Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a basket case '71 T120R I am trying to get back together. It has JRC rods and the pistons are already removed from them and new pistons came with the parts already bored to +.030. There are no bushings in the rods and the piston gudgeon pins fit the rods with a slip fit. Is it possible that these rods don't require bushings? I bought bushings but they are .8105 and the rod ends are .689

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Hi Leonardoldphart, Interesting…. I'd contact JRC directly.

Starting in 1973 the bushings were eliminated on the 750 twin rods. Seems to work out fine without them on the 750, but I'd check with JRC.

The rods show online from JRC in the photo has bushings, but they may sell others or photo is not correct.
Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot!! I wish I could have taken this thing apart then I would know. I didn't know if jrc was still in business or not, I will do some searching. It just seemed strange that the pins fit so good in the rod but no bushing. This may get to be quite a interesting project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the reply, I was about to go ahead and take the rods out and get a bushing fitted to them, I don't think I really need to go into the crankcase as the bike only has 9500 miles on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Grand Paulz, I got a response from jrc saying the same as you said. I went ahead and put pistons and cylinders on, tomorrow head and rockers, I'll have to see if I have enough parts for that project. My basket case didn't come with every thing I need so I've been scrounging and buying stuff on e-bay

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Leonard, welcome to the forum. It would help if you added your location in your profile. Have fun with the 71 model which has a few oddball differences from earlier and later bikes.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Hi Leonard, I don't feel you wasted your time at all. We all want the best the machine can be. I've not seen 650 rods before with no bushing and I've seen a lot of 650 rods. So we learned something we didn't know before.

When you do your research & have the correct information it usually leads to a successful outcome.

Going forward without having your ducks in a row almost always guarantees failure. I've seen that hundreds of times.
Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't feel like I wasted time either. If I would have assembled the engine and it was not o.k. to have no bushing and I blew the engine up I would have felt like wasted time. I am not a engine builder, just a retired old man that still enjoys riding and doing a little bit of repair on motorcycles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts