Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Jetting needed for running alcohol in my Thruxton

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SCCTrim 
#1 ·
haha, I think you should try laying OFF the alcohol.

#4 ·
The old Bonnies had a re-jetting kit for running alcohol. They didn't really catch on. Too many problems. It was more of an "Alternate Fuel" solution.
If you do decide to try it, mix the alcohol very fat. The biggest danger is running lean. It will literally melt your pistons. The other problems, just to list a are carburetor icing, (sometimes visible frost on the carb), condensation in the engine oil and mixture problems with altitude and temperature changes. If our bonnies had EFI it might solve some of these problems.
It might work dependably, carbureted, close to sea level, but my experience drag racing in Calgary (alpine zone) indicated injection was the only way to operate with confidence.

[ This message was edited by: Jimi_X on 2007-01-30 21:06 ]

#5 ·
To answer your question YES-it requires exactly double the jet size over gas. This info is in the old factory tuning manual for racing the Triumphs. I no longer have the manual but remember that info. We used to run methanol in some Karts- not a big problem, we did use oil and fuel mixed with special oil for the alky. Worked good and keeps the engine cool if jetted right. We cleaned out the engine with gas/oil mix after running the alky.

#6 ·
I believe there is an additive now to protect the neoprene and rubber parts from alcohol damage so draining and flushing are no longer necessary. Also, its interesting that someone mentioned that the engine runs cooler on alcohol. In 1991, I talked to a guy running alcohol in a 235MPH Trident when I noticed that he had duct tape over the front of his cylinders. When I asked him what that was for, he responded that at those speeds, on alcohol, he couldn't keep the engine at a high enough temperature for maximum horsepower prodution unless he restricted air flow to the cylinders! :???:

#7 ·
This is copied and pasted from Jimi-X here on these forums sometime ago....if you want to experiment with fuel try this...

JohnyC,
I have posted this cocktail twice over the last 2 years and have had no response. It is my own. It has been tested extensively by myself and other drag racers. Nobody on this forum has said yes, no, good, bad, maybe, or no chance in hell would they use it. The best way to describe it is "gasoline". My buddies, especially those who ride HD's call it Tony's Rocket Fuel.....
Here it is.

120 oz. U.S. Gal.

60 oz. Toluene
40 oz. Xylene
16 oz. Mineral Spirits
4 oz. Automatic Tranny Fluid

I mix in 1L or 1 Qt. per tank full of 92 octane premium. It can be mixed from 10% to 30% of total tank content.

To break it down, it goes something like this:

Both Toluene and Xylene are heavier per volume than gasoline. (Xylene being the heavier of the two). They contain more energy and evaporate faster that conventional fuel. The Mineral Spirits insure a clean combustion chamber and the auto tranny fluid is for top end lubrication.

You will notice a positive change in performance. How strong you mix it is up to yourself. A stock engine or relatively stock engine can only appreciate so much of an octane / power boost and the rest is wasted. In my experience 10% to 15% seems to give you the best bang for the buck.

This is the last time I will post it. If you think I'm crazy, say so. If you think it will do no good or possibly damage your engine, state your claim. I'm riding the proof to the contrary.

#8 ·
A 50/50 mixture of Toluene and 91 octane gasoline will give you 101 octane but no other noticeable increase in performance unless you have upped compression to the point where you need higher octane. However the mixture comes out to about $4.80 a Gallon as opposed to about $6.85 a gallon for 101 VP. Kind of fun to be seen mixing it also, especially if you use glass beakers and other Chemistry lab equipmen! Supposedly, the small amount of extra heat produced by burning Toluene as compared to the same volume of gasoline will give you some boost in power, but probably not noticeable by seat of the pants dyno. Throw in some castor bean oil for really nice aroma. I love that smell! :)

[ This message was edited by: tcb on 2007-01-29 15:57 ]

#11 ·
Hey SCCTrim,
Thanks for the plug.
This stuff really does work. It is just more powerful and stable fuel. It will not damage your engine. If your engine can't appreciate the concentration you have mixed in your tank,...well your just wasting money. I have not run any engine of my own on 100% concentration. Probably more to do with cost. VP fuel would be much cheaper. However there have been race cars that ran on nearly 100% Toluene. There was a percentage of oil with it for top end lube.
I found that the mixture I run, gives a little more power and that from cold to hot the engine rpm doesn't change as much. Probably due to the stability and resistance to pre-ignition and pressure. As I said before,...my HD ridin' buddies, especially the high compression crowd, swear by it.
C'mon,...you know you want it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.