Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hello, really like the site, I've already learned alot. just got delivery on my T100. Super Ultra Bitchin if I do say so myself. My oldest thinks its an old man bike (he rides a GSXR) but I told him as he matures and his taste in the finer things developes he'll come to realize what a sweet tastey thing it really is. I am soooo stoked. anyway, just thought i'd share that. going to try and put as many miles on it as I can this weekend nothing over 4k rpm im told for the first 500 miles or so etc... etc... etc... I welcome any advice on this critical time as well as any advice on mods etc...
Let me say again I AM SO STOKED! :D

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Uber...Baby, you gotta get into this motorcycle thing. Don't hold back all Goth-like and emotionless. Get excited! :D

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
SO WHERE"S THE FUROR????:confused:

Main Entry: fu·ror javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?furor001.wav=furor')Function: noun Etymology: Middle French & Latin; Middle French, from Latin, from furere to rage Date: 15th century 1: an angry or maniacal fit : rage2: fury 43: a fashionable craze : vogue4 a: furious or hectic activity b: an outburst of public excitement or indignation : uproar

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I rode mine like I stole it and its a sweet little beasty now!!! Bafflectomy done yet?? Have fun riding with your son - that is cool.I do that every chance I get.

When I was 20 I wanted a Ninja and thought Bonnevilles were the lamest old fashioned junk. How we change!!

Tell your son when the Gixxer gets old and obsolete no one will care about it and it will end up on Craigslist for $100 with no title whereas the Bonny will always find a buyer willing to put her in his dining room for the winter. Maybe him if he is a good boy.

·
30,308 Posts
Haggis,

Getting all worked up and frenzied is far too much like hard work. Since becoming a pointy haired boss, I have hired a guy to do it for me. I call him Bernard. Bernard - go for it.

:gooff:

So while he's doing that, let me add my welcome to UberX. The Bonneville is fine choice of bike. I have botha a Ninja and a Bonnie, and the Bonnie gets a LOT more riding than the Ninja!

Good choice of bike! Welcome aboard, and let's see some pictures of the new lovely! Try not to let that Gixxer get in them - they're real needy machines!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Congrats on the Bonnie, Uber!! By the way, your son has good taste also! My 02 Gixxer was one of my favorite bikes that I ever owned.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I rode mine like normal during break-in, and now the bike runs like it was made for me. Welcome and congrats!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Congrats and welcome. I completely understand the enthusiasm. Hell, I'm still stoked two months after I got mine...:D

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Prop:

I like Bernie.... Is it OK if I call him Bernie?

I'd like to borrow him from time to time.

I rode my bonnie hard from the beginning. I rode my Sprint during break in time according to the manual. My bonnie has never skipped a beat. My Sprint had valve problems!

And before you tell me engineers created the break in schedule: I'm not an engineer, and don't understand a word they say!!!!:gooff: Go for it Bernie!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Picked up an 08 silver Bonnie on Thursday. Still Smiling.

I've been lusting after a Bonneville for 3 years. Didn't plan on buying
one, but the dealer had two 08's left that he needed to move, so I got a nice deal. After a chilly test ride and a cup of coffee, I just couldn't say no. You know how it is!

This bike is fantastic! My only motorcycle experience is with 40+ year old hondas-Fun to ride, but not exactly smooth and not always cooperative. The Triumph is quite the opposite. Modern engineering is breathtaking.

My dad rode a 63 bonnie for many years...must be in my blood.

I just wish it were not 25 degrees outside. She got a little too cold yesterday and did not want to start:(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for making me feel at home, went riding with my son and his friend up in Palos Verdes (so cal) today, put about 75 miles on it, runs like a champ, dealer told me to stay around 4k rpm up to third gear for the first 500 and shell be nice and quick after, so thats what I'm doing.
would love to hear any other opinoins on the break in though. my buddy has a thruxton and he says to keep it below 4k but run through all the gears... which is really best?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome Uber, and all the best with the new bike!
I bought a new silver bonnie 3 months ago, done about 2800 kms on it so far.
In regard to running it in, I just make sure I give it a good warmup before riding.
I didn't worry about taking it easy with the throttle.
Mine doesn't have a tacho, but I could feel when the engine was tight.
At about the 2000 km mark I thought it was starting to rev out more freely.
It had its first oil and filter change around the 1000 km mark, I am going to do the oil and filter again at 5000 km.
I am running Mobil full synthetic 15/50w.
If you find the standard suspension is tying itself in knots as you round up your young bloke on his gixxer, it is a relatively cheap exercise to upgrade the shocks and front springs.
I put Ikons on mine.
Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't remember how exactly I broke mine in. I remember being afraid of lugging it—even for a second. All I know is 21,000 miles later, she still rides perfectly and screams like a banshee when I want it.

·
30,308 Posts
I honestly think the break in procedure is laid out because people expect to see one. I went on a factory tour a couple of times, and they were taking fresh engines off the line and running them up to redline on the test bench - straight there from fresh. I think it's a case of vary the load, make sure you run it through the rev range - and enjoy it. That's what I did with mine, it runs great. Didn't worry about rev limits or anything.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
all great advice thank you. I'll ride it hard and put it away wet. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I ran my '08 Bonnie Black like I would normally ride from the start. I did vary the RPM's a little until the first service. Took it up to 105 mph indicated at around 400 miles briefly. (Couldn't wait to break the ton.) After that it was good to go!

If you're putting it away for the winter and it gets below freezing, fill the tank, add a stabilzer to the fuel and pull the battery. Put the battery on a Battery Tender. Get the tires off the concrete with a stand or at the very least move the bike every now and then to prevent flat spots on the tires.

You will be good to go come spring! :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
The magical mystery break in procedure has always induced a bit of paranoia in me. I've had a few moments of "Oh S**t! Did I just rev it too hard? Did I crack a piston? Is the engine going to blow up and spew scalding oil and cause me to flip end over end into a school bus killing every one in sight and totally destroying my brand new bike?":eek:

...Ok, maybe not THAT paranoid.

It seems like the break in was much more crucial for older bikes. The owners manual for my dad's old honda dream is vague at best:
"Do not ride at excessive speeds until the engine is run-in (1500 miles)"

Still, it begs the question - What is "excessive"? Seems pretty subjective to me. I asked my dealer about break in for my Bonnie. He said "Just don't abuse it, and you'll be fine."

Perhaps it's better to speak in more general terms such as this, rather than worry about RPM's and MPH.

That just makes me paranoid.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Social D,
I know Lennox well, made many a trip to the dime store in my high school daze. hows life in the windy city compared to la? I dabble in option trading so someday i want to get out there to visit the CBOE.
best of luck with the bike.
~X~
:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can't imagine it being to cold to ride, let alone packing the bike away for the winter? What's up with that?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts