Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the new owner of a 2008 jet black S3 I am after some initial advice re the "soft" paint/lacquer finish. The tank has some scratches, not too deep, but not swirls. What do you recommend?
option 1...leave it to go tatty and add to its hard status
option 2....stop looking at the tank....but this is hard to do when f/wheel skyward
option 3....Nu finish Scratch Doctor or Zymol or AutoGlym...have any of you had any success with these,,,,,or disasters?

cheers to all
Ian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Ian

As a previous owner of a black bike I can understand. You can either let it bug you all the time, or do what you can to protect it and get on with it. I reckon you need a tank protector (carbon of course) and also a protector on the sides.

When it gets really bad in a few years you have an excuse for a new paint job or even a new bike ;)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
How about a Bagster tank cover? Especially good if you have a tank bag.
Hindsight is 20/20....if I had known what I know now I would've done the preventative maintenance from the start. No worries though, I'd rather my bike look like it's actually ridden than show room condition.

SO! Anyone suggest a good polish/wax?

Cheers,
M.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Webbikeworld.com has battled this issue for some time. They list few specialty products to fix it, check it out.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Go to Napa, and get some clear coat polish, and use a lambswool or Terry cloth buffer to take out the scratches. I did it on my bike and it came out like new.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wax polish clear cut swirl surface machine glaze hand = nightmare

Thanks for tips,
a bit of searching for Meguiar and others, finds wax polish clear cut swirl surface machine glaze hand = nightmare

I guess leave it dirty is simpler, but if anyone has a "I use this regularly and it toughens the finish, leaving it like glass" response then please add it.

I am a once a week cleaner of a bike used daily ...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Sort of depends how brave you're prepared to be!

The clearcoat on the S3 is reasonably thick and can take a hammering. Deeper scratches can be wet sanded with P2000 and buffed out. Read below for safer methods!

There are also wet sanding pads available from Mirka (Abralon pads) and 3M (Trizact pads) that offer extremely fine grits. They are designed to be used on an orbital sander, but they can be used by hand. P3000-P4000 will make hand cutting easy and alway's use clean water (preferably from a squirty bottle)!!!

As for cutting compounds, look for something fine and suitable for use by hand. You'll still be able to use a polisher if you want, but many machine compounds cannot be used by hand. If using a machine (polisher), stay away from edges!!!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
97 Posts
For removing small scratches/swirls by hand I normally use something like Meguiars ScratchX or the Mothers scratch remover. Both have diminishing abrasives which means the more you rub the finer the cut and are good products IMO.

There are too many surface protectants, waxes etc available - try joining a detailing forum and do some searching or ask one of the pros for advice and make your own mind up from there. Like bike forums, there is a wealth of info out there on detailing.

Also, I've tried those colour match polishes and didn't like them. Seemed a bit harsh and, while it filled larger scratches, it created swirls everywhere else

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I guess I should have added that one should have the knowledge on how to use an orbital buffer before going wild on your paint! I use Scratch-X and it really works well on the finer scratches/swirls.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What about touch up paint? I've got these scratches on the side knee panels of the bike that are deep enough that they are actually white. The scratch goes all the way through the paint.

I can deal with it being scratched, it is supposed to be a street fighter, but I'd rather not have a white gash in the middle of my black panel.

Would the paint be the best route to go with this?

·
Registered
47 Posts
what ****s me to tears is, WHAT IS THE CLEARCOAT SO SOFT!!!! lots of jap bikes didnt even need any tank protection from clothes/jeans, but my 08 1 month old triple was scratched to all buggery by the time i had ridden 10mins home from the dealer.

Everyday there is a new scratch on the top of the tank and i dont even know what from.... I currently have 3m tankslapper on the sides and triumph carbon tank protector for the midde/belt buckle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you follow this and use these products I promise
it will take out minor scratches and your paint issues.

Use this product to remove the scratches and scuffs
from leather coats on tanks, finders, and rear fairings.
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/101879-sos-its-cold-and-my-08-wont-start-new-post.html

You will use a drill and a foam pad like this one. Get it
damp first, spin out the water then put the fine cut
cleaner on pad and work into the surface.

After you use that product clean out the pad and again
get it damp. Follow up with a couple coats of Mirror glaze
or Machine Polish. Again use it on the drill. As long as the
pad is damp it will not burn your paint.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mega1216.html
http://www.properautocare.com/megno3macpol.html

the foam pad that i'm talking about looks like this but
can be purchased from places like Auto Zone or O'Reilly
Auto Parts. You can also get the cleaners and wax from
OReilly's.
http://www.hifelt.com/mq12.htm

Never use terrycloth on a motorcycle only use MICROFIBER
cloths. Sam's sells them in bulk packs at a great price.

Also, for a detail spray use a spray bottle with a few oz's
of the polish. If you cant find the above let me know and
I'll tell you what kind of 3m or Dupont products you can
use.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I should also say that when you use the above method
with the parts on the motorcycle you should cover up
everything else with towels or something. So that sling
doesn't get in hard to reach area's. An orbit buffer will
not work HALF as good as a drill with those foam pads