Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jump started my 2000 tiger and it must have done something bad. Now it runs for about 2-3 mins. with the engine maintenance light on and quits. What'd i do? :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I would be very curious to know the OBD-II code that's making the light come on. That would probably shed some light on what the problem is; everything I can think of off the top of my head would prevent it from running at all, not kill it after a couple minutes.

Cheers, let us know...
-Kit

·
Registered
214 Posts
POP START THAT THING NEXT TIME! i would charge battery up and see if it stays running, may just have low voltage codes. the ecu will throw all kinds of codes if battery is low and it is trying to be jump started. to clear codes ecu needs to see three drive cycles with no faults. then it will shut it self off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
used the car

I jump started my 2000 tiger and it must have done something bad. Now it runs for about 2-3 mins. with the engine maintenance light on and quits. What'd i do? :confused:
thanks for the info guys. yes, I did use the car to jump start it while the car was running. There is nothing in the owners manual about jump the battery, so i just did it the usual way hoping i wouldn't blow something out. I tried pop stating it first, but my drive is gravel and the tire just wouldn't get a grip before i ran out of room. Being alone, i couldn't push it back up. Should i use the car again to put a longer charge on it? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
nyer, You have the same basic engine that my '98 does. The ECM is a power hungry little unit and demands a battery in good condition. Get a battery charger that will charge at a two amp rate and charge your battery overnight.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
thanks for the info guys. yes, I did use the car to jump start it while the car was running.
When jumping from a car, you should not have the car running but use only the voltage in the battery. A car's charging system can be too powerful for a motorcycle, and you can cause damage if the car is running while jumping a bike.

I agree with the others about the battery. It sounds like it is either fried or doesn't have a sufficient charge. I'd see if the battery will hold a trickle charge and go from there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just bought a 1.25amp battery maintainer that works great. It comes with a lead that you would hook up to the battery that has a fuse inline and a connector that plugs into it for the charger that stays hooked up to battery. I use it when ever bike is parked more than a day. It works great, only charges battery when it is needed.You can get them at a auto parts store or local motorcycle shop. Or as bradtx said just get your self a 2amp trickel charger and put it on over night. should take care of your problems.
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/brands/battery-tender/BT-021-0128.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jump start not running

Thanks to all for your response to my dilemma. I will try the trickle charge this week. The battery might be the original, not sure. Might just end up replacing it. will let you know what i find out. Thanks. russ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts