Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I picked up my new-to-me T100 this last Saturday and she rides like a dream!

I have a couple "newb" questions.

1. Without saddle bags, where do you store a toolkit on this bike?!?
(Is there a recommended kit to buy or do you recommend making your own?)

2. Where do you store insurance/registration papers?

My last bike had a slot where you could put your key in and it would unlock the seat. Aside from the battery there was a little compartment where the included tool-kit sat, and a little space left over where I had the bikes papers in a plastic bag.

A funny question to ask, but i just wanted to see what the consensus was. All of the riders in my group ride McHarleys and have leather suitcases attached to them. I don't have the quick release seat bolts, and of I tapped a little bag under the side cover it seems like it would probably get hot.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
There's the rub - there is no storage space on a Bonnie. I've owned two Bonnies (the current one is a cast wheel version) and one Scrambler and they all have this issue.

1) Tools I keep in my saddlebags. These are hard, locking bags to discourage the casual miscreant. I keep on considering installing a tiny lithium battery to free up some space. But the bike is still under warranty and I'm trying to leave the warranty intact.

2) I tried to keep registration and insurance card under the seat, but removing the seat is best left as an occasional task. So now I keep the registration and insurance card in my wallet. There is an aftermarket seat hinge, but the assembly costs about $175, so I'm not prepared to go there.

So, I have no good answers for you - I'm still looking for the perfect Bonneville luggage that will allow me to store some items, but also keep everything safe while I'm away from the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I keep my registration in my riding jacket, but realize this is suboptimal. I've added bags as I use by bike as my year-round commuter, so a minimal toolkit goes in there. You may want to look into a license plate storage box like at twisted throttle. Seems like a good place to store registration and insurance.

Link: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5476/

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
24 Posts
Um, I just realized I went for a ride on Saturday without registration and insurance as I changed jackets. I think the best idea is to store in a waterproof bag under the seat as it is unlikely that I will have to show it to anyone.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I carry my insurance verification card in my wallet. As for the tool kit, I carry what is known by some as a "yuppie tool kit" aka a cell phone, just be sure the phone is fully charged before setting out.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I store it in the right hand cover. It's all stock so there isn't any restriction of air flow, and I just tuck to small papers behind the wires from the fuses. A simple turn of a key or coin accesses that compartment.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm using a soft leather stuffa bag bungeed to the rack. It holds a full self assembled tool kit, electric compressor, 1st aid kit, hand book and a whole manner of other useful bits and bobs. It's a 30 second job to remove when parked.
I never carry documents on the bike or in the car for the simple reason that if stolen they are stolen with it. Such things are safer at home, it's not required to carry them in the UK.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Here every state has different requirements. I carry papers in my wallet. For the commute I have a Givi trunk on the rack (rack and solo seat). I can carry tools and such in it for longer rides.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Extra,

Since this appears to be your first of the new Bonnie's, you'll soon discover that you don't really need to carry tools. The Triumph's we ride are very very reliable. You might be thinking of the old Bonnie's from the '60s and such, they weren't reliable. But things have changed.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Depending on how many and what tools you carry, a tank bag.

The insurance and registration papers are either in my jacket, in the tank bag or I forget them at home.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
+1 on wallet. My insurance company's cards are credit-card sized, so my reg and card live permanently in my wallet. :)

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
Currently my registration and proof of insurance live in my wallet. But by the time the registration expires each year, it's pretty tattered. My GB500 when I had it, had the owners manual in a plastic/rubber envelope that was velcro'd to the inside of the side cover. This is where I kept my insurance and registration paperwork. I'm thinking of exploring that route with the Bonneville as well.

As for tools, Some folks modify their airbox's to run pod filters while keeping the space where the OEM filter is located as a storage space for tools. If you need, I have an airbox you can buy. ;):D

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/102070-another-air-box-mod-thread.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for the great info. It helps to hear some different techniques. The license plate storage box is a cool idea. I'll have to think about that.

I was keeping the papers in a messenger bag I ride to work with, (I just got the bike on saturday, I have yet to ride it anywhere besides to work) and for obvious reasons that won't last. The jacket is a good idea, I'll just have to remember if/when I switch.

I have a "George Costanza" wallet so I'd like to avoid that route but it's not a bad idea. Maybe there's a small pocket under the liner in my helmet.....

As far as tools go, it's good to hear that the chance I'll need them is low. When I start to take day trips I'll probably have a small camel back/back pack so I can always throw a little kit in there.

Any other tips for a new bonnie owner are appreciated!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Tire gauge, chain lube, rag, hand towel, side stand plate in a tank bag.
Paperwork in my wallet.
Owner's manual on my iTouch in PDF format. ;)

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't carry any tools, but if I were to go on a longer trip, I'd probably use a tail bag. My state requires registration as a sticker, so that's done. Insurance card is reduced, laminated and in my wallet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
:(I have saddlebags when needed, but for the daily around town, my "tool kit" is a Leatherman and extra seat bolt wrench zip-tied to the frame; and a Mag-Lite secured to the dresser rail with a couple sets of back-to-back P-clamps (perfect friction fit). A case for my glasses is on the bars with a loop of velcro; and wifey sewed some velcro to a long piece of webbing which is around the seat and can tie down a jacket if needed.

Granted, the Leatherman and light could be taken during a 5-minute stop at the store...but I figure there's only so much worrying you can do about every little thing before you make yourself paranoid.

I carry the insurance ID in my wallet, and don't carry the registration at all. The AZ reg is about 1/3 sheet of paper in size and doesn't last well in the wallet. Most LEOs, of which I'm a retired one, won't get too excited about a lack of registration because the plate(s) gets run anyway.

However, if ya get into a pissin' match with a LEO...well, ya know...

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
1) I carry a few tools (wrench/allen key/spare bulbs) in a small pencil case... that sits on top of the battery, under the seat. Yes, I know how bikes are reliable... But I must be related to Murphy's... So I prefer to be safe than sorry.

2) Insurance/Registration are in a waterproof case in my jacket, along with some cash, a credit card and a photocopy of my driver's license and passport.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My Corbin "Smuggler" seat has a small lockable trunk space beneath the seat cowl. Perfect for small tool kit, papers, gloves, shades, small camera, etc.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 20 of 31 Posts