Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I removed the Progressive forks and 3” spacer and installed the Ricor Intiminators today. I could only take a short ride around the neighborhood to road test, but I did try some bumpy roads. My observation at this time is that the ride is different. How much better I won’t know until I get Bonnie out on some of Ohio’s ‘finest’!
Initial observation ….
- Absolutely no brake dive (as compared to stock or my progressives)
- bike appears to eat up the bumps better than before, could be the placebo effect, will know more when I hit the back roads.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used the stock Bonneville fork springs, and used PVC for spacer material. I mic’d the Intiminator, and it appeared to be 14mm thick (as Pieman had previously stated). Adding the 14mm to 21mm (additional preload provided by Thruxton adjustors I installed), I made my new spacers 35mm shorter than the stock Bonneville ones. It seemed to be about right, because when I installed the Thruxton fork caps, I had to compress the fork springs by approx 3/4" to thread the caps into the tubes. That's pretty much the same as when I originally installed the Progressives with a 3" spacer length specified by Progressive.

I went through the ‘drill’, pumping the old fluid out, and followed the Intiminator installation instructions to the letter.

I set the fork oil level at factory spec ... 120mm below top of totally compressed fork tube, with spring removed and Intiminator in. Also, did all measurements of Thrux adjustor thickness with the adjustor turned in so that 5 lines showed (which means the adjustor was screwed down two lines).

I’ll provide a better ride report when I get the bike out for a 200-250 mile day on my favorite but somewhat bumpy roads.

If anyone who has already been through the install can offer any advice about my installation, it would be appreciated.

Bob

·
30,525 Posts
Well good luck Bob, several of us are very much looking forward to your full report.

·
Registered
218 Posts
"Absolutely no brake dive" sounds good! I did about 400 miles this past weekend and it seems like i have more brake dive from my progressives. When first installed, it was almost completely eliminated. Seems the springs are softening. I have the intiminators, and have to dig the stock springs out of a storage locker before install.

Also looking forward to the full review.

-Aaron

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Thanks for this and looking forward to the insights. I was originally planning on Progressives, but may have to rethink that.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still getting a fair bit of brake dive, but nowhere near as bad as it was.
Absolutely no brake dive may be stretching it .... I should have said, compared to stock, or even with my Progressives.

Bob

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Absolutely no brake dive may be stretching it .... I should have said, compared to stock, or even with my Progressives.

Bob
Alittle brake dive may be a good thing to transfer weight.Thats what i like about the works springs you can adj how much dive by changeing spacers inside the soft spring.The shorter the spacer the more it can dive and the softer the ride.I think later i might try these things to.But first i want to get everything dialed in with what I have now still waiting on works to make my shocks.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alittle brake dive may be a good thing to transfer weight.Thats what i like about the works springs you can adj how much dive by changeing spacers inside the soft spring.The shorter the spacer the more it can dive and the softer the ride.I think later i might try these things to.But first i want to get everything dialed in with what I have now still waiting on works to make my shocks.
Mike, I'm running the Works Performance springs on my R100GS .... I like their product. I'm running the short inner spacers to give myself slightly more soft spring. Now the GS is a bike that really benefitted from the Works springs. I agree with you about some brake dive helping transfer weight. When BMW started putting Telelever front ends on their bike, they had to engineer in a slight amount of dive, although I believe they could have eliminated most all of it by relocating the pivot point on the telelever swing arm.

Bob

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
installed with progressive springs

I just installed the Intiminators (what's with the name??) on my 04 Thrux with Progressive springs. I removed the 15 w oil and replaced each fork with 440 ml of 5 w oil. I kept the progressive springs and the 2.5 inch spacers. I wound the preload all the way out and went for a ride. Its hard to describe the difference but there is definitely a difference. Basically the front end is smoother - more controlled. There is little dive on braking. I was happy with the mod. I'll go for a decent ride tomorrow on my favourite roads and will report back...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Me too installed Intiminators

Installed mine last night and went for a test ride this morning. Only put 60 km up. They are a great improvement over the standard setup. I still found some brake dive but not as savage as before. The potholes were still there but were much smoother. Taking corners where there was a pothole half way through did not introduce a feeling of out of control. She just took the pothole in her stride and kept motoring in a controlled line.

I cut 10mm from my spacer and set the preload 4 lines out. Started out and found this setting okay but after a few km's decided to wind the preload in a full line. Rode for about 10km's then reset the preload back to what I stated with. This felt better but would like to experiment a bit more with the preload before deciding on a permanent setting.

Going for a longer ride tomorrow over some ordinary road conditions so will give a further report when I return..

Chris

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I also went for a longer ride after installing the Intiminators last night and can confirm what Chris said. They are a great improvement over my previous set up (progressive springs, 15 w oil, 2.5 inch spacer and preload wound all the way in - I weigh 95 kgs). I now have 6 lines on the preload setting. Its now much more pleasant ride - before was stiff compared to OEM which I wanted for cornering stability but was also harsh over bumps

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Also out for about 120 miles today

Rain caused me to cancel my weekend trip to West Virginia, but I did get the T100 out today for over a hundred miles. I'm not quite sure where to start to 'tune' the front end with the Intiminators installed. Actually feels pretty good with 165mm long spacers (instead of stock 200mm on the Bonnie), and with the Thrux fork caps screwed in about one mark. I filled my forks to factory recommended 120mm below top of fork (fully compressed, etc, etc). NOTE - Bonnie riders with stock fork caps don't want to remove 35mm from their spacers!! I took off this much to account for the Intiminators + the Thrux adjustable caps.

I personally think my front end was set up well before, with 3" spacers and Progressive 11-1126 springs. If our roads were smooth, I wouldn't have changed them out. That's like saying 'if a frog had wings ........'. You know the rest.

The effect of hitting large bumps is not eliminated, but now I notice kickback more from the rear end than the front, so maybe I need to contact Progressive and discuss spring rates on my 440 shocks. If I continue to play with the Bonnie's ride, I might want to try some shocks with progressive springs AND adjustable compression and rebound damping. The 440s provide spring preload adjustment only.

The Intiminators with stock springs do seem to really handle the small/medium bunps quite nicely. With my present setup, the forks are eating those up.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results, but need to fiddle with fork oil level and fork spring preload via the Thrux fork caps.

Bob

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Interesting you mention the rear shock movement as I also noticed the rear shock actions more so now than before installation of the Intiminators. I put it down to the front end handling the bumps better therefore emphasising the rear actions

·
Registered
503 Posts
Me too fitted the terminators........

Fitted them yesterday, went for a blast, these things have potential, like you guys, I could only feel the inadequacies of the stock shocks, but fairly smooth from the front end..........all I did is install the intiminators to my setup and backed off the preload adjusters right out..........measured static sag @ 48-50mm sag...... without the intiminators, had 38-40mm sag

My setup is 11-1145(Speedmaster) PS progressive springs, 2 inch spacers, 10W oil @ 150mm, I weigh 250 lbs with riding gear and ride fairly aggressively.

The 11-1145 springs are rated @45 to 60 lbs per inch, compared the the recommended 11-1126 springs, which are rated @ 30 to 50 lbs per inch.

Race tech recommends static sag(with rider) for a road bike to be 25mm to 35mm.......just measured static sag with preload adjusters all the way in, measured 30mm............

will fit stock springs and spacers today and measure sag and test ride........stay tuned......

Cheers............Agro

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
will fit stock springs and spacers today and measure sag and test ride........stay tuned......

Cheers............Agro
Looking forward to reading your report after you install the stock springs and spacers. I didn't measure sag, but attempted to cut new spacers so that preload would be the same as stock T100, taking into account the 14mm for the Intiminators, and approx 21mm for my new Thrux fork caps screwed in approx 2 hash marks for starters.

I put another 100 miles on the T100 today, and think I'm starting to get used to (and like) the difference these things make!

Bob

·
Registered
503 Posts
Looking forward to reading your report after you install the stock springs and spacers.
Did not get to fit the stock springs and spacers, tested my combo with preload adjuster all the way in, 7bars, 30mm sag, was too harsh, was too harsh @ 3bars in,4bars out. Reasonable at 2bars in /5bars out, which was 35mm sag. 1bar in/6 out is 40mm sag, did not test at this setting.

Liked it yesterday, with preload all the way out, 7 bars showing, 45-47mm sag, very complinent and confidence inspiring in the twisties, braking dive was progressive and stable........

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just fitted the stockThruxton springs and spacer, measured 28mm static sag @ full preload adjustment and 42mm sag @ no preload adjustment..........will test soon!!.........

cheers............agro

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just fitted the stockThruxton springs and spacer, measured 28mm static sag @ full preload adjustment and 42mm sag @ no preload adjustment..........will test soon!!.........

cheers............agro
Agro, thanks for publishing your static sag measurements. The Thrux fork caps are new to my T100, and I can use your info to help dial in the front suspension.

Bob

·
Registered
196 Posts
Update Report

Went for about a 150km ride yesterday with my classic club. The road conditions were a bit ordinary especially a section which has had severe flood damage ie potholes to the right potholes to the left. It was like riding along a road with a chicane every 100m.

Unfortunately the main group were riding their old classics such as BSA, Vellocette and even a Nimbus so the pace was not too hot. Did not get to really test out the suspension too much except the potholes felt smoother. On the way home I got a chance to ride at a better pace but it was only for about 30km. The ride felt very good but still want to experiment with the preload. The preload is still set with 4 lines out.

Will not have a chance to do anything untill end of month as I will be tied up with my sport of 3D archery. Planning on going for a ride up to Stanthorpe to check out some classic racing. The road is up and over a mountain range which has various road surfaces which should test the suspension out. About 150kms of straights, sweeping bends along with a fair bit of tight twisties.

Chris

·
Registered
503 Posts
stock springs and spacers............

Went for a 200 km ride from Gawler to Mannum and back, tried full preload, no preload, 2,3 and 4 bars out, settled on 2-3 bars out.
It seems that i have gained an extra inch/25mm of travel under hard braking??
I think the longer, tighter wound progressives I had in, displaced more fork oil than the stock springs and spacers, and now the air gap is greater, tomorrow will increase the fork oil level to 130mm down and see if it makes a difference in fork travel under brakes........... Racetech websites states that the Thruxton and Bonneville have a spring rate of 0.72 and 0.75 kg/mm.
....Fairly soft springs!!.........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts