Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What's your height?

I ended up spending the same on a used gtl that my feet reach the ground on.
That's interesting. I'm 5'11'' and the low seat which is standard on US model Trophy was too low for me. I needed to put the seat in the high position and I still have room to get both feet flat on the ground.

I also looked at a used K1600GT instead of the Trophy. That bike felt too big for my daily commute to work. My wife will not go on long tours, so I only need a bike which is comfortable for the occasional 2 up ride, solo touring, and commuting to work. So it came down to the R1200RT or the Trophy SE, and I thought the Triumph (which was heavily discounted at the end of the model run) was the better value.

Good luck with the GTL. It's a fabulous ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I think the sport touring class isn't doing well in general. Honda dropped the ST and Guzzi the Norge. Triumph has brought back the Speedmaster based on the 1200 platform. I'm 5'11" but being a bit long in the torso and having short stubby legs the low seat is the one for me. I got the bike when it came out and it's been a magnificent ride, virtually trouble free. As I only have about 40,000 miles on it I assume it will be around for quite a while.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
The first day of our demo a thunderstorm developed and the radio defaulted to the weather station, pretty cool, and we debated pulling over but the Trophy kept us dry! The display can be configured to display everything tho' I wish it was a bit more modern looking/less atari. fuel range is unbelievable, my gtl gets best range at 55 mph and by 85 mph it's down to 175 miles:(. Besides the engine noise and me being too short I thought it was a steal at the list price, now that they're blowing them out you can't go wrong. Did I mention I would remove the bags and hammer the backroads. Congrats again I always get a big smile when I see a triumph on the road.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have been riding the Trophy for a few weeks now, and am happier than ever with my decision. I struggle to keep it cool, because I'm still breaking it is.. ( I still ride the Speed Triple as well.) I am amazed how well it handles.. It really could be a wolf in sheeps clothing if you wish to unleash it. The power is adequate, an it just works. And storage....remember I am coming from only a tiny tank bag for storage.. Even without the trunk its amazing for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
New to me Trophy

I bought a slightly used 2017 Trophy a couple of weeks back and have been riding it to work. Coming off a 2013 HD ElectraGlide, the first thing I noticed, and liked, is that the TTSE is much more nimble and about 250lbs lighter. Pushing it around and riding in traffic is soo much easier now. Today it took it out for a 360 mile lunch run. I am, now, convinced I made the right choice. As one of the previous posters stated, it does warm the ankles and toes a little, but it's not a big deal. The OAT was about 96F today and my feet were warm but not cooking. I really look forward to touring with this bike.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts