome to the world of the ST! tommyturbo2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts