Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious of opinions regarding jacket color and visibility.

Here in Florida there are a significant amount of elderly drivers who are legally blind and still behind the wheel. AND there are the tourists who suddenly realize that they want to turn across all lanes of traffic to get to their destination.

I find myself more aware of what others are wearing, how visible they are in their jacket. (Bike color visibility would be a whole nother discussion).

Seems that the majority of what's on the market, and what I see on the road are either black or grey. Sometimes with a little color infused.

Wondering if there's ever been any research in visibility of jacket
colors or color combinations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fishnchimps,
I don't know about any studies that have been done, but I wear a First Gear Torrent jacket in the yellow and black and find a lot more people looking at me when I go by (I commute in L.A. traffic).

Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Olympia has just posted new jackets on their website.

The Viper and

The Bonneville

Both have options of solid color or subtle hi viz

I too have had the experience where I KNOW I was seen due to my jacket.

It also influenced my decision NOT to buy the very common Platinum/Silver Triumphs that I was encountering. The grey/silver blends too well with the road.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Although the high vis colors are incredibly bright, I can't bring myself to consider them. So, I wear jackets with red accents.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I wear a Belstaff jacket similar to Lanesplitters, but it is getting on and has faded a bit, so to keep the dickhead gate guards happy on base, I wear an Icon Mil-spec vest over it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shortly after I posted I came across this:

"It is noted that the color red, used for fire fighting equipment, is one of the least visible of vehicle colors."

..."Some of the studies I have found, such as the "Motorcycle Rider Conspicuity and Crash Related Injury: Case-Control Study" in the BMJ (BMJ, ex British Medical Journal), published in January of 2004, seem to indicate that black is the worst possible color in terms of visibility (i.e., wearers are involved in more crashes), while yellow and white are the most visible.

Silver is also apparently not a good color under many real-world conditions, because it tends to blend in with the background colors of the road surface."

·
Registered
32 Posts
The best colors to wear are white, silver, yellow or that neon safety green. Reflective patching or piping Colors like red that may be easy to see in the daytime are actually difficult to see at night. An easy way to test this is to take some different color t-shirts (preferably plain shirts) and have someone walk towards you car at night. I may surprise you how close they will get with some colors before you see them.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have a big yellow motorcycle, a big yellow helmet, and a big yellow and black jacket. I get comments all the time about how visible I am compared to other motorcycles. I also have a really loud horn and really bright lights. I'm not a believer in loud pipes saving lives, but I think quiet motorcycles make friends.
I don't understand the use of the disruptive patterns often seen on sportbikes and sportbike riders' helmets. It looks like dazzle camouflage use in WWI! If you're being shot at, you don't want to be seen. Survival on a motorcycle requires being seen!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been riding a new Olympia Hi-Viz jacket for two weeks now. Say what you like, it gets you noticed, no doubt about it. I ride in Denver rush hour traffic most days, and I think at this point I'll feel naked without it....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been riding a new Olympia Hi-Viz jacket for two weeks now. Say what you like, it gets you noticed, no doubt about it. I ride in Denver rush hour traffic most days, and I think at this point I'll feel naked without it....
Living in an area of Florida where there is a SIGNIFICANT elderly population AS WELL AS tourists, ANY time you leave the driveway - whether on a motorcycle, bicycle, on foot or in a car - the onroad experience is like Mr Toady's Wild Ride meets Run What You Brung. Vewry scarey!!!

I first noticed the hi-viz when driving a car in a horrific Orlando traffic jam, I saw the riders hi-viz in my rearview mirror LONG before I saw the motorcycles they were on! That experience set me in pursuit to find something that hi-viz.

Yet the Hi-Viz jackets or helmets don't seem to be so popular - which I don't yet understand.

Ah well, to each his own! Ride safe, wherever you are and whatever you wear!

(Have to ask, what kind of Olympia did you get that is working so well for your Denver commute?)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Some companies are marketing Mil-Spec gear which per military regs must be brightly colored and reflective. They look better and have more functionality than a traffic vest. Plus Icon has a mesh, hi vis vest which would be benificial for Florida's warm summer. I know Olympia has a lot of hi vis stuff too. Anything that has Scotchlite on it too is super for nighttime visibility, firefighters have it on their bunker gear and it's bright when light hits it and I think they make decals that are black in day light, then become reflective when a light is striking it.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
High Visibility

Here in north Florida it's not quite that bad, but still anything that gets you seen has got to be a big help. I've found a bright orange with yellow reflective vest (sort of like what road workers wear) at Home Depot for about 20 bucks. It's pretty heavy-duty and has the wide reflective stripes in an X across the back and continuing around the sides, so you have 360 degree coverage. I can just slip it over whatever jacket I'm wearing and then take it off when I get where I'm going and stash it in my bag or whatever. That way you can be very visible on the road, yet be stylish in your black leather.

Some may say it looks a little silly, but it gets attention on the road. I think I look a lot better in it than in a coffin.....

Don

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Dress like a cop. They'll see you! :policeman:
I believe that I read an article about how motorists "see" police-bikers much better than other bikers. Could be worth a try. And in certain parts of town you might get a discount at Dunkin Donuts :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts