Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Not sure why you don't worry about getting pulled over, they're not going to run your plates and just let you go by because some riders are troopers. Hopefully a good cop will come along and nail the lot of you for thinking you're above the law..

:policeman::LaughAtYou:
I dont know...they all ride blz out...Maybe they call ahead...or give some kind of heads up beforehand...

They do have MC patches and several "club houses" throughout the state...so maybe the other troopers just know buy know...:confused:

...and Im not "above the law."...

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
3. All police officers (in the USA) are armed with a variety of weapons; pistols, shotguns, pepper spray, TASERS, and of course the good old nightstick. In many cases they can use any or all of these with impunity; as long as all the paperwork is clean. They can always claim that you were resisting arrest; the officers know where all the surveillance cameras are.
Tex, I'm going to disagree with you on this one point. There is only one just cause for using deadly force or escalated force. Has nothing to do with paperwork, it has to do with training. The use of Deadly Force and it's training requires a non aggressive stance for the law enforcement officer. If approached by an aggressor they can only use the necessary force to subdue. If they are approached with intent of bodily harm they can only react to protect and subdue. If they are approached with deadly intent then and only then can they react in kind. Any escalation by the officer is a offense against the law. They must and can only respond in kind.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Tex, I'm going to disagree with you on this one point. There is only one just cause for using deadly force or escalated force. Has nothing to do with paperwork, it has to do with training. The use of Deadly Force and it's training requires a no aggressive stance for the law enforcement office. If approached by an aggressor they can only use the necessary force to subdue. If they are approached with intent of bodily harm they can only react to protect. If they are approached with deadly intent then and only then can they react in kind. Any escalation by the officer is a offense against the law. They must and can only respond in kind.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

Jeff, this may be the official policy. But, what actually happens on the street doesn't always conform to policy. I guess that it depends on the officer's mood and how "ignorant" you get. I've lived in Houston for 46 years; right or wrong, this is the land of the "throw down gun". Unfortunately, I haven't lived anywhere else in my adult life; so my experiences are not as wide and varied as others who have lived in other places. In Houston there have been many instances of police brutality and use of excessive force. For each one that comes to the attention of the public and the media, there are several more that do not.

As I said before; in a more perfect world, none of this would ever take place. But, we don't live in a perfect world; there never was such a place. The police know the laws of evidence; they can and do get away with it. ..................James.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
i was riding next to a boston cop the other day, looked over, and saw him on his cell phone. when we came to a stop light i gave him a look while he continued to talk, kinda shook my head, and then looked forward. he opened his window hailed me "hey buddy! you got a problem?" and tried to intimidate me "you keep your head on straight" or some nonsense like that when i told him i didn't like folks driving and talking on cell phones near me when i'm on my bike. s.o.b. followed me for a mile before i got tired of it and exited road we were on and allowed him to continue on a path that lead him out of boston and into cambridge. jackass.

Seems you have to watchout in Cambridge nowadays.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I dunno..the cop calling you on being a jerk and shaking your head at him seems OK..he didn't taser you or anything...If you were acting like a jackass and made eye contact with me and started shaking your head, I would have called you on it too.
As far as following you for a mile, you could have been heading in the same direction. If he followed you when you made your exit, and a few turns after that, then you might have something. All-in-all, it sounds like you need to get off your high horse and grow up a little. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
How in the hell is it OK for the Cops to tell us to abide by laws if they abuse or break them themselves? Want to know why the police in our countries are no longer respected? Thats why. Hypocracy stinks wherever its coming from.

Sometimes cops are their own worst enemies.

I would've done the self same thing. Jerk or no I'll stay on the high horse with Neuroboy thanks. It puts me at a moral superiority over hypocrytical jerks. Neuroboy is dead right on this one.

Wonder if you'd been seriously injured by a driver using their mobile phone you'd feel the same way?

Don't cops get hands free systems in the USA?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
it sounds like you need to get off your high horse and grow up a little.
i don't want to argue semantics and i was really not looking to pick a fight, i was simply venting about what felt like a cop overstepping. yes, i'm well aware that vocal disapproval to a stranger in public is not a viable means to change behavior. the dude's reaction probably scared me a little and got me a little torqued which is why pretty much clammed up when he rolled his window down and i posted my little micro-rant here instead.

(on the flip side, i'm a firm believer that public disapproval is a major means society-as-a-whole has to prevent boorish behavior until the thought-police start handing out citations to folks that interrupt real-life conversations to send text messages. it's just maybe not good say these things to cops ;))

and yes, i suspected knee jerk reactions by folks who wouldn't take my words at face value and choose, instead, to infer that i enjoy pissing and moaning about "the man" like a character from easy rider. i'm nothing if not a reasonable person which is why i maybe sound a little touchy that folks are saying i'm not and it's also why i finished my initial post with "i know some of you are officers and i mean no disrespect toward you and your colleagues, but this guy was clearly acting like a jerk.". if anyone wants to disagree with my actual assertion and say he was acting like a reasonable person i'm all ears.

and thank you, tin pig, for one of the only reasonable responses i've heard "He never put your head shaking and his phone use together. He just thought you were some outlaw wannabe who doesn't like cops."

seacrest out.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
and thank you, tin pig, for one of the only reasonable responses i've heard "He never put your head shaking and his phone use together. He just thought you were some outlaw wannabe who doesn't like cops."

seacrest out.
Sorry seacrest.... but, tin pig's explanation would have made a lot more sense, IF you hadn't wrote the following in your original post.

he opened his window hailed me "hey buddy! you got a problem?" and tried to intimidate me "you keep your head on straight" or some nonsense like that when i told him i didn't like folks driving and talking on cell phones near me when i'm on my bike.
So, IF you told him that... he musta put it together. Or am I missing something? :cool:

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
This proves it more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_F53QZUsqw

The guy died!

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6THfDGy1hN4

Hey lets punch a woman in the face! She was being realy violent towards the six foot plus cop huh?

Public servants my backside:mad: It pertains to the fact that too many put on a uniform so that they can bully and act aggressively to the rest of us. Nothing to do with law enforcement. Everything to do with being a Jerk.

Now I work with some excellent community police officers so don't get the idea I have no time for the police. I have all the time for those who really are trying to protect us, and make our streets safe. But I don't hold any truck with hypocrites or jerks who think the uniform gives them the right to treat us with contempt or deny us our hard won freedoms and rights. Like the one to protest. Be it against War, political corruption, or even using a mobile(cell)phone whilst driving!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrmP4MwHTKw

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I agree police brutality is unacceptable.

I believe the problem is in their training.

I know several cops, they are like anyone, some good some bad, which is completely unacceptable. With power should come responsibility.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
here take a look at this. Note that the guy who died was not being pursued.

Biker dies after police car crash

A motorcyclist has died and another was injured after they were involved in a crash with a police car in Norfolk.
The collision happened on Saturday on the B1108 Norwich Road at Carbrooke shortly before 1100 BST.
The car driver received minor injuries and was taken to Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. The second biker also suffered minor injuries.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission will oversee an investigation into the crash.
A police spokesman said: "There are no indications the car was involved in a pursuit."

From the BBC news site.

Lets see how this one pans out. I wonder if the copper was on his or her mobile phone?

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
When I was younger I trained for riots....the one thing I never forgot is things are not always as they appear on the camera. At the time the case in point was a cop seen striking a protester with his nightstick. What the camera did not show was that the protester was kicking the cop in the legs....oh yea and he had razor blades sticking out of the soles of his shoes.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Well I can tell you the woman did not have razor blades sticking out of her shoes, and the Chap who died was a newspaper seller trying to find a way through the crowds to get home. I could also tell you about the elderly couple who were attending environmental protests, who ended up having their photo taken, being followed and arrested under anti terror laws for the act of protesting about the environment. Sorry mate the police are begining to overstep their mark. It might be govt's fault but it is they who wield the baton.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts