Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, still running in and loving it more and more but have a few basic questions. How may miles do you get on average before flipping to reserve and how many on reserve before panic stations? How is the bonnie on long european blasts? And lastly, reliability. Just how reliable are they over say 10 - 20k. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Good morning Jai

I'm still running my T100 in too - just turned 500 miles yesterday

I've got the TOR exhaust and had my carbs re-jetted to suit - my last tank of fuel before yesterday went 121 miles to reserve - thats running to and from town, about 10 miles each way

Yesterday I was on a long run to Norfolk - a lot of miles on the A17 with a good few miles going up and down the gears on bendy country roads - got to 135 miles on that tank and haven't hit reserve yet although it must be close

My previous T100 last year used to get about 125 to reserve on the commuting run - that was stock - when I put the TORs on and re-jetted it I dropped about 10 miles per tank

·
Registered
459 Posts
On long blasts I reckon you'll need a screen especially if you go above 60 for long periods

Its a subject I'm researching at the moment

I wasn't happy with my roadster screen for several reasons - but primarily because the turbulence I got blurred my long distance vision

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Hi jai,
My 04 bonnie before re jetting and open pipes (stock) would get 230km (approx 135-40mile) before reserve. After mods I get 185-95km before reserve. The last 3 litres I estimate I would get about 40-50km before I start walking. Living in Oz I'm yet to do a long "European blast", however, I've done some interstate riding clocking up over 2,000km on one trip with my bike in the 'cafe mode', Europe shouldn't be any problems for you. Reliability, can't begin to say how happy I am with my bike, just turned 2yrs old last week, put on 400+ km's today with a few mates for a grand total of 51,654km, In that time.....one very minor oil leak from the gasket on the gearbox cover :cool:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hello, I have just over 20,000 miles on my '02 and it has been a great bike!!! I think in stock form you should be getting about 120-140 miles on your main tank and probably another 40 or so on reserve. Honestly I would try to never push it so I would never have to "push" it!! :-D
I think you have made a great choice, they have made a wonderful bike with the Bonneville. Ride on.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
All of the above is accurate with my '03 T100. The only problem I've had in three years is the failure of a clutch actuator seal (this allowed a small, but obvious oil leak). It was repaired under warranty in half a day. No problems since...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Its funny, my previous bike was a BMW 1200 gs. You'd think it was bullet proof but it spent 6 weeks with the mechanics during its first 12 months. Constant problems from a bike made over complicated using too many internal computers. I ride bikes to get away from the stress of the hard drive! The simplicity of the bonny is great.
Can't wait for the first service, already have a nice list of mods and accessories.
Cheers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On 2006-04-17 16:19, jai wrote:
Thanks guys. Its funny, my previous bike was a BMW 1200 gs. You'd think it was bullet proof but it spent 6 weeks with the mechanics during its first 12 months. Constant problems from a bike made over complicated using too many internal computers. I ride bikes to get away from the stress of the hard drive! The simplicity of the bonny is great.
Can't wait for the first service, already have a nice list of mods and accessories.
Cheers.
I echo your sentiments exactly. My 1200GS spent two weeks at the dealer while they tried to rectify a fault with the bikes electronics. The whole thing just seemed, as you say, 'over complicated'

The overall simplicity of the Bonny is one of the many things that attracted me to it. Mine is in for it's first service on Thursday and my only problem with the bike, so far, is that I can't stay off it.

We are taking the bike to France in July for a couple of weeks and I've ordered the Triumph soft luggage which looks well made but, only has a miserly 24Ltrs of carrying capacity. I had the Renntec rear carrier fitted when I bought the bike and have a 60Ltr Ortlieb waterproof bag which I will strap to it to carry most of our gear.

I've been going onto reserve at about 130 miles and would estimate that there's enough for another 30-40 miles left in the tank. That's with the TOR exhaust (a must!) and running the bike in properly, using the rev range and gears. I should think that the MPG would be alot better when cruising.

I've only had the bike for just over a week but, can honestly say that I love it to bits.

[ This message was edited by: LaughingBob on 2006-04-18 04:46 ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts