Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be warned if you have considered getting a swingarm from this company you will be sorry. They are a total muck up from the word go. they want payment up front then if you get your product from them in a year you are doing good, the whole time sending you BS e mail responses if they respond at all. This is the second time I have given them a chance to show me they are a quality company and both times they have failed miseribly. I am looking to find a manufacturer stateside because these clowns should not be in business. This company is what gives the after market a bad name and causes unnessary stress and dissatifaction.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Your just now figuring this out. Their claim of 10 to 14 weeks is nothing but a bunch of bull crap. They've got the same reputation in their own country and are slow to non exsistant. They were the same way in the 80's as they are now. They do a fine product and it's superb if you get it but it takes them forever to get anything out. If your willing to wait it will be one of the finest pieces you'll receive but you'd better have the patience of Jobe.;)

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I think the whole "company" is like one dude making the swingarms. I've seen him quoted as saying "If I'm returning phone calls or emails I'm not making swingarms" so he just doesn't....that really sucks, but like Mr Crusher said, the man does make a damn fine product......eventually.

I'd love to have one, but realistically I think they're about a year or more out...

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Sweat, it's a small shop and I think the guys are brothers. I've talked to both of them before. They've got a few working for them but not many.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Its a shame but that happens alot in hp parts for everything .When one place is the only place to get something good ,they have more work then they can do and dont care if you dont want to wait on them.They guys should get smart and rase the price up so high only a few would want them,thats what alot of the other guys do.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I am looking to find a manufacturer stateside because these clowns should not be in business.
Please keep us abreast of any good stateside shops you find for custom (aluminum) swingarm fabrication. I'm just now starting to look in that direction. My initial work is going to be hitting the bone yard to see if I can find a jap sportbike swingarm that can be retrofitted...

Regards,

--Rich

·
Registered
395 Posts
besides the fact that this swingarm looks bada$$ what are the advantages to using it? Is it more rigid? Is it lighter?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
besides the fact that this swingarm looks bada$$ what are the advantages to using it? Is it more rigid? Is it lighter?
In an email to me he wrote that it's 30% lighter

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Please keep us abreast of any good stateside shops you find for custom (aluminum) swingarm fabrication. I'm just now starting to look in that direction. My initial work is going to be hitting the bone yard to see if I can find a jap sportbike swingarm that can be retrofitted...

Regards,

--Rich
Rich,finding a swingarm to fit,might be tough,because of the shape and the pivot point being cast into the rear of the engine.
The arm is slightly S shaped for clearances.

The arm as shown above,weighs 12lbs,complete.The cast [or forged?] adjusters,with 3" of the thin wall,mild steel,rectangular tube included,weigh 6 of those pounds.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Jeff,I plan to cut the adjusters off my current arm,slug,and weld these on for a mild [to me] 2" stretch. I will have to get a longer chain,of course,so I`ll probably hold off until the fall and replace my sprockets too [in hand already] It will be just a part of pretty complete re-do.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
800? Hmm - the swing arm or alloy wheels? Just askin'!:)
Either, or both....
I got quoted approx $400 for the rims and $400 for the lace job and tire mounting.

I also called Bonneville Performance to inquire about the swingarm and was told it was "around" $800.

So, for a mere $1,600 one could drop some serious ell-bee's

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got mine !

Ordered 14th June 08 arrived Mid-March 09. It is lighter but maybe a kilo at maximum. It does look great, I got the eccentric adjusters.
The front fitting hole for the chain guard is marked but I had to drill and tap it. The rear is non existant and I had to make up a small braket off the shock mount to support it. The brake fitting is also non existant and I had to drill and tap for this as well.
Otherwise it fit well and was simple to install, no instructions, and it took a couple of attempt to work out how to set up an eccentric adjuster.
The mirror polish looks great out of the box but riding in the rain soon loses the shine.
Why, because it looks cool if its stiffer its beyond my ability to notice.

I chased it up a number of times on the phone. There were a multitude of reasons, mis manaufacture and had to be redone, the polisher was ill etc. In discussions with the manufacturer his biggest problem is that every one is a custom job, he thinks if he could do a job run of say 5 or 10 identical units his costs and build time would come right down. But with his list of options no two bonnie arms are the same and he covers a lot of different models.
Would I dio it again? probably not.

Skiddy
Brisbane

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got mine !

Ordered 14th June 08 arrived Mid-March 09. It is lighter but maybe a kilo at maximum. It does look great, I got the eccentric adjusters.
The front fitting hole for the chain guard is marked but I had to drill and tap it. The rear is non existent and I had to make up a small bracket off the shock mount to support it. The brake fitting is also non existent and I had to drill and tap for this as well.
Otherwise it fit well and was simple to install, no instructions, and it took a couple of attempt to work out how to set up an eccentric adjuster.
The mirror polish looks great out of the box but riding in the rain soon loses the shine.
Why, because it looks cool if it’s stiffer it’s beyond my ability to notice.

I chased it up a number of times on the phone. There were a multitude of reasons, miss manufacture and had to be redone, the polisher was ill etc. In discussions with the manufacturer his biggest problem is that every one is a custom job, he thinks if he could do a job run of say 5 or 10 identical units his costs and build time would come right down. But with his list of options no two bonnie arms are the same and he covers a lot of different models.
Would I do it again? Probably not.

Skiddy
Brisbane

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Rich,finding a swingarm to fit,might be tough,because of the shape and the pivot point being cast into the rear of the engine.
The arm is slightly S shaped for clearances.
Yeah, I saw that when I went out to get some basic measurements. I'm a glutton for impossible searches to save some $$s, so I'll probably have to at least look about at the bone yard north of here.

Cheers,

--Rich

PS - only a 9 month wait for a JMC unit....I guess I better order one up now if I want it for xmas!

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Jeff,I plan to cut the adjusters off my current arm,slug,and weld these on for a mild [to me] 2" stretch. I will have to get a longer chain,of course,so I`ll probably hold off until the fall and replace my sprockets too [in hand already] It will be just a part of pretty complete re-do.
Sounds interesting, looking forward to a pic of the progress and final deal. I'm glad you're going to slug them, good call.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts