Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 288 Posts

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
And when I have been offended, I tune out...

I was a long time listener to Howard Stern back on FM radio... And I used to be amazed at the people trying to get him off the air.

I could absolutely understand why some people hated what he said, or were offended by it, etc... So change the channel.

To think that because I don't like something, that YOU shouldn't be allowed to say it? That to me would be so arrogant... that my desire to not hear something, should overshadow someone else's right to say it... I dunno, I would never take that route. If I am that offended, I change the channel and get on with my life... But some people made it a crusade to get him off the air, because it wasn't their brand of humor... SMH

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks to all for their varied POVs. This Triumph board has very intelligent/thoughtful folks, I've learned a lot from you all. We all have different pain points, just hoped to better understand one another. It's sunny and 75 degrees, time ti ride!

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Knowing you meant no disrespect and hoping to move on, but try to understand the sensitivity of using the word "J*P", this word is extremely offensive in America (to both Japanese and non-Japanese). There is a generation of Japanese/Japanese Americans that lived thru the WW2 US interment camps (rights denied, property seized, lives and culture lost). I have friends/their families that are still coming to terms with this legacy (what does it mean to be "American" and can we still celebrate our diversity),

Here's a suggestion: If you MUST use three letters referring to the Japanese, "JPN" would be a much better choice. Take care and ride safe.
As far as interments there were German and Italian internment camps also. I believe Joe DiMaggio's fathers fishing boat(s) was/were confiscated. Everything you said above applies to them also. Then you also had the 442nd Nisei Regiment one of the toughest in the war. There may still be some bad feelings on this side also (My Father was a WWII casualty) but you have to move on.

I really get tired of groups saying how they were mistreated 80/100/200 years ago.

K ( A Grey-bearded Fat Yank)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Every country in the world is racist against their neighbours, its something that is hard-wired into our genes, going back to not trusting anyone outside the family group. But now its so wrong to say or do anything racist in the west. We are apologising to the rest of the world for our old empires etc or as in the case of the USA, slavery and later the KKK. My grandparents or indeed my parents generations had no problem with how things were then, but we live in a different society and have to abide by rules made by the looney left at times, Russia does not play by the same rules, gays are still outlawed and they hate foreigners. As do some of the Islamist countries. Or even how your president is about China at the minute. What he said to the Chinese American reporter was totally wrong, that was racism!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
English the language that unites and also divides us all . Mate of mine in Australia with his then girlfriend now wife . Her name Ruth but as she is swiss its pronounced " ROOT " not long after arriving she started introducing herself by her second name " ANDI " , why , ask the Australians .

·
Registered
82 Posts
As far as interments there were German and Italian internment camps also. I believe Joe DiMaggio's fathers fishing boat(s) was/were confiscated. Everything you said above applies to them also. Then you also had the 442nd Nisei Regiment one of the toughest in the war. There may still be some bad feelings on this side also (My Father was a WWII casualty) but you have to move on.

I really get tired of groups saying how they were mistreated 80/100/200 years ago.

K ( A Grey-bearded Fat Yank)
Just be aware, unfortunately, the ramifications of certain legacies continues even 80/100/200 years later (i.e. slavery), we're still dealing with it, but we can also participate to help improve the condition (for everyone).

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
There is a difference between being racial, and being racist.

There are lots of true, accurate and not in any way negative or derogatory statements, that deal with race. Just as they could deal with gender, country, religion, hair color, or any other human attribute.

Just because something deals with race, doesn't make it racist.

Racism is a mindset, an ideology that one race is superior to another...

I haven't seen anything in this forum to date, that would remotely qualify as that.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Just be aware, unfortunately, the ramifications of certain legacies continues even 80/100/200 years later (i.e. slavery), we're still dealing with it, but we can also participate to help improve the condition (for everyone).
The way I see it, is that nobody alive today was ever a slave in the US, nor was anyone a slave owner in the US... I can't hold you accountable for things that ended a century before you were even born. That's not fair to you...

These things stay alive because some people profit from keeping it alive. Anyone think that Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton want to give up 7 figure salaries and private jets, book deals, etc... and go get real jobs? Hell no. lol

Racism exists, of course, but more often than not, the person yelling it is either on the losing end of a conflict or argument and wants to play that card to shut you down, or they are making money off it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just be aware, unfortunately, the ramifications of certain legacies continues even 80/100/200 years
This is the main reason that I wanted out of the EU, Europe under one flag was Hitler's dream. Maybe I'm stuck in my ways and living in the past but WW2 only ended 75 years ago, there are still people alive out there including my dear old mum who remember the hurt and anguish that went on during the conflict. Maybe in another 50 or so years when these poor old buggers have all passed then give a united Europe a go.

·
Driftless Admin
11,674 Posts
If you guys can figure out the source of racism and the dynamics of a unified Europe without politics and politicians, god bless you all. Me, I'm keeping my head low and heading home from work early. I suspect there may even be an earlier-than-usual drink in my future :D

Keep on keeping on, men. USA guys, enjoy the long weekend. The rest of you, take Monday off too, you deserve it.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Everybody has had a beef with someone. I try to look forward. Can't change the past... Can't be expected to right wrongs or pay the price for people that died a century, or more ago, did before I was born...

I don't mind offensive speech. If it's just malicious, then the person is being an a$$... But me taking offense to something, that's MY problem, not yours... If you sit there calling me names and trying to offend me, then to me it's really not about what you say... it's about the fact that your intent is to insult me, and that is what I will take issue with, if anything...

But you saying something that doesn't intend that... but for whatever reason, strikes a nerve with me or offends me? That's not your problem. It's mine. As a rational adult I have to accept that people are gonna say things that I don't like, or that I disagree with. That's life. I have no expectation that people should tip toe around me and not be themselves, or not speak their minds for fear that I will clutch my pearls and claim offense. So what if I am offended? I need to sack up and accept it. My desire, and that's all it is, a desire and not a right, doesn't trump your right to speak your mind.

Free Speech, in the US at least, isn't in place to protect popular speech. Quite the contrary.

Popular speech needs no protecting, by virtue of it being popular and shared by the majority. Such speech would never really beunder attack from the majority...

Free Speech is there to protect UNpopular speech, because that is by definition the only speech that would ever need protecting.

So many people get this point wrong, and it's a very crucial point in the fabric of our laws, and our culture. There are limits on how you can USE that speech, and when it infringes on the right of another, there can be consequences... Slander. Libel.

But hurting someone's feelings? Saying something that they don't like, or don't want to hear? Hell nah. I think we have pandered to much to the participation trophy generation, where feelings and intentions carry far more weight than results, or what's right. When you do that, the free exchange of ideas is gone. Each has chosen their ideological tribe, and whoever has the biggest stick, or the most influence, simply silences the other...

And that's not good for either side, in the end...

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I think people have been offended by all sorts of stuff over the years, in the real world and on the internet, and whether intended or not.

But what I don't get is the modern phenomenon of being offended or outraged on behalf of another person or group of people, often without even knowing whether that group is personally offended or not. I guess a lot of people have nothing better to do.
I am not easily offended, the exceptions being arrogance and ignorance, of which there's more than enough to go around, thank you, however I do think social media and the compulsion people have to share every bit of minutiae in their lives can often be irritating- my family members are constantly engrossed in their devices- perhaps so they don't have to talk to me- therefore I stay away from it, which the exception being this august group at TRAT...

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
I am not easily offended, the exceptions being arrogance and ignorance, of which there's more than enough to go around, thank you, however I do think social media and the compulsion people have to share every bit of minutiae in their lives can often be irritating- my family members are constantly engrossed in their devices- perhaps so they don't have to talk to me- therefore I stay away from it, which the exception being this august group at TRAT...
These days, a lot of people have not only more free time on their hands to sit online, but a lot more stress and frustration, coupled with boredom. That's a recipe for disaster... lol

·
Registered
603 Posts
My personal philosophy is that any subject, attitude, idea, etc. is on a pendulum. Using racism as an example, it seems that at one time you could say just about anything about a minority and get away with it. Now you can't say anything the least bit critical about another race (country or whatever) without being vilified. The pendulum is never in the middle where something can be said and others actually think about what has been said and judge the statement on its own merit as to whether it's good or bad.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
And you be aware, that in the UK we are constantly under attack from our own single issue SJW groups, who say that we people of pallor need to make reparations for slavery of people of colour which ended many years ago. These groups consist 100% of the same, self hating people of pallor. I suggest, in biblical terms, that they go forth and multiply, because I for one am not responsible for what my ancestors did over a century ago. If these people expect a guilt trip from me, they will wait forever. There are no ramifications here, and no conditions to improve. Neither do any of the descendants of those slaves expect any.

Also be aware that the Japanese used prisoners of war as slave labour during WWII (as did the Germans), to the point of death from starvation and overwork in dire conditions, while our captives were simply imprisoned and treated in accordance with the Geneva Convention. But likewise, I would not expect later generations of the Japanese or German people to bear responsibility.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
My personal philosophy is that any subject, attitude, idea, etc. is on a pendulum. Using racism as an example, it seems that at one time you could say just about anything about a minority and get away with it. Now you can't say anything the least bit critical about another race (country or whatever) without being vilified. The pendulum is never in the middle where something can be said and others actually think about what has been said and judge the statement on its own merit as to whether it's good or bad.
Ahem... I do. LOL

·
Registered
82 Posts
And you be aware, that in the UK we are constantly under attack from our own single issue SJW groups, who say that we people of pallor need to make reparations for slavery of people of colour which ended many years ago. These groups consist 100% of the same, self hating people of pallor. I suggest, in biblical terms, that they go forth and multiply, because I for one am not responsible for what my ancestors did over a century ago. If these people expect a guilt trip from me, they will wait forever. There are no ramifications here, and no conditions to improve. Neither do any of the descendants of those slaves expect any.

Also be aware that the Japanese used prisoners of war as slave labour during WWII (as did the Germans), to the point of death from starvation and overwork in dire conditions, while our captives were simply imprisoned and treated in accordance with the Geneva Convention. But likewise, I would not expect later generations of the Japanese or German people to bear responsibility.
Just got back from my ride, amazing day in SoCal with smooth roads and little traffic. I see the discussion continues.
Yes Ripper, I am aware of the numerous historic and continuing atrocities that man has been guilty of. History has legacy and is often repeated, I would hope our responsibility is to learn from it and not repeat the mistakes; that will improve the condition. Folks wearing a white hood and swastikas masks are showing up in some of our local stores....it's freedom of speech, a cherished American value.
It was just my hope we can be open to understand the variety of POVs and perhaps put one in another's shoes. As I said before, this forum has some very intelligent, thoughtful people, with a wide range age/background/experiences; we can acknowledge our differences and better yet, share our common joy. Stay well and ride fast!

21 - 40 of 288 Posts