Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought and modified a receiver hitch carrier to carry my bonnie on the back of my truck. This one is special as it has a 3/4 acme screw jack to raise and lower the bike. You lower the carrier rail to ground level, load and strap down the bike and then crank it up to the carrying position. This eliminates the risk of using a ramp and having the bike slip and fall on the loader. I modified the two square tubes that carry the trough by cutting and welding the outer 6 inches up at a 45 degree angle. This was necessary because the would ground out backing onto up grades and could dig in. I am about to add air springs to the truck to raise take care of the sag on the back of the truck. I took it on a 500 mile trip and it worked well. Since the wheels pretty much block the tail lights on the truck, I added reflectors both side and rear and long led light bars for stop, turn and tail lights on the bike carrier trough. The aluminum trough is from my old trailer. I bought the carrier without their standard trough. Note that I got rid of the eye bolts on the carrier to secure the straps. I drilled 1/2 inch holes in the ends of the bars so that the strap hooks can be inserted from the inside to the outside. This way they can't fall out if they go momentarily slack and the two square tubes that carry the trough along with the trough can be easily removed for storage. This also makes the weight of the carrier with the hoist mechanism separate from the trough light enough for one person to easily install and remove it from the truck. It doesn't lower quite to ground level, so I just back up to a curb or incline and then it will lower to ground level. I like it.

I still may add some weight on the front end of my truck, or the front of the bed as it is slightly light on the front wheels.

Here is the manufacturer of the hitch carrier.

http://magnetatrailers.com/

Here is another source for the same carrier.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Oldenkamp/RHDC1.html

The light bars can be bought here. http://www.easternmarine.com/LED-Thin-Line-Over-80-Stop/Turn/Tail-Light-STL-69RB/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
........I still may add some weight on the front end of my truck, or the front of the bed as it is slightly light on the front wheels.
....... good looking system. Perhaps you could shift the bike carrier rail slightly further foward and get a large friend to ride in the cab with you?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your sleepers are my fifth set of pipes and they are the ones that are going to stay. I really like them. Thanks again. A good friend who hauls very heavy equipment, one of his rigs has 64 wheels suggested that I need another hitch and bike on the front of the truck!

·
Registered
706 Posts
My only change would be is to install trailer lights to it that you can plug in. Hate to see the bonnie get "rear ended".

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Class 3 hitch. The hitch says that it is rated for 500 lbs tongue load or 800 lbs with a load leveler hitch. The bike and the hitch are about 600 or maybe less.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
That seems to do a nice job hauling the bike. Much easier than getting it into the truck. Personally, I'm not even comfortable with my bike on a trailer, always afraid something bad will happen. I'd never be looking at the road if I was driving with that setup, I'd be focused on the rear view mirror. I'm sure it's capable but if I came up behind you on my bike I'd be around you in a flash.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts