Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed them in the tailpipe end of my Norman Hyde "Togas" and the noise reduction was about 30% in my estimation while also totally eliminating the resonance in my helmet from the mufflers. They are certainly way more effective at the end of the muffler than in the end of the headers. I had to use a piece of 1.5" OD tubing or electrical conduit about an inch long as a sleeve for the baffles to fit into. This worked perfectly and provided a nice snug fit into the ends of the tailpipes. The screw through the end of the tailpipe held them in place. I was extremely pleased with the results as the resonance from the mufflers was really beginning to annoy me and I actually enjoy riding the bike now much more than without the baffles. These are the baffles that Norman Hyde should include with their mufflers because their baffles make almost no difference.

J.C. Whitney Baffles

Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
did you pack the baffles with anything? like i said in another thread, i tried putting them in my pipes and they did nothing for volume and in someway increased the pitch of the sound. kinda lost a bit of the low rumble.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On 2005-11-23 18:35, moschika wrote:
did you pack the baffles with anything? like i said in another thread, i tried putting them in my pipes and they did nothing for volume and in someway increased the pitch of the sound. kinda lost a bit of the low rumble.
Moshika,

No I didn't pack the baffles on these from JCW but I did try that on the Norman Hyde baffles and they were actually a little louder I believe. I think any baffle is just way more effective at the end of the muffler than at the end of the header in front of the muffler. However, CarlS said he noticed a significant improvement using the the JCW baffles at the ends of the headers. For me the objective was getting rid of the resonance in my helmet and reducing the volume a bit, and the JCW baffles in the ends of the tailpipes of the NH "Togas" accomplished that for me while still providing a pleasant exhaust note.

Bill

·
Registered
122 Posts
One of the things that is nice about our bikes is that we can make changes to our bikes to fit our liking. I think,( this reporters opinion), the sound of the N.H.Togas is perfect. I don't understand putting in baffles! My neighbors even said it sounds better with out the baffles,Even at 5:15A.M.! I did try them , The DEEP GROWL was lost. I do understand everyones situation is different. That's my opinion,Bill White :???:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 2005-11-23 21:43, tobyth wrote:
One of the things that is nice about our bikes is that we can make changes to our bikes to fit our liking. I think,( this reporters opinion), the sound of the N.H.Togas is perfect. I don't understand putting in baffles! My neighbors even said it sounds better with out the baffles,Even at 5:15A.M.! I did try them , The DEEP GROWL was lost. I do understand everyones situation is different. That's my opinion,Bill White :???:
I understand what you're saying but as I mentioned, I was trying to get rid of the low frequency resonance that was annoying to me and causing my ears to ring after riding. The baffles in the ends of the Togas solved that problem. I agree with you that the NH baffles do not sound good and give the mufflers a strange sound to my ears anyway. The JCW baffles really provide a rather pleasant sound, but of course that's subjective. For me I guess it's a compromise between trying to save what's left of my hearing and still have a decent exhaust note.

Bill

·
Registered
122 Posts
I do agree with on the noise in the helmet and our hearing . I wear ear plugs to help with this, both with my half helmet and full(3/4) helmet.Happy Thanksgiving. Bill White

·
Registered
108 Posts
On 2005-11-23 21:43, tobyth wrote:
I don't understand putting in baffles!
the baffles aren't really for me. i really like the sound of the pipes, with and without ear plugs. i only use plugs if i'm going on an extended ride, other then that i usually don't. but it's my wife who gets a bit annoyed by the volume, even for short-ish rides. and she doesn't like the ear plugs for a variety of reasons, some i can agree with and other i don't. :???:

i may have to try again. i was using them on a set of Brituros. similar to NH togas, but not. :wink: and this time i might try packing them to see what happens. though i don't look forwards to drilling a hole in the pipe if they do work :( but it's a compromise i'ld take to keep riding with my wife.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts