Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
You pull up next to a cop, dis him, and then get angry when he isn't happy about it. Now you think the cop is the one with a problem. Classic.
no need to get all sarcastic-y. like i said, i'm not surprised that he didn't like me saying i don't like cell phone'd drivers. what didn't like was that he acted threateningly and followed me for a mile. recall from my initial post, too, that it was the officer that escalated the exchange by rolling down his window and yelling at me when i'd already let it go and moved on.

Y'all stereotyping cops as some power hungry jerks really need to step off for a bit.
i made it clear from in initial account that it was this guy (not all cops) was acting like a jerk. this guy pulled a power play. . . nowhere in my comments did i stereotype anyone

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The government should require a chip in all cell phones that makes it hang up at speeds over 25 mph.

problem solved .

Sorry you train commuters - use your laptops, or a phone on the train.

A guy I ride with sometimes takes phone calls while riding!

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Bottom line? the Cop/Police constable is paid by our Tax dollars/pounds. He or she is therefore a public servant with the duty to protect and serve. He or she is not repeat not the public's ruler with the right to lord it over us or treat us with disdain. The Police lost the goodwill and respect of a lot of the public when they lost sight of this fact. Until they remember who pays them and what they are here for then they won't get that respect back.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I agree with that premise 100% Nick; in a more perfect world this should be true. In the real world however, if you run your mouth to a cop, he CAN and WILL ruin your day. You might beat the rap; but you won't beat the ride. ..........James.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The government should require a chip in all cell phones that makes it hang up at speeds over 25 mph.

problem solved .

Sorry you train commuters - use your laptops, or a phone on the train.

A guy I ride with sometimes takes phone calls while riding!
that's craziness!

check out this article on how to stop cell phones and driving. . .

How to stop cell-phone use behind the wheel.

and yeah. . . thrux-texas. . . you speak the truth. . . just ask henry louis gates, jr.

·
Registered
66 Posts
He never put your head shaking and his phone use together. He just thought you were some outlaw wannabe who doesn't like cops.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do not use my cell phone driving in a state where it is legal. And in this example the law is not a deciding factor on whether I do or don't do something. Driving is serious business. There are other people, and responsibilities are very large. This is real life like you practicals say, and in this real life we break. So I will never be responsible for injuring someone else being negligent in a vehicle. The fact I didn't break the law could not save my conscience. And to anyone that it does, you are living in your world and not our world.

Saying this I would hope a cop, someone responsible for peoples fate and lives, could understand this. Driving is a serious part of a police officers job. They shouldn't be having a social conversation on a cell phone.

It would be hard for me to resist shaking my head as well. Although when he asked if I had a problem, I would of started telling him how it is more dangerous to drive with a cell phone, and that he represents safety and caution. That he is giving people the wrong impression about how you do things that need to be taken seriously. If he started getting on me, I'd remind him that I am a harmless individual concerned with all our safety, and I am person he is being payed to protect and serve.

You can say the cop can do all these harmful things. And he can do these things. But you can bet if a police officer ever fabricated something against me in a situation like this I would be in court explaining everything as it occurred. Challenging the police officer to be as detailed in the events. I think a judge could see clearly if the police officer appeared to have a grudge or not. Now it would only depend on if the judge was corrupt and just sides with police officers.

But Road_Dog, I echo Martin Luther King saying whats wrong is wrong, without violence. The safest thing to do is nothing, but nothing doesn't stop poor behavior. The OP showed up the police officer, by being more concerned over safety than him. Maybe the police officer will remember this at some point and not continue driving with a cell phone. Even getting some 200 dollar ticket could be worth that to me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You pull up next to a cop, dis him, and then get angry when he isn't happy about it. Now you think the cop is the one with a problem. Classic.

Do you really think it'd been any different if it was a civilian?

Y'all stereotyping cops as some power hungry jerks really need to step off for a bit. You shouldn't harass lions and expect them to behave like kittens.

Here's someone who stood-up and expressed their opinion to the officer and here on the forms unlike many people who whould have been disgusted and not said a word to anyone.

Which one is playing the role of the "sheep"?

·
Registered
609 Posts
What a sad state of affairs when citizens think it okay for a LEO to harass a person for expressing their opinion in public.
Harass a person for ANYTHING, sadly far too many enjoy that. Part of the problem (IMO) is that the average person is far more likely to ineract with a jerk cop than a good cop. This gives the appearance that most/all/name your percentage cops are bad.

