Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed the papers at lunch hour. Traded my Harley in on it. Now I have to wait until it ships in from the factory warehouse. :cool:

I hope it doesn't show up in December.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you gonna do with your leather vest and doo-rag now? :D congrats, good move !
LOL, never had either....and will miss my Harley but want to move onto something different. Really liked the Tbirds when they arrived on the scene but had to wait until my funds were better.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Did you get the 1600 Tbird or the 1700 storm? for the record, the 1700 is much stronger, as it has hotter cams with it. Well worth the extra $ IMO. If you got the 1600 you will likely be lusting after the 1700 kit soon enough.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got a black 1600 abs model. I'm no speed freak but looking for a different ride. I have test ridden one and I know I'll be happy with the power for a long time.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I just got a black 1600 abs model. I'm no speed freak but looking for a different ride. I have test ridden one and I know I'll be happy with the power for a long time.
I'm not either, but like i keep telling people, the 1700 doesn't have to be ridden fast to enjoy the extra power. Even riding sedately that extra power makes it more of a joy to ride. I guess you have to experience both to understand, but most 1600 guys end up going with the 1700 kit if they can swing it.

But that said, if you really don't want that at least go with the short TORS. They really wake the bike up nicely. The way i felt was in stock form my 1600 was lethargic and passing power wasn't there at all. Then with shorties that was no longer the case and it now felt peppy enough to where i was itching for more power. then the BB kit with the shorties and it is much stronger and passing is a snap. It will accelerate quickly even at 80 or 90 to pass.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Congrats! I got the same bike, and feel the same way as you do about the power.

I figure with the 1600, I always have something to look forward to - in a year or two, when I want to upgrade I don't have to trade in and lose a few thousand in depreciation. I can just add a big bore kit and ... new bike :D

Also, I'm going to enjoy blacking out some of the chrome on the beast over the winter. Not much of that to do on a Storm!

Right now, with only two weeks and over 2000km on my new Thunderbird, all I can say is that it has plenty of power and and its gobs of fun. Best bike on the planet, in my not-so-humble opinion. When I'm not riding it, I'm dreaming of riding it.

Draeger

·
Registered
684 Posts
I said the same thing when I first bought mine. Now I'm trying to figure out how on earth I can come up with the money for the BB kit. :Darn

Oh congrats on your new purchase though. Don't let my comments have you second guessing yourself.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Cograts on the new ride. I am sure you will love it. I have had my storm just 3 weeks and a 1000 miles. Fantastic to ride. I have the short Triumoh pipes on it. Wish they were a little louder.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Congrats mate. You will love it.
Call me a ***** bit I have the latest 1600 - 6 weeks old now and it plenty powerful enough for me, passing included.. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not rode the 1700 but i can say this , the 1600 is powerful enough both single and two up for the everyday rider . and i base this without riding the 1700 simply because when i'm on mine i keep up with my riding mates on rockets UNLESS they decide they want to lose me.

Given that there is only about a grand difference in the storm and the 1600 personaly if the storm was out at the time i bought mine then it would off been a no brainer , for the extra grand , you get the 1700 , Abs ,, twin headlights , and the higher bars , absolute no brainer , Unless of course you don't like black .

Because after all the storm has these things BUT it does'nt have the elegance , the sophistication , good looks and charm that i'm ltold my SILVER bird has:D

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Shoot Daz, I'm still getting used to the "ump" of my 1600! I was used to my 805cc Volutia and about messed my pants the first time I rode my Tbird. I'm perfectly happy for the time being with my 1600 with stock pipes - nothing wrong with it all.
Yea, yea, your right, the BBK would be nice... there's time though - maybe at 12,000 mile service?
I do plan to change the pipes though because I'm still not wild about the flared "mega-phone" look of either the stock or TORs. I know you're in love with the short TORS (and the BBK), but to me the short TORS just makes the flared look more obvious. I'll really leaning toward the Hogslayers.
There's an old okie saying, "it's not the size of the bow that makes the brave, it's the way he strings"! ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Draeger - spot on - wait a few years and then it's like a new bike for just an upgrade kit $ I love that mental approach. Daz already has me convinced I "need" it. And having something like that to look forward to makes me feel like a 10yr old eyeing his pile of birthday gifts in the corner but not allowed to touch them yet.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Daryl, i'm not trying to convince you it's the way to go if you are totally happy with it as is. I just think you should be aware that It *may* be something you would love and be glad you did. But if you ever start considering it, ride a storm first and see. maybe you won't feel you care enough or even at all. I just know a whole lot of us do and i keep harping on it because a lot of people think it's a go fast thing, but it's not just about that. So i try and get the point out that it's the way the bike feels power wise regardless of how fast you go or not. And i don't think every single person would be a candidate. So don't just assume that you should do it because of what i said, ride a storm and see for yourself. Of course if you do also consider it will likely have stock pipes which are about 5-8 HP less, so take that into account if you have tors or such on your 1600.

·
Registered
457 Posts
No no I wasn't being sarcastic(although I often am) - I'm dead serious - I need it!:D It's just a matter of funds and when it will happen. Will, not if - just when.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The stock pipes are too quiet. Staintune sells collector pipes to replace the cat which reportedly improves the sound, but you gotta wait 6 weeks for delivery from australia. And gotta order through a dealer. And it means it's not street legal. And i LIKE the stock pipes except they're too quiet. So, being the genius that i am....i downloaded an mp3 of harley pipes off the internet onto my iphone, and i'm gonna get waterproof wireless motorcycle speakers and mount 'em on my bike, and blare motorcycle exhaust sounds!!!
What do you all think?!?!?! And don't tell me it's retarded because: a) my son already told me that, and b). it's not what i want to hear.
But if "they" start making electric bikes, everybody will be doing it!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
The stock pipes are too quiet. Staintune sells collector pipes to replace the cat which reportedly improves the sound, but you gotta wait 6 weeks for delivery from australia. And gotta order through a dealer. And it means it's not street legal. And i LIKE the stock pipes except they're too quiet. So, being the genius that i am....i downloaded an mp3 of harley pipes off the internet onto my iphone, and i'm gonna get waterproof wireless motorcycle speakers and mount 'em on my bike, and blare motorcycle exhaust sounds!!!
What do you all think?!?!?! And don't tell me it's retarded because: a) my son already told me that, and b). it's not what i want to hear.
But if "they" start making electric bikes, everybody will be doing it!!!
LMAO!!!!

And yes the Staintunes will be just as street legal as British Customs "Hogslayers". If you haven't already seen it - go watch the video on youtube for the Staintunes. IMO they are by far the best sound - but they were double price of the Hogslayers so I went with the Hogslayers. I have never heard the Shorty's, but I personally don't like the look of the Shorty's so another reason I went with Hogs. Here is a link to that video. Play on a computer with good speakers.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts