Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...and it is the best bike I have ever ridden. And I have ridden a lot and think meself something of a connoisseur of good bikes. I also, of course, think of meself as a pretty accomplished rider by my seat o' the pants scale (don't we all?). In any case what a great bike and really, really, beautiful.

Very happy to be back in the Triumph fold and RATs. I was a Clinton cycle in MD RAT member when I lived up there - yes I was the guy in the huge tiger that RAT meeting day that dropped it at, like, 2 mph! (Maybe I am not such a hot rider after all? and that was just after doing very well - fastest in the beginner/Intermediate group - at the California Superbike School. Of course that was on a ZX6R not a 33.3" seat height Tiger 885 lol!)

I haven’t really noticed the mushy suspension I have heard about. While not racer edgy hard like my '93 CBR900RR Fireblade it did not wallow about on a couple of pretty brisk rides. My gosh though that motor is smooth and deceptively powerful - just a great drivetrain for real roads and real riders.

I guess for very spirited riding I'll have to remove the side case hangers. I'd really like to get rid of that massive stock silencer too. I am really afraid, especially with the case hangers installed, that I am going to drag that thing in a right turn bend! That can is so huge and LONG! Been shopping for a replacement and Blue Flame looks coolest (their mid length) but I wonder when I put the hangers back on if it will still work?

Stock seat pretty crappy too, gonna try the Triumph gel for half as much as any other aftermarket (though I have had a Corbin on my 1998 Tiger that I loved and a Sargent on our 1998 VFR that was very nice (if a bit restrictive) as well. so looking forward to that.

Big questions:
1. How does one adjust fork preload? There are these, flush, nice chrome caps on the top of my yokes so I can’t see the little threaded adjusters to adjust them. Maybe I have bar risers that have covered them up? It doesn’t seem like it but the adjusters are definitely invisible.
2. How hard is it gonna be when I get a new silencer and take the case hangers off to adjust the pipe to its high position?

I am sure lots more questions will come to me.

Thanks for having me.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome John

Hi John welcome to the sprint forum and congratulations on your new scooter.:)

I have a Caspian Blue '04 myself now with 61,000kms on and it runs like a top (a very well quick, good handling top)

I have lots of pics of my blue scoot in both my albums click the links below.

AS a matter of course Don and I ask all noobs to please read our forum stickies:)

Welcome to the fold and enjoy the bike and the forum.

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome in wit your new ride

Hi, I believe you are seeing those stainless caps that go on the bars after bar risers have been installed. The caps pop out with a lil help and the screw in adjusters are in about 1/2 in down. I have these risers on my 03 and that's how they cap the hole which would be unsightly.

I had my seat done by Sargeant's seat covers in JAX fl. They are good. I bought an extra seat on ebay for $40 or so and sent that one in. They have some firmer foam closed cell kinda. Sargeant's advertises in bike mags and just google them.

I have the little bit smaller upgraded pipe from Triumph and it sound super. That wail in 3rd gear is stunning. When it gets installed the shop usually remaps the Fuel ingection etc.

Have fun mine's the same color.

Randy in GA

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!! As you are finding out, it is a great machine. Will not be selling mine anytime soon.

It does not exist without pics. Lets see it!

·
Registered
444 Posts
You'll be touching down on the hero blobs (and lower fairing) well before the can touches. The other guys can chime in here, but I can't think of a single case where people have scraped the stock silencer in "normal" riding.

Basically, if the can touches, you're probably lowsiding anyway, and then the can is the least of your worries. :)

You can leave the case hangers on and still adjust the silencer to the high position. If you look at the silencer where it mounts to the passenger peg bracket, there's an extender between the two. Loosen the downpipe bracket, remove that extender and rotate the can upwards until the holes line up again, tighten it all back up and you're done.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
John with stock suspension the things that will touch down first will be the hero blobs and centre stand and also possibly the RHS bellypan.

I have photos of my belly pan in my album in the links below.

I am 220lbs though and do a lot of faster two up riding.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Welcome to the forum johnandash07. You've chosen a great bike, but I am biased! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have hit my can one time. But that was on an off camber turn in some tight technical twisties in WV. It's more like the road came up and hit my can rather than I had the bike over far enough to drag it. :eek:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, I believe you are seeing those stainless caps that go on the bars after bar risers have been installed. The caps pop out with a lil help and the screw in adjusters are in about 1/2 in down.

I had my seat done by Sargeant's seat covers in JAX fl. They are good. I bought an extra seat on ebay for $40 or so and sent that one in. They have some firmer foam closed cell kinda. Sargeant's advertises in bike mags and just google them.

I have the little bit smaller upgraded pipe from Triumph and it sound super. That wail in 3rd gear is stunning. When it gets installed the shop usually remaps the Fuel ingection etc.

Have fun mine's the same color.

Randy in GA
Cheers mate! It is really lovely bike to look at and ride. Bit nervous about just popping those caps off. My tech said just use a screwdriver wrapped in a shop towel but that whole procedure sounds like a bunch of unsightly scratches on the risers just waiting to happen. Bit nervewracking, that. Have you ever removed them?

Do you mean Sargent seats (sargentcycle.com)? I've had their seat on a VFR before...very nice, very expensive. Methinks I'll go for the Triumph gel at $215-ish first.

Really looking forward to an afermarket can - what kind did u get?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[
AS a matter of course Don and I ask all noobs to please read our forum stickies:)

Welcome to the fold and enjoy the bike and the forum.

cheers
DaveM:cool:[/QUOTE]

I did read the stickies, did I miss something?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats on the new ride!! As you are finding out, it is a great machine. Will not be selling mine anytime soon.

It does not exist without pics. Lets see it!
OK you got'em...

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Further issues

It's idling rough and surging at low rpm. Talked to the tech, 6K service sked should sort it as they'll throw in some new plugs. He thinks it's just the bike has so low miles and hasn't been ridden at all for 6 months or so. I bought a new battery, charged it, and installed it today. It runs better but still not sorted, anyone else have same issues?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought mine with 5k miles on it about a year and a half ago. Have 17k on her now. Not a bit of trouble. No surging what so ever.

Nice pics. Love the caspian blue.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts