Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my aging vacuum actuated fuel tap (petcock) with one from Pingle. Their tap does away with the vacuum line from the carbs in favor of gravity feed. The problems I've had with the vacuum system are all gone! Vapor lock, going on to reserve at half a tank, reserve position not working at all, having to run in prime position just to get any fuel flow, all solved. Two thumbs up!

dc

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very interesting!
got any links to the product?

http://www.pingelonline.com/powerflo.htm
I bought the 4000 series fuel valve with the connection facing the rear of the bike. I ran the fuel line behind the frame looping around to a splitter then to the carbs and an inline fuel filter between the fuel tap and the splitter. I'll post photos soon.
The part #'s are 4211-AH for the fuel valve and A1702C-0 for the adapter plate.

dc

·
Registered
826 Posts
hmmmm, i had a look at your link, i dont see how that would look right on the triumph. i was expecting a direct replacement.
have you got some pics so i can see it on your bike?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmmm, i had a look at your link, i dont see how that would look right on the triumph. i was expecting a direct replacement.
have you got some pics so i can see it on your bike?

No, it most surely is not a direct replacement for the stock unit. I had reservations about the appearance the new fuel tap would give. The hole left by the absence of the old knob is kinda strange. You really can't see the Pingle tap unless you bend down and look inside the hole. Having said that the quality and function of the Pingle tap is far superior to the stock vacuum tap. I'd been having problems for years with the stock vacuum tap system and the Pingle has completely eliminated those problems. It will take some getting used to but it works so much better that it's worth it.

I'll post photos soon...

dc

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It's a shame that such a cool looking piece of kit has to be hidden behind the fairing. You can see even in photos that the quality of workmanship is top notch. I think my GT750 project might just need on of those.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
"86BGN This may be a really simple question, but how does reserve work?"

Just like any other fuel tap; all the way forward is off. halfway back (pointing straight out to left side of bike) is reserve, and all the way back is on.

"dphex they make a duel feed tad and adapter for t3 still does not fill in the hole though"

I went with the same fuel tap as DC, to a PINGEL single inlet/dual outlet fuel filter (only need one fule filter then) which I mounted under the rear tank bracket. I then put quick disconnects on both lines between the fuel filter and carbs. But to address your statement, I think that one would work too as long as you bought the proper base(mounting) plate (44mm I think but I'm not at home to measure; it's been posted before which is correct).

"daytonacharlie I've got that Pingle tingle!"
I had put a PINGEL on my Bonneville when I changed tanks out and had been considering doing the same to my D12. This posting by DC convinced me and I must say one of the smartest things I've done to the bike. And the dealer had just "fixed" my issue by replacing the old OEM fule tap with a new one.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The heck with Pingle, what's going on with your D12.? You had a red one and professed that was the only color for you. Now your Avatar shows a black one. Did you repaint your red one black, or buy a black D12?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The heck with Pingle, what's going on with your D12.? You had a red one and professed that was the only color for you. Now your Avatar shows a black one. Did you repaint your red one black, or buy a black D12?

Hey John,
Yes I've joined the dark side... :eek:
I still have the same D12 that I've owned for 14 years but decided I was tired of the red. Over the last 5 years I'd been picking up the body panels, tank, fender and grab rail a piece at a time, cheap on ebay. When I had all the parts I had them painted black. I still have the old body work but it's pretty tired from years of abuse. It's like having a new bike for a fraction of the cost.

Click on the Dark Side link below, cheers!

·
Registered
692 Posts
OK Charlie, thanks for the update. My SE still wearing its dark suit. I bought a new 2011 Sprint GT last week in silver for my touring when I am in Connecticut. I use my D12 for special occasions and don't like to put big miles on it because I consider it a special bike deserving special treatment.

B-T-W, the Pingle looks good, but I recently replaced the knob and must wait for it to go bad in a few more years.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Tritonwow, am I going crazy or didn't you go to Japan a while back? And do you still own that Super III because I thought you sold it? Now you are in Vine Grove, KY? I was just in Kentucky a week ago visiting some relatives. Everyone is a KY fan, not a Louisville fan anywhere. Our blood runs blue (like Everton blue to Liverpool red to you Brits).

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Tritonwow, am I going crazy or didn't you go to Japan a while back? And do you still own that Super III because I thought you sold it? Now you are in Vine Grove, KY? I was just in Kentucky a week ago visiting some relatives. Everyone is a KY fan, not a Louisville fan anywhere. Our blood runs blue (like Everton blue to Liverpool red to you Brits).
JohnD,

I just saw this post. I was stationed in Okinawa for three years but now am stationed in KY. It's great to actually stretch the legs on the bike (even though I'm only riding the TT600 at the moment). I still have some bits to work out on the Daytona 1200 (Badged as a Super IV)'s GSXR front end swap.

I'm also converting it to EFI so I'll have to get the PINGEL designed for an external fuel pump. More to follow on that.

Triton

1 - 20 of 20 Posts