Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
And you be aware, that in the UK we are constantly under attack from our own single issue SJW groups, who say that we people of pallor need to make reparations for slavery of people of colour which ended many years ago. These groups consist 100% of the same, self hating people of pallor. I suggest, in biblical terms, that they go forth and multiply, because I for one am not responsible for what my ancestors did over a century ago. If these people expect a guilt trip from me, they will wait forever. There are no ramifications here, and no conditions to improve. Neither do any of the descendants of those slaves expect any.

Also be aware that the Japanese used prisoners of war as slave labour during WWII (as did the Germans), to the point of death from starvation and overwork in dire conditions, while our captives were simply imprisoned and treated in accordance with the Geneva Convention. But likewise, I would not expect later generations of the Japanese or German people to bear responsibility.
Thank You Ripper same on this side of the pond.

As far as how things have changed you might want to search out some of Ernie Pyle's writing or Studs Terkel's stuff. A lot of that might not get published today.

More contemporary FLYBOYS or FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS both by James Bradley.

K

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Thank You Ripper same on this side of the pond.

As far as how things have changed you might want to search out some of Ernie Pyle's writing or Studs Terkel's stuff. A lot of that might not get published today.

More contemporary FLYBOYS or FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS both by James Bradley.

K
Just my take on things from here KADUTZ.

This political correctness has to be stamped out. How long before you get incarcerated for saying the wrong word, or thinking the wrong thought? @cheerfulljerry and others ask why these terms, trivial just a few years ago, cause such outrage. Well, I can tell them that the outrage is fake. Its all about control. Those SJW groups are everything that they claim to rail against, by hijacking words like 'racist' and throwing it around at every opportunity, they are the ones who spread racism - they are the racists. If no one ever mentioned it, no one would give the slightest sh!t. They are dangerous and vindictive people - say something they disagree with and they will do all they can to ruin your life - put pressure on your boss to fire you, for example. And to apologize only emboldens them to go further and serves as leverage for their cause. Freedom of speech and thought are repulsive to them.

Most people don't see how powerful language is. As Orwell said, "He who controls the language also controls the masses".

·
Registered
76 Posts
One trick ponies. I used to work a place that employed a woman specifically to set rules and make sure everyone followed them. So of course she was always changing procedures and guidelines because if people simply followed the rules she had set there wouldn't be a reason to employ her there. The social justice warriors are the exact same way. They justify their existence by finding things to be offended by so they have to constantly come up with things to be offended by because society actually is succeeding in stamping out the bad people.
There is also a built in problem with people where as the problems with anything become smaller they stick out more. The problem being that it's generally a false logic and we see it all over the place. The corona virus stuff, racism, violence, tons of stuff. People say "Well we've got this thing 99% handled so we should be able to stamp out that last 1% easily enough" when the reality is that the smaller the percentage of problem is left the more difficult it is to fix. That being why it didn't get handled way back before it wasn't the only bit of bad left.

·
Registered
354 Posts
English the language that unites and also divides us all . Mate of mine in Australia with his then girlfriend now wife . Her name Ruth but as she is swiss its pronounced " ROOT " not long after arriving she started introducing herself by her second name " ANDI " , why , ask the Australians .
I don't know what you mean I'm sure... She should be thankful her name isn't Alotta Fagina.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
If you haven't already, I think many of you would enjoy reading or viewing the work of Peter Boghossian and Jonathan Haidt in the US, and Douglas Murray and Andrew Doyle in the UK, among many others on this very topic. The tide is shifting on using grievance as currency. We may yet arrive at a much saner middle ground.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I don't know what you mean I'm sure... She should be thankful her name isn't Alotta Fagina.
How to give an SJW a fit of apoplexy - can't see these guys being on Twitter...

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
One trick ponies. I used to work a place that employed a woman specifically to set rules and make sure everyone followed them. So of course she was always changing procedures and guidelines because if people simply followed the rules she had set there wouldn't be a reason to employ her there.
Personally, the first thing I would do is to cross check those procedures with statutory employment law. Any rules outside of that I would ignore. That's usually when the trouble starts. Know your rights and stick with them.

I have a great job, but unfortunately I'm surrounded by these people and its difficult to stay out of company politics because they are so busy back stabbing each other and sabre rattling that you are bound to get caught up in the crossfire, so I just take them on, head to head when they bring their trouble to me. I had over two years of being singled out by one team leader, he always overstepped his authority and tried to make me do jobs that I should not be doing, and which not only violated the company SOP's but also the Health & Safety at Work Act. Whenever I refused he would threaten, but I noted, only when there were no witnesses. He must have wondered why I didn't ever bite - I had read and memorized the HSWA, the SOP's and my contract of employment, and for almost all of that two years, I had been recording every word he said to me. He was oblivious to this until the night that the sh1t hit the fan, which was the moment I had been waiting for. I was able to strike a deal with the corrupt manager that he tried to bring in to discipline me, which was, either move him to another section or I take the CD I had been compiling to the HR department. Later that year he took voluntary redundancy and moved to Spain.

I'm doing okay there now, and the manager treats me very differently than he used to. He's got the message that I don't care how corrupt he is as long as he leaves me alone because he knows that I will fight back if he doesn't. These people are just plain bullies and will resort to any tactic, be it taking offense at nothing or fake accusations to get their own way. Like SJW's, once you've beaten them they don't come back, they prefer easier targets. So now, my tactics are - play strictly by the rules, do nothing outside of those rules, and give enemies as much rope as they want and let them hang themselves.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Just got back from my ride, amazing day in SoCal with smooth roads and little traffic. I see the discussion continues.
The reason that this discussion continues is because a lot of us normal people out there are getting increasingly pissed off about having PC rammed down our throats on a daily basis and it seems to be getting worse. I realise that there are a whole lot of people around the world who genuinely do have an axe to grind because of what has happened to their fellow countrymen in years gone by but this recent PC phenomena is a real issue.

This new wave of PC is doing these genuine people who were affected by slavery or conflicts no favours at all it's just making things worse for them, it's creating more resentment.

Pride marches, I'm a heterosexual male, we don't have heterosexual marches do we? The Mobo awards, if you are unfamiliar about what these are then google it, we don't have Mowo awards. We have a singer in the UK called Sam Smith, he recently decided that he wanted to be 'gender neutral' so the organizers of the Brit awards (British music awards) we're considering abolishing the 'male' and 'female' prize category's to accomodate him/her and his/her ilk, although at the moment I think they're being kept in place so Sam Smith has pretty much taken himself/herself out of the running for an award, lol.

I work with a lot of people from different parts of the EU, I have no problem with this. We have three Romanian chaps in the department I work in, two of which don't speak much English but we still muck around and take the piss out of each other, a few days back one of them was trying to teach me how to call him a c**t in Romanian, it's something like 'ma pizda', this is called BANTER there is no malicious intent behind it whatsoever. I'm getting on in years and have gone a bit thin in the hair department, I get called an 'old bald c**t', amongst other things, on a daily basis. I'm not going to go crying to my boss every time because it's just BANTER. Besides my boss is Lithuanian, he's a great bloke, last year he got his British residency so for a while we renamed him 'Johnny English' he gets the banter thing.

Perhaps banter is just an British phenomena, I don't know. It does seem to me that the Brits don't have a problem with piss taking but other nations do.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
While I'm on the subject. The other night I watched an interview that was being conducted by Piers Morgan, love him or hate him is another discussion, but anyhow he was interviewing this teenage goon who said that when a child is born (not Johnny Mathis) the child should not be assigned a gender, the child should be allowed to decide it's own gender when it is old enough to do so, well that's just fecking bullsh1t. Nature has already made that decision for the child my friend.

This is just another example of what is getting on us normal peoples t1ts these days.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
You've got me started now! A couple of months back before this 'pandemic' started a few of us were in our works wash room at the end of the day cleaning up, when the new apprentice walked in I squirted some hand sanitiser at him which got in his hair, without beating around the bush this sanitizer looks very similar to jizz. Most of us saw the funny side had a laugh then went home. The next morning, feck me, all hell broke out I was taken in to the main office and given a lecture on how we are not allowed to 'bully' apprentices and basically threatened with my job because this little sh1t had reported me for bullying him.

When I started my work life I was waterboarded, yes waterboarded by my two bosses (different company) then tied to the back of the companies pick up truck with a ratchet strap and driven quite quickly around the industrial estate where we were situated to 'dry out'.

The boss who gave me the striping down for 'bullying' the apprentice, not the Lithuanian, told me a story that when he was an apprentice he was locked inside of a shipping container for three hours and thought he was going to be in there until the following morning. So I said whats the fecking difference and all he said is that times have changed and we are not allowed to do that sort of thing anymore.

We are now breeding a bunch of, sorry to say it, but wussies. In my mind you have to take a bit of sh1t from your work mates when you are younger so as to gain some respect in the workplace.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Perhaps banter is just an British phenomena, I don't know. It does seem to me that the Brits don't have a problem with piss taking but other nations do.
I think you're trying to make yourselves something special, Brits certainly dont have a monopoly on banter, thats almost laughable.
I think it has more to do with what words are acceptable in different places/cultures/countries. You refer to using the word c**t, over here in the US that word would probably get you fired from a lot of jobs if said causally to a lot of people, especially if you said it to a woman, and I think thats pretty common knowledge here, has nothing to do with being PC.
I get that you use different words over there then we do, thats one of the things that I first noticed on this site, having people from all over the world one has to often times "translate" meanings from words that we have a predetermined definition of, or a phrase that we've never heard before.
My wife is half Japanese and growing up here in the US living in a rural area(seams that the more rural the more narrow minded people are) she did not have a very good experience growing up, I would never call her a Jap, seams wrong to me and I know it does to her, this isnt some fake feeling she has, its genuine based on how she heard it used over her lifetime. But by the same token I know that you did not use it to insult the Japanese culture, you were referring to a motorcycle from Japan, nothing to do with being or not being PC but we do have to understand that just because the word we chose seams innocent to us doesn't mean it is to others. I think there are some on here that are mixing up PC with words that are used/excepted in different places, hence my example of the word c**t, call that to a certain HD rider(trying to tie this in to the initial thread where this all started) and you've just picked a fight that maybe you didn't want to.
We have a president, for better or worse, who was elected in part because people are sick of the PC, he doesn't exercise much restraint in his choice of words, I think some found that refreshing as opposed to the standard politician who's afraid of offending someone for fear of loosing that vote. I'm not sure how some feel now but.......here we are!
Anyhow, just my take on the whole thing

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I think you're trying to make yourselves something special, Brits certainly dont have a monopoly on banter, thats almost laughable.
This why I said I didn't know if banter was just a British thing or not, I've never worked in an American workplace so I wouldn't know.

As far as the word c**t goes, perhaps that doesn't translate well across the water but you seem to think that I go around calling people that word with no regards at all, this is not the case I'm merely using it in a work setting between a bunch of blokes who have known each other and worked together for quite a few years and we all realise there is NO malicious intent behind it. My wife hates the 'c' word as many do which I completely understand so therefore I would not use it in front of someone who I didn't know or someone that I know dislikes the word.

It seems that this could be another post that is being taken out of context, all I'm trying to do is find examples of things that have been perfectly acceptable up until recently and explain that there is nothing wrong with using certain 'language' or 'behaviors' as long as the person that is doing it judges the situation correctly.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I think it has more to do with what words are acceptable in different places/cultures/countries. You refer to using the word c**t, over here in the US that word would probably get you fired from a lot of jobs if said causally to a lot of people,
That word is part of a suite which is defined as foul language and its the same here in the UK - you will definitely be fired for saying it, and it is never, ever used in public. However, that and the other foul words are used all the time in an all male working environment, it turns up in jokes that we couldn't, and should not, tell outside of that environment. Again, its a matter of context, ie the situation you are in at any given time.

I must say though, until I read the original thread (now locked), I was not even aware that the shortening of the word Japanese was offensive in any country, and I don't think Jerry was either. Its a completely normal word in the UK which carries no offence value whatsoever, either way.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
That word is part of a suite which is defined as foul language and its the same here in the UK - you will definitely be fired for saying it, and it is never, ever used in public. However, that and the other foul words are used all the time in an all male working environment, it turns up in jokes that we couldn't, and should not, tell outside of that environment. Again, its a matter of context, ie the situation you are in at any given time.

I must say though, until I read the original thread (now locked), I was not even aware that the shortening of the word Japanese was offensive in any country, and I don't think Jerry was either. Its a completely normal word in the UK which carries no offence value whatsoever, either way.
It WAS derogatory in the US, years ago, when referring to Japanese people.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
I won't post the actual video here, because I am sure the language will land me in hot water... But go to YouTube and bring up the video from George Carlin.

Title is "George Carlin - Euphemisms & political correctness"

41 - 60 of 288 Posts