Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought an 04 Sprint RS, jet black w/ SSSA. I love the bike so far, maybe a little too much. My first ride after it was delivered resulted in me getting a speeding ticket. Guess I need to take it easy for a while. :(

Is there anything I should be looking out for with this model and year? I heard they were pretty reliable bikes. The only thing I noticed so far was the shifting was a little clucky. Maybe this is just me not being used of the bike yet.

Phil

·
Registered
117 Posts
We're multiplying!

Just standard maintenance checks, get the oil changed unless it was done right before you bought it, and ride...

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to TriumphRat.net and our Sprint forum TX_Phil:)

An oil change with new filter may well solve your shifting issue, these g'boxes like good oil and frequent changes.

I have used Motul Semi synthetic in my '04 Sprint ST for 60,000kms of pretty hard riding and I have nice smooth shifts.

I hope you enjoy the forum Phil.

My friend Steventhechef has an RS here in Aussie and does know a bit about them.

As you trawl you will find we are a friendly bunch here and have quite a few clever people on the technical side.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
WooHoo, another RS. "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers....."

There's really nothing out of the ordinary that you need to look for. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Congrats on the wise purchase!!!

As far as what to look out for, I've found on my ST that there is one very very very large thing to look out for. Usually it has a reflective sticker on the side, flashing lights on top, contain men/women in a goofy uniform and like to empty bank accounts. Also known as the police!!!!

Honestly the real problems with these bikes is on the right handle bar, for some reason it causes mass amounts of joy when you turn it. I still can't figure it out but what the heck I'll roll with it.

HAHA, enjoy your new ride!!!!

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
shifting was a little clucky.
Maybe you've got chickens in your gearbox!! :D

Hi TX_Phil and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the ticket. You'll have to get wise with these bikes or you'll run out of points and/or money really quickly.

Really I don't know allot, just a bit more than some but not as much as others. :eek:

You've chosen a great bike and I am just not justifying my ownership of my RS. I have a DSSA Gen 2 (02-03) same mechanicals as yours and love the bike to bits. They are super reliable and (for me) the best real world bike that I have owned.

Keep the services up and you'll rid yourself of the clucky box. :) I have a false neutral between 4th and 5th if I don't change firmly. I have heard even the boots vs runners/joggers/trainers make a difference as it needs a firm, positive action. A bit like some of my old girlfriends!!

Your model has a few more similarities to the ST's than my model has. i.e. head rake angle, SSSA, exhaust angle and rear foot pegs.

Just so that we (RS and ST owners) can all nod heads together - Why did you chose the RS?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. Love the forum. I chose the RS partly because I have always wanted a Triumph. I had my choices down to an 05 honda VRF and a 04 Triumph RS. I test rode the VRF and thought it was a great bike. Very smooth and refined but was lacking a little power and it was about $1500 more than the RS. I really felt the RS was a better fit. I think the riding position was perfect for me and felt more comfortable on the RS. I think I made the right choice.

Another thing I noticed was that it is hard to start sometimes. Took about 4 or 5 tries to start it yesterday. This happened at the dealer but I thought it was because the bike had not been ran for a while. Any known issues relating to this? The dealer said they changed out the plugs before delivery.

Thanks again. Hope to get some pics up this weekend.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Love the forum. I chose the RS partly because I have always wanted a Triumph. I had my choices down to an 05 honda VRF and a 04 Triumph RS. I test rode the VRF and thought it was a great bike. Very smooth and refined but was lacking a little power and it was about $1500 more than the RS. I really felt the RS was a better fit. I think the riding position was perfect for me and felt more comfortable on the RS. I think I made the right choice.

Another thing I noticed was that it is hard to start sometimes. Took about 4 or 5 tries to start it yesterday. This happened at the dealer but I thought it was because the bike had not been ran for a while. Any known issues relating to this? The dealer said they changed out the plugs before delivery.

Thanks again. Hope to get some pics up this weekend.
I find that if I try to start my 2001 ST too soon after turning on the key its a harder start. Guessing the fuel inj. needs to get going? Anyway try turning on the key...waiting 15 sec then hitting the starter.
I (personally) suggest doing your oil & filter changes yourself. Its easy to do and will save you lots of $$. The air filter is easy as well if you are ok removing the fuel tank. I missed the buy of the century on an RS and still kick myself...but LOVE my ST.

Welcome and enjoy...and remember...watch those overpasses and onramps ...it helps keep the tickets down :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anyway try turning on the key...waiting 15 sec then hitting the starter.
That's a good point on the starting... I always let the gauges do their startup thing and then you should hear when the fuel pump cuts out... punch the button and it should fire right up.

Mine never fails to fire after the third "chug" at the latest, no matter the weather FWIW.

Oh, and I've gotten in the habit of keeping my hand completely off the throttle when hitting the starter button... the TPS can be cranky if it sees anything but zero throttle at startup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find that if I try to start my 2001 ST too soon after turning on the key its a harder start. Guessing the fuel inj. needs to get going? Anyway try turning on the key...waiting 15 sec then hitting the starter.
I (personally) suggest doing your oil & filter changes yourself. Its easy to do and will save you lots of $$. The air filter is easy as well if you are ok removing the fuel tank. I missed the buy of the century on an RS and still kick myself...but LOVE my ST.

Welcome and enjoy...and remember...watch those overpasses and onramps ...it helps keep the tickets down :D
Thanks, I will definatly try that out.
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Welcome, Phil, what part of Texas? I'm thinking about moving down to Austin; already rode my jet black '04 SSSA RS down there once. :D (No "performance awards" until I got back to NYC, though I came very close in Talladega, Alabama.)

I always wait until the ECU has gone through its full boot sequence, as indicated by the low fuel light, before hitting the starter button. (I'm usually helmeted w/ my iPod going, or at least with the in-ear headset already in place, so I can't hear the fuel pump.)

Be careful if it's taking a while to start, you don't want the starter sprag to fail. Keep your battery charged, & replace it if it doesn't hold a charge.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
8,091 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm with steven and Gearhead on this, don't touch the throttle when you start the bike, that just puts aside the injection system program and mess things up, do a throttle reset as steven suggested. A fresh battery is another thing that is always recommended with any bike as we have such a small battery to begin with.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hooray SSSA RS FTW! I don't have much to add but that's not going to stop me posting...

I've found 2 corrosion issues on mine... 1. the rear brake sender was corroded and the boot was perished (replaced both). 2. the brass fitting that joins the fuel tank to the overflow drain hose (cleaned out wuith a nail).

If you ever want to take the rear fairings off... there's 2 bolts (under the seat) and 2 plugs (front and middle) on each side. The trick is to unplg the brake light, remove the 4 bolts, spread and lift the three pieces off as one.

My tried and true method to avoid the constabulary is fit a cruise control/throttle lock and headphones for use on high volume wide safe highways with clean smooth surfaces and good visibility... then when you get on those quiet narrow, meandering, hilly, bumpy backroads with minimal visibility and cattle grids, go your hardest and hope for the best! The piggys stick to the high volume roads to support their dirty habit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hooray SSSA RS FTW! I don't have much to add but that's not going to stop me posting...

I've found 2 corrosion issues on mine... 1. the rear brake sender was corroded and the boot was perished (replaced both). 2. the brass fitting that joins the fuel tank to the overflow drain hose (cleaned out wuith a nail).

If you ever want to take the rear fairings off... there's 2 bolts (under the seat) and 2 plugs (front and middle) on each side. The trick is to unplg the brake light, remove the 4 bolts, spread and lift the three pieces off as one.

My tried and true method to avoid the constabulary is fit a cruise control/throttle lock and headphones for use on high volume wide safe highways with clean smooth surfaces and good visibility... then when you get on those quiet narrow, meandering, hilly, bumpy backroads with minimal visibility and cattle grids, go your hardest and hope for the best! The piggys stick to the high volume roads to support their dirty habit.
Funny that you mention the rear brake, I have noticed that my rear brakes are feeling very week. I really have to push down hard on them to get any response. I will check the rear brake sender and boot. I plan on do a little more preventative maintenance to clear up some of these minor issues.

I am going to change out the air filter and changing out the oil to full synthetic. I saw this oil filter on ebay. Has anyone here had any experience with it? Looks interesting but kind of worried on how it will work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160311786430&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

Think I will go ahead and get a new battery while I am in there.
Thanks again for all the feedback
:D

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
Welcome!

... I saw this oil filter on ebay. Has anyone here had any experience with it? Looks interesting but kind of worried on how it will work....
Seems ridiculous idea to me - I can't see how it works BETTER than a disposable & I certainly don't want to be cleaning it, redistributing any contaminents and re-installing it.
The 'oil cooler' feature of housing is moot since we have a real cooler.

Here's an article that discusses that very filter

Best oil filter you can buy for a Triumph is Purolator Pure One PL14610
Here's the comparitive study

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Congrats on the RS. I've always liked the VFR but a Triumph is so much more fun! Loads of character and superbly dependable!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Congrats on the RS.....
you already found two of the (small) defects, and I would keep spraying WD40 or similair down those petrol tank drain holes, the other one can be the plastic fuel fittings in the petrol tank, one gets replaced as a recall, but you are as well to replace (both) yourself with metal fittings......if you do a search, there should be plenty of threads here on where to obtain the metal fuel fittings.......

Yes, Triumph rubber does seem to perish, the relay rubbers can go too....and the battery's HAVE to be A1 all the time, bit once you feel the torque of the triple engine, nothing else will feel powerful anymore.....and she's not a bad handler, either!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts