Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When at a stop light in Texas on a bike (sportbike in particular), there is a 96% chance that any truck stopped in the lane next to you will take off at full speed and max rev when the light turns green according to a survey I just made up for this post.

Seriously, is it just here? Nothing against trucks - I wish I had one so I could get the bike around easier. Over the years I've pulled up next to camaros, corvettes, chargers, vipers, even lambos, you name it. Usually those owners will glance over and give a couple of approving nods. But I pull up to an f-150, ram 1500, whatever...vroom vroom.

Really? really? See thread title.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
It's mostly a TX thing, I'm from there and it isn't quite the same here in TN.

BTW, took me actually holding up my hand as you described to get it, and yes, I'd agree.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Back in the day when I had my Ninja I had a D-bag in a souped up chevy nova try to race me from a dead stop...I actually did my first wheelie...by mistake...during that run...

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's not so much the truck guys in Wisconsin, but I get a lot of the young guys in Hondas and whatever with the fat pipes trying to race me. Unfortunately for them, they never seem to modify the performance of the motor, just make it loud and buzzy.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I just think that since you freely admit that you wouldn't mind having a pickup you are tuned into them somehow and there's actually a stark raving mad Soccer Mom in her SUV almost ready to run up your tailpipe you're totally ignoring.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just think that since you freely admit that you wouldn't mind having a pickup you are tuned into them somehow and there's actually a stark raving mad Soccer Mom in her SUV almost ready to run up your tailpipe you're totally ignoring.

Heh Now those I have to look out for while I'm actually moving. I've never had one of the above mentioned truck drivers try to commit lane change murder on me - thats a totally different thread that I'm sure already exists.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When at a stop light in Texas on a bike (sportbike in particular), there is a 96% chance that any truck stopped in the lane next to you will take off at full speed and max rev when the light turns green according to a survey I just made up for this post.

Seriously, is it just here? Nothing against trucks - I wish I had one so I could get the bike around easier. Over the years I've pulled up next to camaros, corvettes, chargers, vipers, even lambos, you name it. Usually those owners will glance over and give a couple of approving nods. But I pull up to an f-150, ram 1500, whatever...vroom vroom.

Really? really? See thread title.
I'm in Dallas and I've definitely noticed this too... absolutely NO clue why people driving trucks feel like anything crazy or loud they do will impress, well... anyone for that matter. :confused:

Of course, the majority of rev happy motorists happen to be driving junked up old hoopties with multi-color body panels or primer all over. Big fav was a decrepit old V6 (yes V6) Mustang with plenty of chrome... can't do anything but laugh and shake my head.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
The truck guys here in the Pittsburgh area are mostly obnoxious. If they aren't hogging the passing lane, they're tailgating anyone in front of them.

I don't know what it is about pickups, but if you take a normal guy and put him in a truck, he becomes Super Ego Man. All must then move out of Super Ego Man's way because the world is his. It's pathetic, really.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I had it happen to me, too, but not a pickup. Almost everyone around here has at least one pickup and no one thinks anything of them. For me it was some young men in some ugly little ricer car. We were at a stop light and they started hanging out the window yelling, "Hey, Ninja Ninja! Race us, Ninja, Ninja!" Well, I had just been through that area and knew the little town 2 miles south was running radar. They had 4 cops and only 300 people there and tickets were how that town supported itself. So I let them take off, and gee, guess what? When I caught back up to them, one of those cops had them pulled over, ha ha ha!

I also figured they had no idea the biker they were trying to bait was a 40 year old woman who thought, geez, idiot kids!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Whistling turbo, over fueled, diesel dualies with back of cab stovepipe chimneys spewing black smoke and noise.

That's the cool ticket 'round these parts.

Bonus points for rubber testicles dangling from the pintle hitch.

H

·
0 Posts
The truck guys here in the Pittsburgh area are mostly obnoxious. If they aren't hogging the passing lane, they're tailgating anyone in front of them.

I don't know what it is about pickups, but if you take a normal guy and put him in a truck, he becomes Super Ego Man. All must then move out of Super Ego Man's way because the world is his. It's pathetic, really.
Cruel Lefty, cruel. I bought my pickup to save me from texting teeanagers and soccor moms beating the kids in the back seat.

They also come in handy when you need to haul a bike or two. I am not an ego maniac as you protray truckers to be. Old, slow, mild mannered, easly spooked, let rice burners have their way always, stay in my lane and never, ever tail gate.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Yes, actually pickup trucks are wonderful things. What else seats 6, can haul a bunch of hay, pull a trailer, bring home any remodeling supplies, a bike, a tractor and go through snow with no problem? I don't like the gas mileage, but hey, that's one of the reasons I have a bike. The bike is perfectly capable for most of my running around.

As for driving one like a maniac, I'm not sure how you would except on straight roads that are well paved. The darn thing would tip over if I tried to hit curves with any kind of speed. Really, once you hit over 80mph they can handle pretty badly.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Ditto down here in Floriduh. 90% of those big diesel dallies are driven by aggressive a-holes. Scary when I'm on the bike and they ride right up on me. :mad:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. I work with a "little guy with a BIG truck". He's definitely compensating. He's added bush whacker bars and chrome step rails (he's short and needs them to climb in I think). He has a F250 but I'm sure he'd have bought the 350 if he could have afforded it. He scurries around like a rat all day here.
:LaughAtYou

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
A few times in my life, I've amused myself by revving my engine and lurching forward to taunt the show-off next to me into racing. When the light changes, I just ease forward like a little old lady, and laugh my silly head off as they guy zooms away from me. It's good, wholesome family fun and doesn't happen often enough.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Around here, snowbird heaven, most of the diesel dualies have just pulled their 5th wheeles in from up north. I have changed my route home in the afternoon to the avoid area around Walmart and all the little old ladies trying to wheel their trucks into the parking lot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts