Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I realize that the 4th of July is an American tradition, I just wanted to post my thoughts this afternoon. I am preserving a 1970 Bonneville that my Father gave me. Here are a couple of pics from today. The flag is from a WWII vet's burial. I thought that it may serve to remind us of the sacrifices of our soldiers. My thanks go out today to all that have served.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Truely one of our best holidays. Glad you have kept the flag in
what I would call perfect condition. As always these flags are
special, my family still has one from the Second Great War.

As for the bike, bad news, you left it in the wrong neighborhood.
They did not even give you a cinderblock.

Pookybear

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pooky,
All parts are there, including the orginal English air. The tubes still hold air. Our immediate family has served in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. My Grandfather gave me a US flag with 48 stars that he sevred 10 days in the brig after retrieving. This is all very sentimental and off topic, but it is special day in our history.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Pooky,
All parts are there, including the orginal English air. The tubes still hold air. Our immediate family has served in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. My Grandfather gave me a US flag with 48 stars that he sevred 10 days in the brig after retrieving. This is all very sentimental and off topic, but it is special day in our history.
Great to see that your family has served and protected what
most of us hold dear here in the States, ahem. It is also good to see
that you are proud of it as well.

As for the bike, delighted to hear that all the parts are in boxes.
With just the frame being pictured, it looked like something left
out at night in West Philly.

Pookybear

·
Registered
411 Posts
Having married a American, lived and worked in Alabama, Had a boy born in Montgomery Al and named him Stuart, Lee after you know who, May l wish you a happy July the Fourth. .......... just one thing, why do you celebrate that date??. Just think if you had left things alone, your country men would be worshiping Hinckleys finest instead of tractors!!!. All the best!!.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Having married a American, lived and worked in Alabama, Had a boy born in Montgomery Al and named him Stuart, Lee after you know who, May l wish you a happy July the Fourth. .......... just one thing, why do you celebrate that date??. Just think if you had left things alone, your country men would be worshiping Hinckleys finest instead of tractors!!!. All the best!!.
Thekeyman,

Carefully now, I drive two International Harvester Scouts for
my 4 wheel rides. Nothing like a tractor that can do 50mph
and keep the rain off of you to boot.

As for why we celebrate the 4th, it was the day of the formal
adoption of the Declaration of Independence. Overthrowing
the unjust taxes of England. You know because we had the
idea that we could come up with better taxes but not right
away. It took awhile and then all of a sudden, there were all
kinds of taxes. The rest is history, that we all get to live every
pay check.

Pookybear

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
pookybear

I dont think the final signture was put on the Declaration til about August 2nd. And as far as taxes like da Chicago Cubs say "wait til next year". Did you realize Tractor and Triumph both start with a T and have the same number of letters? The Farmall Cubs I used to work on were great machines like the old triumphs. Neither one had a TPS switch problem like the Rocket 111 Aint seen nuttin made by Hinckley worth worshippin.

NeoDutch59

my thoughts are as yours thanks to those that have served and my prayers for those that are still serving
beautiful flag and bike in works

·
Registered
625 Posts
I love the 4th of July ... that's the day that *WE* said we were sovereign ... the Declaration had not been sent to England yet, no one else in the world recognized it ... but that's the day we were free because that's the day WE Said we were free ...

The people who wrote and signed that document were guilty of major crimes ... offenses for which they could be hanged ... all for the sake of freedom ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts