Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oil.... slippery topic

Currently I am running Golden Spectro in my '03 T-Bird.

I had tried Amzoil for one change.... got rid of it at less than 3K miles, I was missing more shifts than I could afford, and finding lots of neutral positions between 4-5 and 5-6th gear.

Put a change of Golden in ran it for about 2 k miles, then replaced again with the filter....

Smooth as silk again, and the gears are where they belong.

Darien

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. :eek:

Well, if you looking for one to marry, I suppose. If you just want a night of fun, then "Been around the block" olive oil will suffice.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Maybe more important than which brand of good quality synth or semi-synth might be the change interval.

Two pieces of info I've seen recently...

1. The Trident that Triumph famously bought back off a dispatch rider after 250,000 miles without major overhaul had '...just routine servicing...about 120 oil changes...' That's oil changes about every 3,000 miles - twice as many as the service schedule recommends.

2. A test on various oils in a car showed significant drops in viscosity within 1,000 to 3,000 miles, semi-synth & synth types not too far apart at the better end of that scale.

2. would appear to lend a bit of scientific support for 1. being an important factor. (Probably the relatively few cold starts per mile of dispatch use helped too..)

·
Registered
694 Posts
oil

On my 98 TBS, 01 Sprint ST turbo, and 01 Bonnie GJ I use the 15w50 Suzuki full Synthetic oil like they use in Busa's and GSXR1000's. The oil changes are every 6K miles on the Bonnie and TBS, and every 3k on the boosted ST. Excellent shifting, and about 1/2 pint of oil use on the turbo (it has 30K miles on it). No oil use on the other two. The stuff costs only $6.95/quart at my local Triumph/Suzuki dealer! tommyturbo2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rotella T Synthetic 5w40

I sell oil for a living and have been testing oils in motorcycles to see what is going on. Bikes with integrated crankcase and gear boxes tend to shear oil down rapidly. Harder riding accelerates the shearing. A whole grade can drop in less than 1000 miles! Combine that with petcocks left on and fuel in the oil and the oil has really gotten too thin.
I change every 1500 miles or six months. I am using Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 CJ4 spec oil. It is for heavy duty diesel engines and also carries the highest car oil rating of SM. The big difference is that it does not contain the friction modifiers that car oils have that tend to damage wet clutches. It is usually available at Walmart for $16-18 per gallon. All of the Diesel engine oils are free of the friction modifiers at this time and whether synthetic or conventional, work very well in most motorcycles.
I don't recommend running any oil out to 5-6000 miles in these Hinckley bikes unless you have done oil analysis and are comfortable with the viscosity of the oil and that it is still protecting the engine at that mileage. Oil is still inexpensive, especially if you are doing it yourself. One tip is to always change it hot! Best is to have everything ready to go and then kill the engine and quickly pull the plug. The contaminants will be suspended and the oil will flow out quickly. Don't get burned and dispose of properly.
Be safe! jeff

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
I sell oil for a living and have been testing oils in motorcycles to see what is going on. I am using Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 CJ4 spec oil. It is for heavy duty diesel engines and also carries the highest car oil rating of SM. The big difference is that it does not contain the friction modifiers that car oils have that tend to damage wet clutches. It is usually available at Walmart for $16-18 per gallon.
Be safe! jeff
Good tips Jeff - thanks!

Scot

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mobil 1 4T

I use Mobil 1 4T in my 2003 Thunderbird...Triumph UK recommend it and my dealer Jack Lilleys of West London supply it at every annual service.Quality synthetic.

G

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Mobile-1 4T for my 2K-TBS as well...
I find it a Wal-Mart for less then autoparts stores, but you need to look for it in the motorcycle aisle...

Oil filter I usually get is NAPA #PS4941

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I sell oil for a living and have been testing oils in motorcycles to see what is going on. Bikes with integrated crankcase and gear boxes tend to shear oil down rapidly. Harder riding accelerates the shearing. A whole grade can drop in less than 1000 miles! Combine that with petcocks left on and fuel in the oil and the oil has really gotten too thin.
I change every 1500 miles or six months. I am using Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 CJ4 spec oil. It is for heavy duty diesel engines and also carries the highest car oil rating of SM. The big difference is that it does not contain the friction modifiers that car oils have that tend to damage wet clutches. It is usually available at Walmart for $16-18 per gallon. All of the Diesel engine oils are free of the friction modifiers at this time and whether synthetic or conventional, work very well in most motorcycles.
I don't recommend running any oil out to 5-6000 miles in these Hinckley bikes unless you have done oil analysis and are comfortable with the viscosity of the oil and that it is still protecting the engine at that mileage. Oil is still inexpensive, especially if you are doing it yourself. One tip is to always change it hot! Best is to have everything ready to go and then kill the engine and quickly pull the plug. The contaminants will be suspended and the oil will flow out quickly. Don't get burned and dispose of properly.
Be safe! jeff
Interestingly, just had a nice chat with a Goldwing driver (do you actually RIDE one of those things??/:rolleyes:). He's on his third 'Wing....a 1200 and two 1500's. He runs only Rotella 5/40 synth. His "new" 1500 has 57K miles on it...the older bikes went over 150K each. His teardown on the 1200 showed very little wear at 150K miles, and he sold it to a friend who is still riding it (had a cam drive belt fail immediately after replacement and had to redo valves). Just 3 bikes' worth of anecdotal evidence, but interesting data.

Derswede

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oil Used

I have used Mobil1 15W-50 synthetic car oil. I am now using Mobil1 "High Mileage" 10W-40 synthetic car oil. Both have worked well for me!
Bluetbird

1 - 20 of 24 Posts