Granted, the job does attract the wrong kind of people, the system in place at most departments are designed to weed them out during the interview processes. That being said, due to affirmative action many departments are forced to accept people that should never be cops in order to make quotas. I know a lot of good cops, but only because I know them outside of the 'job'. Nearly all of those I've met doing their job have been at best slightly snarky, at worst complete jerks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So the bad cops are minority cops? Think about what you are saying.
Didn't say that at all, depends on the area and how messed up either affirmative action or the entry process itself is.

Considering I've only had interactions (socially or professionally) with maybe 100 LEO's (most I know from shooting events) I don't think that's any basis for blanket statements.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
One of the MCs I ride with has three state troopers in it...all three are minorities...whats fun about riding with this club is we go 80-90mph and dont worry about getting pulled over...:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Didn't say that at all, depends on the area and how messed up either affirmative action or the entry process itself is.

Considering I've only had interactions (socially or professionally) with maybe 100 LEO's (most I know from shooting events) I don't think that's any basis for blanket statements.
This is what I inferred from you saying most cops that shouldn't be cops get weeded out in the interview process. And that affirmative action was preventing this weeding out process from being effective. This would imply to me that you are saying bad cops are getting through because of affirmative action. I don't actually think you believe that, but it is what you implied.

·
Registered
609 Posts
One of the MCs I ride with has three state troopers in it...all three are minorities...whats fun about riding with this club is we go 80-90mph and dont worry about getting pulled over...:D
Not sure why you don't worry about getting pulled over, they're not going to run your plates and just let you go by because some riders are troopers. Hopefully a good cop will come along and nail the lot of you for thinking you're above the law..

:policeman::LaughAtYou:

·
Registered
438 Posts

Here's someone who stood-up and expressed their opinion to the officer and here on the forms unlike many people who whould have been disgusted and not said a word to anyone.

Right. It should be, "Those who go around 'giving a look' and telling cops what to do should not be surprised if it makes them angry." Is that easier for you to understand?

Not being a "sheep" doesn't mean you should be a "donkey". There's more tactful ways to let others know that you disapprove of their actions other than giving them a "look" and then telling them "I don't like what you're doing". In some places that'd get you a broken nose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Right. It should be, "Those who go around 'giving a look' and telling cops what to do should not be surprised if it makes them angry." Is that easier for you to understand?

Not being a "sheep" doesn't mean you should be a "donkey". There's more tactful ways to let others know that you disapprove of their actions other than giving them a "look" and then telling them "I don't like what you're doing". In some places that'd get you a broken nose.

Because that is a just reaction right? I will reiterated over and over. What's wrong is wrong, and even if you could say the motorcyclist was wrong... do two wrongs make a right in this case? We all could do things better and be more tactful. We all don't have the ability to fine and arrest people. Yes in America we physically harm people and punish them for their opinions. Stop hinting that he is lucky and got off easy. Because if you punch me in the mouth it will prove that is is indeed safer to use a cell phone while driving.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Choose your battles wisely

I've said it before and I'll say it again,"It don't pay to get ignorant". Consider these facts:

1. Cops deal with the scum of the earth day in and day out: they get to see the effects of crime on the victims. This takes it's toll on their personality; most are very cynical and grow to disdain the civilians that they are paid (poorly) to serve. There is a high
incidence of divorce, alcoholism, and suicide among cops because of this.

2. Most places need cops so badly that the screening process doesn't eliminate all the borderline crazies, megalomaniacs, bigots, etc.; only the very worst. They try to hire the best men and pay them as well as possible; but it isn't fool proof. Here in Houston years ago, a uniformed officer abducted a woman in his patrol car and raped her in a parking garage. This of course is an extreme example.

3. All police officers (in the USA) are armed with a variety of weapons; pistols, shotguns, pepper spray, TASERS, and of course the good old nightstick. In many cases they can use any or all of these with impunity; as long as all the paperwork is clean. They can always claim that you were resisting arrest; the officers know where all the surveillance cameras are.

If a civilian has a serious (as opposed to frivolous) problem with a LEO, the wisest thing to do is to turn in a complaint; there are badge/ car numbers for a reason. If an individual officer gets a pattern of complaints, his supervisor will look into it; this is basic CYA.

It's a stupid move to confront, take to task, or otherwise run your mouth to a cop. If you pull the tail on a junk-yard dog; don't be surprised if he bites you! NO, it's not OK for a LEO to be overbearing, arrogant or to bully civilians; but the last time I checked we don't live in a perfect world. Get used to the idea!.....James.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts