Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Yes sir, I think my project will be ready to toss into the hat this year. Only a few years behind schedule.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
While waiting for my pistons to arrive and since I could not kick over the engine to check the clutch plates for alignment, I set up a depth gauge and rotated the engine over slowly with the rear wheel and made the appropriate adjustments.



Also while waiting, I fabricated a timing plunger out of a bolt and sleeve.






The pistons ordered were 3.019 in diameter which worked well for the machinist to bore/hone the cylinders to the proper size and he was also able to remove all previous cylinder corrosion. These pistons are almost too pretty to cover up.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Getting close! The intake manifolds previously installed were an after market angled type so the carburetor intakes would not line up with the air filter box. Bought some stock straight manifolds to correct that. Although the silencers are not original, they were a pair that I had. Seems to look ok.

After the initial engine starting, it did not run real well, then quit. Readjusted the valves which helped some, then after some troubleshooting and research, found that I needed to run a ground wire from the head back to the #2 coil. Temporarily using a jumper, that seemed to help greatly. So, now the final precision tuning is up next....then take it for a ride and see if I installed the gearbox correctly! Rats, rain is forecast for the next several days.



 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Gentlemen!
After posting the photos this morning, in the late afternoon I finished up the timing with a strobe, gave the carburetors a final adjustment and gave everything a good looking over, then rolled the bike down the ramp off the work table. It was certainly a lot heavier now than when I pushed the naked frame up the ramp many months ago!

Though it had already begun to rain, I could wait no longer! So I rinsed off the thick layer of dust from my helmet, strapped it on, fired up the Bonneville and took it for it's long overdue maiden "restoration ride" up and down the wet road a few times. Only made it into third gear, but I couldn't stop smiling! After many years of neglect, then sadly this Bonneville had been thrown away as junk into the trash, this old girl now roared down the road under her own power once again.

Not surprising, I did discover the gearbox/transmission will require a few adjustments for a smoother shifting. In spite of the cold rain, I'm glad I took the bike for the short spin, as a couple hours later the first inch of snow for the winter had fallen with more to come.

Many thanks to all of you fine gents on this site who assisted me throughout this entire fun filled project! I certainly would not have been able to do this restoration properly without your generous expertise and inspiration! I am truly grateful!

Thank You!
John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Beautiful bike - Good Job! Hope you have lots of fun with it.

I'll bet you have a lot of great places to ride the bike up there in Northern California.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
It was apparent after a few initial test runs down the street, the gearbox was not shifting as it should. I realized I must have made an error while indexing the camplate quadrant. Also, shortly after my return there was a small pool of gear oil on the floor below the drive sprocket. Rats! At first I was going to just re-index, but then with so much dismantled, I decided to remove the clutch and replace the three seals. The new replacement gearbox oil seal appeared to fit more snug to the main shaft high gear than the previous new seal. As a couple of folks on Trat had recommended, I also applied RTV on the splines behind the washer to prevent any seepage. Thank you for that tip!

This time while indexing, rather than using the Triumph manual procedure, I used the late Mr. Pete’s technique. As always, his method was to the point in order to get the job done, and simple. Very sad to see him go, though thankful his knowledgeable posts will continue to assist all of us with his expertise for many years to come.

After reassembly, I was pleased the gearbox shifted well though all five speeds. It was fun to ride a few brief high speed miles down the road. It’s now time to get some insurance before I get my first speeding ticket on this bike.

Finishing up the final tinkering last night, my plan was for an early morning first “Real Ride,” but it looks like I will have to take a weather delay. More snow. Oh well, looks like a day of coffee, polishing and planning the next Triumph project.

 
121 - 134 of 134 Posts
Top