Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Triumph use to offer one simular to what sweat posted. It was called the "Highway" jacket - which is kinda the generic term used for a "Fonze" jacket. The one Triumph offered even had shoulder/elbow protection inserts. Think they discontinued it after 2004.

Why not check out the new Triumph clothing catalog? They have some nice looking retro looking leathers again this year. I wanted the Romero jacket, but when I tried one on at the local Triumph dealership - it didn't fit my arms - so I found something else that did.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Well, I went for the genuine rocker article: Lewis.

Take a look at Johnson Leathers. Hand made in SF, CA. I just grabbed a pair of riding pants from them. Awesome quality. You can buy off the rack or have it custom fit.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Not sure what your looking for but make sure you get something that fits, offers good protecetion and is comfortable "ON THE BIKE", not standing in the store.

I have a vintage Schott/Dur-O-Jac for sale on eBay (size 42/44) if interested. Was posted in Classifieds as well.

My eBay Offering

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wear a Schott "classic Racer 141"

jacketSchott leather Jackets and Motorcycle apprel

With an Aplinestars "bionic protection Jacket" under it.

armorBionic protection jacket-alpinestars official store

I used to wear a textile jacket that had full armor in it, and it saved my shoulder and elbow in low speed fall. However the short slide did melt the textile.

I had worn the armor long enough in the textile jacket that I felt naked without it. I had the leather jacket that was "a tad" large for me, but with the armor inside, it fits perfect.

It is also nice and warm on cold days.

best of luck shopping,
Simmons

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check out the Belstaff Montana jacket at britishmotorcyclegear.com It comes with removable Knox elbow, shoulder and back protection. The jacket rocks on or off the bike! It's 400 beans.... but my skin is worth it. I'll still wear my Schott Perfecto from time to time around town. Good luck in your search for a jacket, it took me a good three months.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sweatmachine,

If you can find the size you need you can get it for under $200 with shipping off ebay. Still expensive, but you get the flexibility of wearing it under anything.

I had a lot of trouble finding a jacket with shoulder, elbow, and spine armor that I liked. To me this thing had it all, and I figure it will save me a few buck from buying jackets for different conditions.

That said, you are right, $300 bucks is a bit of a drag.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Sweat,

No kidding. And I got mine BEFORE Lewis "adjusted" their worldwide pricing...

I paid (are you sitting?) $700. Now my same jacket sells for over $1K. Insane.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It is a beautiful jacket. Fits great. Looks great. But I'll be the first to admit (and openly embrace my label whore-ness) that most of my money went to the "heritage" factor. Dollar-to-pound conversion didn't help either.

Maybe it's the same reason why people shun metric cruisers. No matter how well-built and inexpensive the bikes are, what some folks really want is that Harley badge on the tank.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
On 2006-12-28 13:00, abqrainman wrote:
I've been lurking for a while now, but I had to get in on this one. I was thinking of getting a jacket from here http://www.skinandbonecustoms.com/ . Anybody had any experience with them?
That's Bret's shop/site. I haven't ordered anything from him yet, but he's a cool guy. I'd give him a try for sure.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im thinking about the Spidi Black or the Triumph Reveton.
The Spidi looks nice and gets really good reviews. The triumph looks as though I am paying about half for the triumph patch, but I like it - lol.

I gave up on Rocker jackets many years ago, they seem to bulk up to much around the back and neck when in the riding position of a Cafe Racer.

[ This message was edited by: Whitehurst on 2006-12-28 13:27 ]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts