Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all- I've got an '08 t100 that I purchased in September.
I just got Predator exhausts/the basic performance kit and had a friend install it... The BC guys are really great- super friendly/helpful... would recommend many times over.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you guys or gals might be able to help me with- as I'm planning on going on a long ride tomorrow.

1. The predators are LOUD and they sound incredible, but I live in California where they're technically illegal. Any tips / advice in regard to not getting stopped- or what to say/do if stopped or given a ticket? OR have you found that police in general don't care too much about that- after all it's nowhere near as loud as some Harleys I hear.

2.Should I expect to see changes in gas mileage or the schedule of my maintenance? (next one was scheduled for 6000 miles and I'm at 1500)

3. Just any tips/ advice you might have - or just tell me I'm worrying too much.:)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Preds ar not as loud as HD's. I have the same package you do. I lived in SD for 13 years and never had a problem. My friend has a Victory that is way louder and never had a problem. Do your service like you would on a stock bike, the only thing that changed is that it runs better,and sounds better

·
29,947 Posts
You're worrying too much!

First of all well done, nice upgrade to the bike. Secondly, if you stay off the throttle a bit going through populated areas it won't roar so much. Generally that's what causes the worst noise anyway is really gassing it. Just riding around normally you'll be alright. If you look like you're riding responsibly no one will pick up on it.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
1. The predators are LOUD and they sound incredible, but I live in California where they're technically illegal. Any tips / advice in regard to not getting stopped- or what to say/do if stopped or given a ticket? OR have you found that police in general don't care too much about that- after all it's nowhere near as loud as some Harleys I hear.
Say: "Pardon me officer, I can't hear you over the sound of my awesome pipes!"

Congrats on the bike, the mods, and stop worrying so much.

You're more likely to get hassle from your neighbours if you sit in your garage revving the heck out of it!

Like Prop said-easy on the throttle in built up areas.

·
Registered
639 Posts
How loud is loud?

The city PD motorcops in our town (Salinas, CA USA) ride Harley Electra-Glides. I had just put on my new EPCO's which are quite loud. I pulled up to a stop on the Thruxton downtown, and I could hear my pipes echoing off the buildings even at idle. I glanced to my left and there a HD motorcop just sitting on his bike at the curb watching traffic. I came to a full stop, gave him a quick wave, and then saw him starting his bike up. I thought....busted! He's gonna give me a noise ticket!!

To my surprise, when he fired up his HD, it backfired with a loud BANG, and then it roared to life with some revving...a whole lot louder than my little popper! Apparently the local gendarmes outfit their police cruisers with 'Screamin' Eagle pipes and airfilters. All the better to chase down speeders I guess.

I breathed a sigh of relief, realizing you can definitely ride quietly when you need to...just short-shift with minimal throttle, and you should be OK when you are around law enforcement. Thankfully we don't have any annual inspections of equipment or smog controls on bikes in California.

Just one of my experiences, anyway!

Cheers,
BLIGHT:motorbike:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not Bonnie related but about 20 years ago I ran a Yammy R5 350 twin with expansion pipes, one day one of the baffles blew out and it sounded 'deadly'!! All went well till I got pulled on the way home - copper "Why is dat bike so loud?"
me "sorry officer but the baffle blew out a few minutes ago"
copper "well blow it back in" as he walked back to his car :D
no ticket, no nothing :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
stay away from Stout on the Crest and you will be fine, they were cracking down in West Hollywood a while back, but I think they have moved on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts