Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 09 S3 with about 900 miles on it. I just had the suspension
adjusted. I'm 6' 225lbs. I assumed the factory setup would not be
optimal for my size and weight. I asked the dealer if they could set
up the bike for me, but they recommended someone who specializes in
suspension setup.

The rear static sag was 10mm and the laden sag was 46mm. Essentially
the problem I had was that the rear was too low and the front too
high. He adjusted the laden sag to 35mm which resulted in a static
sag of 4mm. He would have preferred a static sag of 5mm, but this was
a compromise due to my weight. Ideally, I should have a stiffer
spring. If anyone's changed out the spring on the rear shock, I'd be
interested in hearing about what you did. BTW, the S3 manual clearly
states "The rear suspension unit spring pre-load is not rider
adjustable. Any attempt to adjust the spring pre-load could result in
a dangerous riding condition leading to loss of control and an
accident". Why do you think they say this? It's clearly adjustable.

The front static sag was 21mm and the laden sag was 35mm. He adjusted
the laden sag to 39mm.

The rear compression is set to 3/4 turns, whereas the factory is set
to 2 turns and recommends 1.5 turns for a firmer ride. So, he really
firmed up the rear. Once again this is probably due to my weight.

The front compression is set to 1 3/4 turns, whereas the factory is set
to 2 turns and recommends 1.5 turns for a firmer ride.

The rebound is still a bit of a mystery to me.

The rear rebound is set to 2 turns as the factory recommends.

The front rebound is set to 3/4 turns. The factory rebound is set to 2
and recommends 1.5 for a firmer ride. At 3/4 turns does my bike now
rebound quicker or slower? I'm assuming quicker.

I haven't put many miles on the bike since changing the setup. It's
been raining in Austin. I've made the following observations on the
few miles I have put on it. It seems to corner sharper and not drift
on me. I have significantly more road feedback through the front
wheel.

Any comments?

Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm 210lbs. The stock springs are too light for us. I recommend that you buy the book "Total Control" by Lee Parks. Among many very good pointers, it tells you how to setup suspension in an easy to understand and get it right format.

The preload is going to be at the max with stock springs.

I'm getting a Penske rear made for my 2008 S3. Then re-spring and valve for street plus track days.

I strongly recommend looking for a GMD Computrack shop near you. They are in my opinion, the best for motorcycle frame and suspension work.

Have fun with S3!
Regards
Larry

·
Registered
445 Posts
dumbdog,
You live in the right place............Roger Albert at Onroad Offroad suspension can confirm your settings. I am not sure where in Austin he is, but I can vouch for him. He set my track bike up yesterday and I have never been as confident. As hard as i tried, I could not find the edge of grip. A combination of he is that good, and I am that slow????????

Tell him the guy on the SV with the flat battery sent you............

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
It seems to corner sharper and not drift on me. I have significantly more road feedback through the front
wheel.
Seems a bit too harsh a setup for my liking. Especially the rear. I'm sure it feels great on smooth roads, but I suspect on first sharp bump the bike will kick you off the seat.

Of course I am not suspension guru, so the guy who did your setup might know something I don't.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 07 s3 was 2 full turns out on compression and rebound holy mashed potatoes and I'm only 155 lbs. I have it at 3/4 out now and feels much safer to me. I still think it dives a little to much under hard braking but its decent for a street bike, nice for the pot holes out here:(. I think this is the first sport bike that I've had that actually has the right spring rate for my weight!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dumbdog,
You live in the right place............Roger Albert at Onroad Offroad suspension can confirm your settings. I am not sure where in Austin he is, but I can vouch for him. He set my track bike up yesterday and I have never been as confident. As hard as i tried, I could not find the edge of grip. A combination of he is that good, and I am that slow????????

Tell him the guy on the SV with the flat battery sent you............
Small world, Roger did my setup, so no need to confirm. :) Since I'm slow... as well, all should be good. At what track?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Puzzling setup. Loose and mellow front with quite a bit of rebound damping. Stiff rear with not much rebound damping at all.

I think I'll give it a go as my weight is in the same ballpark. It would be interesting to know what the guy who did the setup was after with the rebound settings.

·
Registered
445 Posts
MSR. He also sorted my mates KTM SD and it was night and day. My battery went flat at the end of the day and he brought his generator over and charged my battery so I could ride the last session. Top bloke. Rather tasty on his SV also

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Any comments?
I gave your setup a try and it does feel more planted and some of the fast bounciness on front is reduced quite a bit.

I found it a bit too harsh, especially on the back, but a slightly mellower version of the setup seems quite good. I think the added rebound damping on the front was the key to stabilizing things.

***ORIGINAL TEXAS GURU SETUP:
FRONT
PRELOAD 3.25
COMP 1.75
REBOUND 0.75

BACK
PRELOAD 3
COMP 0.75
REBOUND 2

***MARTIN'S MELLOWER VERSION:
FRONT
PRELOAD 3.25
COMP 1.85
REBOUND 0.75

BACK
PRELOAD 3
COMP 1.5
REBOUND 2

·
Registered
97 Posts
Martin - I just want to clarify what you mean by the the preload figures in your setup above. Are these the actual static sag figures you got or do you mean number of turns from fully in (as the handbook states)?

Just a bit confused because if these are "turns out" they would be softer than standard

I realise sag adjustment will vary from bike to bike (and with rider weight). I'm hoping this setup will give me a decent starting point until I can get someone to give me a hand with measuring the sag. I'm a bit taller and heavier but it has to be better than factory settings!!

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Hi,

front preload is "stripes visible". So a bit more than three.
Rear preload is threads visible above adjuster nut.

All others are turns out from fully closed.

Yes, my setup is softer than stock on the front. Mainly due to the front's inability to deal with sharp fast bumps. If you wind the front to nice and solid for smooth pavement, then it will be jolting and bucking on any small bump you might encounter in a corner.

My settings are for '09, don't know if the internal shim stacks have been changed, but the newer suspension feels a bit firmer than old 2005. Might also just be that '09 is factory fresh.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks Martin.

I had expected the rear to be softer but not the front. Its only 0.25, I'll probably leave the front where it is to allow for my extra weight for now. Mine is 08, not aware of any changes.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I too thought the pro-shop front settings looked softish, but is seems to work better for me, even if it is a bit counterintuitive. A bit softer than normal comp + preload seem to get the forks to bit better working range for my weight (105kg).

Maybe the fundamental problem on Speedy are the stupid 2 rate springs in the front. If you want them to eat up bumps you have to go soft. But then you loose the nice firm cornering and braking feel. Linear springs improved this to some extent on my old '05.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hey guys,
Suspension ignoramus here. I'm 180 pounds without gear. I use my bike in 2 functions -- street and track. What settings do you recommend for my 2003? I assume I'm going to need "street mode" and "track mode".
Any suggestions I could use for starting points would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys.

Some great feed back here. I didnt realise it was such a can of worms.

Will try the Dumbdog set up this weekend and see how things pan out.

Thanks for all the comments.

Yorkie24

1 - 16 of 16 Posts