Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very disappointed that Triumph does not come to these shows

They are the only prominent bike company that was not present.

Some dealer said it was because they did not want to pay because they are broke. It was probably just one of those stupid statements that has no validity because he does not sell triumph.

Anyway, I think they make a huge mistake by not doing these shows.

Anyone have an idea why they don't?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

Some dealer said it was because they did not want to pay because they are broke. It was probably just one of those stupid statements that has no validity because he does not sell triumph.

I don't have the answer but from what I've read, Triumph doesn't attend at many bike shows....why, I have no idea. Although, I just went to a bike show in Hartford, CT 2 weeks ago and Triumph WAS there.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

I think I'm going Sunday. How was it otherwise?

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
This topic has been discussed pretty extensively in this forum, and others on this site. Triumph has never really participated in shows, beyond whatever individual dealers decide to do. If I remember correctly, the Triumph answer is that they don't see a clear return on their investment, and put their money into demo trucks instead.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I went today - it was cold!

I stopped in and saw everything the show had to offer here in NYC. The guy at the YSS booth (card table) was not too friendly and the guy at the Ohlins booth (impressive display) was really friendly - made no sense... The Royal Enfields made an impression on me and the exhibit in the back with the old bikes was pretty cool ('59 Bonnie & 50th Anniverssary Bonnie side by side). The Progressive chicks were hot and the Ducati display was too crowded (bad floor plan design, looked like a jeweler's display).
I would have brought my camera, but I was afraid the heated garments would melt it - I rode there.
My first show, and I though it was pretty cool, could have been better though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I remember correctly, the Triumph answer is that they don't see a clear return on their investment, and put their money into demo trucks instead.

Of course that is why they choose not to participate, but I would argue that they are wrong. I work in marketing and know a little about this stuff. I am not privy to how much doing the international motorcycle show would cost them overall and would need to see that first to be sure, but there is no way that it is a long term net negative.

As far as demo trucks, I have never seen a triumph demo anywhere around nyc and we can't even do test rides at dealers here because the only triumph dealer in the city cannot do it because of insurance.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
We have this thread every year around this time.

The fact is that Triumph hasn't done the show nor do they plan to do it so stop crying about it. Very few bikes are sold at these shows.

Most of the dealers get to have an open house with the demo truck present. If your dealer doesn't have the open house or have demo bikes for you to test ride, find another dealer to visit.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Of course that is why they choose not to participate, but I would argue that they are wrong. I work in marketing and know a little about this stuff. I am not privy to how much doing the international motorcycle show would cost them overall and would need to see that first to be sure, but there is no way that it is a long term net negative.

As far as demo trucks, I have never seen a triumph demo anywhere around nyc and we can't even do test rides at dealers here because the only triumph dealer in the city cannot do it because of insurance.
Triumph/Honda of Freehold [not too far from NYC] has a good demo day; you can ride a few different Triumphs if you want. Get on their e-mail list or check it out in spring. I've gone to a few but never signed up to ride. This year I think I'll try a Thruxton and a Street Triple.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I don't have the answer but from what I've read, Triumph doesn't attend at many bike shows....why, I have no idea. Although, I just went to a bike show in Hartford, CT 2 weeks ago and Triumph WAS there.
Do you mean Triumph was in Hartford or Gengras was there with their Triumphs?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
It's pretty silly that Triumph doesn't show up at the American bike shows. They're the ONLY major brand that doesn't come.

The demo truck angle doesn't hold water. All the major manufacturers have demo trucks.
We'll be at the show today. It's always fun.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
It's pretty silly that Triumph doesn't show up at the American bike shows. They're the ONLY major brand that doesn't come.
And if Johnny wastes all his money, does that mean you will too??? ;)

Triumph did go to the show for many years. They studied it with their marketing group and did not see the ROI. Their sales numbers continue to grow every year. Their factories have been at capacity up until now, more than you can say for some other bike manufacturers...

I like that they aren't there. For me, that makes the Triumph brand a bit more rebellious. Bollocks to what all the other lemmings do and think.... :D

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
It's not about selling bikes at all, it is about branding and market prominence
At their current sales volume, it is indeed about selling bikers. You can't budget that kind of expense with their current sales volume.

You get more bang for your buck with the demo trucks at the dealer open houses.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
So why does Triumph do European shows but not the US shows?
I'm going to venture a guess and say the European sales volume warrants the expense.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I just got back from the show. I had a great time.

Spent too much time in the Ducati area. Sat on the Ducati GT1000 that I want.The salesman assured me there is no expensive valve maintenance and insurance is just as cheap as the Bonneville. Man, that bike was nice! i started to get that " I have to have this " feeling so I took a brochure and got away from there.
Then I met up with Mike Seate and got a copy of his Cafe Racer magazine. He was really cool and we talked about his Triton, airboxes and what have you. I didn't see much else in the cafe racers there to make me believe they are the next chopper.

Then I lucked out and met Bill Himmelsbach of EuroSports in Philadelphia who has the Scrambler in this months issue of Cycle World. He was really nice and loaded me up with advice for my Bonneville from fork springs to cylinders and by the way both guys recommended removing the airbox.

Then in took in the advanced riding seminar by Lee Parks of Total Control.

I really liked the Guzzi V7 just seeme like a nice light little bike and nice looking. So many stunning motorcyces to look at, I almost felt bad for the scantily dressed models being ignored until I heard one of them asking for dollar contributions to her "bike fund" and guys were putting in dollars!!! Sorry,I told her, I have my own bike fund.

All in all a good time for $15 bucks....

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'm going to venture a guess and say the European sales volume warrants the expense.
Hi triumph did the NEC uk show this year but it is only 30 minutes from the factory, dealers do display at the small town shows, I went to my local spalding show today and the local dealer was there but only with 4 bikes.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Like Sal I just got back a few hours ago, I wasn't very impressed. Its not a bad show, was glad I went, just wasn't as excited about it as I was the last few years is all. Perhaps I've become a bit jaded since getting my Rocket a few months ago. Nothing really got me going. I got a little aggrivated at some nice lady that couldn't understand why I didn't agree with her that the Star 1700 bagger was the best bike of its kind. I didn't have the heart to tell her that the speedo reminded me of an old grandfather clock, and just where did they keep the pendulum to keep the timing going. I even went into the Ducati mob scene, sat on a 1000GT & said "EH". So I guess "I'm over them" for a while. Victory still builds some of the nicest looking cruisers that are out there. Buells are always intersting to see how innovative they can be, Harleys building their own trike now, and XR1200 is now stateside available. The big Jap 4 really didn't do a thing for me. I thought the most interesting display was the Guzzi's. If I was going to buy a second bike for myself from all the bikes at the show, it would have to be (Sal you'll like this) the Guzzi V7, hands down. I know its a V-twin, but it reminded me of my old Norton 850 Roadster in appearance (mostly the paint scheme), size & feel. Unlike a lot of bikes that are out there it doesn't try to be something its not, just a nice, light, honest streetbike. Sounds a lot like a Bonnie doesn't it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts