Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Jardine RT- ONE slip-on silencer at a reasonable price at e-bay for my 01 Tona;
The bike already has a K&N air filter and I would like to know if anyone else has this bike-exhaust-air filter combination and if the ECU has had to be re-mapped for fuel air ratio;

Air flow variation with air filter losses between OEM and K&N is definitively negligible but not sure about this exhaust: only aesthetics and noise or has the potential to give out some more BHP?

·
Registered
21 Posts
so your the one that drove up the bid! lol! i have been watching some auctions for the same pipe. seen one go for 92 shipped. from what i hear there actually really nice pipes but a bit on the loud side.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It is safe enough to run the pipe without any other changes and it should run just fine.
I would caution you about running out and getting a dealer remap with TOR after fitting the pipe as that route opened a huge can of worms in my case.
Short story is that the bike ran perfectly to the dealer with my new exhaust and they put in the TOR tune and sent me sputtering away and the bike ran like crap.
Long resolution was that I learned alot about my Daytona from various sources and was able to make it better by setting the correct TPS voltage (.608), and having another dealer zero my throttle trim. It still had a flat spot and through the generosity of another member here who basically bought me a Tuneboy, my bike now runs great. There were some dark days of poor throttle response and a big flat spot but now it fuels like a beast. It took a few dyno runs and fiddling to get there though.
PM me if you need assistance.
Good luck!
Ed

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Luiz, Replacing the OEM can almost always requires a remap (2Bros often don't, however).

With my '04 the difference was apparent when I installed the TOR low mount can. The 10181 TOR tune was installed and everything became better than ever. Throttle response right off idle with no flat spots (2K-4K flat spot from new that worsened when the can was swapped).

The '02 here has a MM (massive midrange) style tune that was locally whipped up for it via TuneBoy and based on the 10128 map. Gave a 1098 fits last track day, BTW.

If you have air injection you'll need the 10179 tune.

Brad

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jardine exhaust further questions

Thks all for the replies.

955GUY, I could not resist buying the exhaust since availability of those that fit on 01 model is low and when found cost more than R$2200 (USD 1000); Looks like the seller had a whole lot of those because I saw at least two more being auctionned;

What is the meaning of "TOR" ?

I believe I will test run the bike without any new tune and check for flat spots on throttle response, overall performance and fuel consumption, burbling on deceleration and cold/ hot start. If anything goes worse than stock I will go to the dealer for a new tune.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Luiz, I misread your model year, disregard the tune numbers. Sorry! Looks like the dealer will load TOR tune 10072 for your application, if you need it.

TOR stands for Triumph Off Road and applies in this context to their less restrictive cans and aftermarket cans.

Brad

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
remapping

Thks again Bradtx.

Other than remapping by the dealer, there are the PowerPC and TuneBoy options, which will cost about the same. PowerPC is pretty straighfoward but don't know about its reliability but TuneBoy led to some interesting questions:

Has anyone ever experienced data corruption when loading a new map? Pinballer bad experience may be due to such a thing when the dealer loaded the new map. Re-programing EPRONS, like those in the ECU requires ininterrupted good quality power suply so any wiring bad contact poses a potential problem.

I guess what may happen if you get a Microsoft blue screen while loading a map. Does TuneBoy have an "erase previous map" function?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know much about mapping ecu's other than why it has to be done, however I do know about computers and programs. I'm almost 100% certain that if a map was corrupted or interrupted in the middle of an upload, it probably wouldn't work at all, rather than just run crappy.

Just my thought about it, I may be wrong. Does the dealer charge you for mapping the ecu? I was under the assumption they'd do it for free *shrug*

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Luiz, TuneBoy can reload a saved map. The PCIII is a reliable piece of equipment, but TuneBoy trumps with it's diagnostic ability.

neomaximus, You jest. I have read of dealers remapping for free if the can was bought from them. I paid 1/2 hour labor back when I swapped the '04's can.

Brad

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Map loading dealer prices

Sao Paulo dealer charges 2 hours, that is R$500 (USD 230);
If you buy the silencer from them, there will be no costs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OEM map engine run

Just run the engine with OEM map, Jardine exhaust plus K&N air filter, that was there for just one year. Amazed by how bad it was!!! engine spluttered and misfired accelerating and cought baddly deccelerating. Bad drive from the shop the exhaust was installed to ther Triumph dealer that will load 10071 map, in Sao Paulo traffic jam!!
I hope new map will make the engine manageble other than tracks!!
I was really surprised by the effect of the open end pipe on the engine behaviour...noisier/ more end RPM power but tricky accel/ deccel issues with OEM tune.
Will report what effect 10071 tune will hopefully have!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10071 TOR map + K&N + Jardine exhaust

Dealer loaded 10071 TOR map for R$115 (USD 50) bargain price.
Amazed how good the effect is. Very good accel/ deccel response from 2K rpm with no noticeble flat spot.
Loud, Loud!!, Loud!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Luiz, Good to read about the discounted price on the tune. My '04 was transformed like yours with it's TOR can/tune, most appreciatably below 4K RPM.

Brad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts