Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

My 2008 Bonnie has been stalling sporadically even after it's been warmed up and rode for a bit. Doesn't happen all of the time, but it happens enough. I've done the following things to try to address it:
Changed the oil (used a K&N oil filter), put in a K&N high flow air filter (wow what a difference that made with the horsepower!), and also removed the Air injection system.

I have the stock pipes on there right now, but I'm waiting for a pair of dunstall replicas to show up.

So my questions are:
1. Any suggestions about jetting since I put in the new K&N Filter, and will be putting on the Dunstalls. I feel like the bike is lean.
2. Thoughts about my stalling problem?

Any suggestions are great. Thanks all
E

·
Registered
510 Posts
Idle adjustment?

When does it stall? after riding and you come to a stop? sitting at a light?

Have you tried adjusting your idle knob to speed up the idle a bit at stops?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it stalls at stops. On a few occassions it's actually stalled when I would pull in the Clutch while the bike was still rolling! The other thing I've noticed in the last month is that when I first got the bike it would start right up when I pushed the starter. Now I always have to use the choke. I'll play with the idle adjustment to see how that works, but it "feels" like it's idling where it should be. Man I miss having a tacho!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Since you've already done some air intake mods, it is likely that your already running lean. If the dunstalls are on there way I wouldn't bother to rejet until they get here. Try going a 1/2 turn out on the pilot screws and bump the idle up a bit. I run mine around 1050 rpm, when it gets really Arizona hot (110°) the idle will creep up to around 1150 rpm. Not having a tach is a drag, that's why I installed a cheapy aftermarket just so I could check idle speed and watch it bounce at high rpm's.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I doubt your running lean. From all of the posts that I have read, the stock air filter actually flows better than a K&N. I still run the stock filter. When I need to replace it I might go with a Uni or K&N, never have to buy another.

Mike

·
Registered
442 Posts
Let me clarify, you might be running lean, but not because you swapped air filters.

Mike

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you are stalling when the throttle is closed, main jets probably aren't the issue. How many turns out on the idle mixture screw are you running? Mine was set from the factory at about 1 1/4 turns out, but even opening it up to over 3 turns didn't stop the stalling at stop signs/traffic lights. Going to 42s, set about 1 1/2 turns out, cured it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts