Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, whilst I adore the looks and performance of this machine,I think I'll be changing it after only two months.

The wind NOISE is unbearable.

I tried the Triumph Touring Screen.....*****.
I bought the MRA Vario screen; Whilst the buffeting is greatly reduced,the noise is rediculous.
Bought a Schuberth S1 lid,I'm told this one of the quietist lids available.......Obviously it was never tested on a Tiger.

So it's off to my supplying dealer to see what he can do for me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Charlie,

Just use ear plugs (the best performance enhancing accessory you'll ever buy).

The bike still sounds good, and you'll preserve you hearing so you'll be able to hear it long into your old age.

Give it go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The only mistake u made is that u tried bigger (and sillier looking) screens, instead of the (smaller, good looking) sports screen.

Try it, and u will enjoy ur Tiger.

If u dont believe what it brings u, try riding with no screen at all first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been using ear plugs with the Schuberth!!
As for no screen or sports screen, all posts I have read say it's worse.

I agree that it is a superb ride,but the noise is fecking redick!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,can I just reiterate, I do love this bike apart from the wind noise.
I t's performance and handling are fantastic, it's looks in my opinion,stunning(mine is an 05 in silver with panniers and Triumph top bx).

I just wish I could cut out/down the wind noise.
I did a 250mile trip yeterday which is a normal Sunday blast, when I got home I thought a decision has to be made.
Sunday and the odd weekday night is really the only time I get out on the bike.
After yesterday, it felt the fun and relaxation had gone.

I've had all sorts of bikes,BM's,Pan's,Vstroms etc.
Wind noise is normall on any motorcycle but,I've never experienced anything like this.

So come on boy's, somebody somewhere has the answer.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Charlie, I don't know what your experience is with wind noise on other bikes* (I notice a couple of your remarks are prefaced by "I'm told" or "posts I have read say"), but I can't say I find the Tiger significantly noisier than any other.

Another question that comes to mind is your height. That's a variable which can affect the amount of wind your head encounters, obviously. Any time one uses a windscreen or fairing right in the front of the console, there will be a zone where wind noise is greatest. Above or below, it will be less. Have you explored that possibility?

(* Written while you were posting your bike background. Sadly, I can't think of any definitive reason why you might be experiencing so much more noise on the Tiger than those others.)

[ This message was edited by: Diego on 2005-06-27 08:37 ]

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
On 2005-06-27 08:21, charlie_belfast wrote:
Guys,can I just reiterate, I do love this bike apart from the wind noise.
I t's performance and handling are fantastic, it's looks in my opinion,stunning(mine is an 05 in silver with panniers and Triumph top bx).

I just wish I could cut out/down the wind noise.
I did a 250mile trip yeterday which is a normal Sunday blast, when I got home I thought a decision has to be made.
Sunday and the odd weekday night is really the only time I get out on the bike.
After yesterday, it felt the fun and relaxation had gone.

I've had all sorts of bikes,BM's,Pan's,Vstroms etc.
Wind noise is normall on any motorcycle but,I've never experienced anything like this.

So come on boy's, somebody somewhere has the answer.
Maybe you should stick to a cage?

hehe

Seriously, it can't be THAT bad. I ride a Speed Triple with the small Triumph fairing and - with earplugs - it isn't bad at all. In fact, I have no problems doing extended highway miles (as long as I have the earplugs).

Dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Earplugs are mandatory on any bike of course. I do not know how anyone rides without them.

I agree the Tiger generates really dramatic buffeting with the stock screen and with anything taller that I have tried.

I strongly recommend a cutdown stock screen or the sport screen. Blissful silence and for me the wind across my chest and shoulders is fine to about 90. I have not been able to find a tall screen that works for me, I'd rather have quiet as opposed to buffeting and take the wind.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Charlie,

Check out the thread on "this will help your screen" in the Mods forum for one solution that worked for me.

:wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is why I love this site!!
What a response.
Ok, so I'm going to try this on my MRA vario
4 #10 stainless steel bolts that were 1/2 inch longer than the stock nylon bolts(4) that fasten the screen to the front fairing. I then bought 8 rubber grommets that are 1/4 thick and placed two each between the screen and fairing. This raised the screen off the fairing 1/2 inch all way around.

AND this on my stock screen

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1419

Sorry about the above listing,but how do I save a shortcut ie.web address :???:

Anyway,thanks lads for all your help.I'll keep ya's informed of progress.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I don't see how wind noise, per se, can possibly be excessive with ear plugs and a helmet. If the alternative was a Gold Wing, or some bike with a great dead area, then that could be some contrast, but compared to a V-Strom or the other bikes you mnetiond, I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Charlie,

I am 100% with you. Just bought a Schuberth S1 last week and using this, with custom made earplugs plus MRA vario screen it is still noisy. The buffeting is not a problem any more, just the noise.

I am 5'10 and have tried the no-screen and low screen options as you have; both are better than standard, but that's not saying much.

Like you I'm off to try the 1/2" space mod. On lining up the bolts to the screen I think the spherical washers used on mountain bike brakes should help.

Let us all know how you get on, it is a great bike, and repays the effort of gettng to knoe it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
get rid of the screens altogether and keep the bike !!

KK :cool:

ps at least try it without the screen as it won`t cost anything !!

[ This message was edited by: KuzzinKenny on 2005-06-27 17:12 ]

·
Registered
290 Posts
AT the Tiger Ride-In in the USA we had rider who cut his wind screen down to about 8-10" from the bottom. The blast then hits you in the chest.

But more to the point.... why throw the baby out with the bathwater?

Cee Baily has a new windscreen that caught my eye... it has side deflectors. I would think it quite simple to set up a windscreen that will do it's job and make life more pleasant. I built one for my Steamer .... perfect.

BTW... buy yourself an Arai helmet and enjoy the concert!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I went to a sports screen and am really happy but just picked up a 650 Vstrom for a second/backup bike (I wil be having to fix the Tiger after recent contact with a car bumper, see my other post) and it is demonstrably quieter (and warmer int he hot weather).

Fred

·
Registered
178 Posts
Have read all the threads about windscreens. Have tried the stock screen, cb#1 4"x4", and now using the vario. Want to try raising the screen a half inch. Fashioned some spacers today and made some longer screws. I'm assuming I need to enlarge the holes on the windscreen to get them to line up?
I'll be trying the cb screen first since I like it the least and if I mess it up it's no big deal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On 2005-06-27 13:58, greenman wrote:
Charlie,

I am 100% with you. Just bought a Schuberth S1 last week and using this, with custom made earplugs plus MRA vario screen it is still noisy. The buffeting is not a problem any more, just the noise.

I am 5'10 and have tried the no-screen and low screen options as you have; both are better than standard, but that's not saying much.

Like you I'm off to try the 1/2" space mod. On lining up the bolts to the screen I think the spherical washers used on mountain bike brakes should help.

Let us all know how you get on, it is a great bike, and repays the effort of gettng to knoe it.
Cheers greenman, thank goodness I'm not on my own.
I'll pm you with results.The forum is a superb resource for problems.
It's a pity though that ya can get replies like this;

.I don't see how wind noise, per se, can possibly be excessive with ear plugs and a helmet. If the alternative was a Gold Wing, or some bike with a great dead area, then that could be some contrast, but compared to a V-Strom or the other bikes you mnetiond, I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Paging 2ndSpace...

Met him at a shindig in WV. He had a Laminar Lip installed and tape over the triangle below the screen. Said it eliminated the problem completely and that he would be workng on a way to permanently address the tape solution.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
> It's a pity though that ya can get replies like this;

Why? If it's the person's own honest observation, what's wrong with it?

If you only want to read what you already agree with, there doesn't seem to be much point in posting to a discussion forum. Just find a radio talk show that matches your views and become a dittohead.

Sometimes it's very useful to know that not everybody gets the same results you do. It ought to make one wonder just what the difference is, because therein may lie the solution.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts