Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quote,
Its the internet we should all be used to it by now ........

Reply,
I'm not so sure, I've noticed over the last 15 or so years people seem to be finding offence in a lot of things in the real world too. It wasn't that many years ago that Benny Hill was being chased around by scantily clad ladies on prime time TV, they can't get away with that sort of thing these days. Christ, when I was a teen that seemed like heaven to me:rolleyes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think people have been offended by all sorts of stuff over the years, in the real world and on the internet, and whether intended or not.

But what I don't get is the modern phenomenon of being offended or outraged on behalf of another person or group of people, often without even knowing whether that group is personally offended or not. I guess a lot of people have nothing better to do.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think people have been offended by all sorts of stuff over the years, in the real world and on the internet, and whether intended or not.

But what I don't get is the modern phenomenon of being offended or outraged on behalf of another person or group of people, often without even knowing whether that group is personally offended or not. I guess a lot of people have nothing better to do.
Don't get me wrong sh1t gets to me sometimes, I'm not made of stone.
I was brought up in a time when there was blatant racism and sexism going on, a lot of it on the TV during the 70's and 80's, my childhood years really. Back then it was the norm, I'm not condoning it, it's just that it was there and nobody really gave it a second thought.

It is a tetchy subject I know but I do feel that it's got well out of hand over the last few years and terms and phrases that seemed to be perfectly acceptable only a few years back are now scorned at.
I have no interest in offending anyone purposely but it's got so bloody difficult these days to figure out what offends who you can't even fart without someone jumping on your case nowadays.

·
Registered
71 Posts
To borrow an idea, becoming used to a situation doesn't make the situation right. People love to bring up that being used to racism, sexism, classism and the like didn't make them right. Boggles the mind why those same people insist that hyper sensitivity being normal now is the right way for things to go forward. It's important for everyone on the planet to remember that they can be wrong just as easily as the people they're upset with.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
I rarely get offended. Maybe that's my problem. I don't offend easily so perhaps it keeps me from relating to those that do.

I get irritated and annoyed quite easily. lol

But in today's world... and I say world, not this forum... Being offended seems like a job, or a lifestyle choice... Can't turn on the TV without somebody, somewhere being offended by something and demanding someone's head on a platter... I seem to recall we have the right to Free Speech. I don't recall seeing a right to not be offended. I looked!

I always remember this quote...

“Some people love to feel offended because it makes them feel important. When your only tool is a hammer, suddenly every problem starts to look like a nail. And when the only time you feel relevant is when you claim to be offended, suddenly everything looks offensive.” ― Oliver Markus Malloy, Inside The Mind of an Introvert

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Bill Maher and Ricky Gervais have hours and hours of footage on this very topic... I think that we as a species take ourselves way too seriously...

I think about a movie like Blazing Saddles... a classic comedy that made FUN of racism... it pointed out the stupidity and futility of being a racist... it illustrated absurdity by being absurd...

Mel Brookes has said many times, that that movie could never be made in today's climate... And that's a shame, because it was brilliant.

Jerry Seinfeld, one of the "cleanest" comedians out there in his day... says he won't do college campuses because of the intolerance and politically correct culture... That says a lot...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote,
Its the internet we should all be used to it by now ........

Reply,
I'm not so sure, I've noticed over the last 15 or so years people seem to be finding offence in a lot of things in the real world too. It wasn't that many years ago that Benny Hill was being chased around by scantily clad ladies on prime time TV, they can't get away with that sort of thing these days. Christ, when I was a teen that seemed like heaven to me:rolleyes:
Knowing you meant no disrespect and hoping to move on, but try to understand the sensitivity of using the word "J*P", this word is extremely offensive in America (to both Japanese and non-Japanese). There is a generation of Japanese/Japanese Americans that lived thru the WW2 US interment camps (rights denied, property seized, lives and culture lost). I have friends/their families that are still coming to terms with this legacy (what does it mean to be "American" and can we still celebrate our diversity),

Here's a suggestion: If you MUST use three letters referring to the Japanese, "JPN" would be a much better choice. Take care and ride safe.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Knowing you meant no disrespect and hoping to move on, but try to understand the sensitivity of using the word "J*P", this word is extremely offensive in America (to both Japanese and non-Japanese). There is a generation of Japanese/Japanese Americans that lived thru the WW2 US interment camps (rights denied, property seized, lives and culture lost). I have friends/their families that are still coming to terms with this legacy (what does it mean to be "American" and can we still celebrate our diversity),

Here's a suggestion: If you MUST use three letters referring to the Japanese, "JPN" would be a much better choice. Take care and ride safe.
If you are talking about or referring to PEOPLE, I can agree and concede that point...

He wasn't. He was talking about BIKES, that come from Japan... and praising their quality and superior engineering in the process, ironically... but I don't think that this is what this thread is for... he means more in the broad societal sense...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
To borrow an idea, becoming used to a situation doesn't make the situation right. People love to bring up that being used to racism, sexism, classism and the like didn't make them right. Boggles the mind why those same people insist that hyper sensitivity being normal now is the right way for things to go forward. It's important for everyone on the planet to remember that they can be wrong just as easily as the people they're upset with.
This is true, I'm not saying the stuff that was going on around me in my younger years was right and looking back at it now it a lot of it was pretty extreme, it's just that nobody batted an eye lid at it. But now it's gone from one extreme to the other, this isn't a dig at this forum by the way, you hear about how PC's gone mad everywhere.
And I agree people have got to learn not to be so bloody self righteous nowadays, everyone's different.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Lots of good stuff on this from the late George Carlin as well, but he tends to use salty language and so I won't post those here, but we all know how to use Youtube... haha

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

That's a fair point, I wasn't aware that the shortened version of the word Japan isn't used in the US to describe said motorcycles, my apologies for that.

I do understand were you are coming from with regards to the 2nd world war, I had family fight, die and held prisoner during the conflict which I will admit does leave a bitter taste in my mouth with regards to Germany, but then the world has moved on from that and as we are always being told, over here anyway, forgive and forget.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
That's a fair point, I wasn't aware that the shortened version of the word Japan isn't used in the US to describe said motorcycles, my apologies for that.

I do understand were you are coming from with regards to the 2nd world war, I had family fight, die and held prisoner during the conflict which I will admit does leave a bitter taste in my mouth with regards to Germany, but then the world has moved on from that and as we are always being told, over here anyway, forgive and forget.
People do use the term here frequently when referring to bikes. Not people. People would seem out of place... but when talking to someone about bikes it's common to hear it. There is nothing derogatory about it because you are referring to a bike and it's country of origin... Not a people.

Same word, but completely different context and therefore meaning.

·
Registered
74 Posts
One more note, Vincent Chin (a Chinese-American) was murdered in 1982 in Detroit. He was mistaken by his two killers of being Japanese, with the prevailing American auto industry's sentiment blaming the Japanese Car manufacturers for the demise of the domestic US industry. His killers did not serve anytime for the murder.

·
Driftless Admin
11,655 Posts
I re-watched/binged the show 30 Rock recently. Which I highly recommend doing. But lord, even in that mainstream show that is fairly recent there are so many racial and gay jokes that just would never air anymore. Heck, there are at least three black-face scenes in the series. That certainly doesn't fly anymore. Things are changing fast, it's hard to keep up with it.

I'm really not bothered by the changes personally, maybe it is even societal growth. But I do think it's a damn shame when things said and done 10 years ago are judged by current standards. It's a wonder there are any working comedians anymore.

What I wish is that people could be offended but not take it so damn seriously. Sure, disagree with an off-colored joke. Wish it hadn't been said. But it's not like anyone has been injured, no one is getting killed. If you think someone is offensive, well there you are, there's plenty of that around. Roll with it or walk away. Why is that so hard?

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
One more note, Vincent Chin (a Chinese-American) was murdered in 1982 in Detroit. He was mistaken by his two killers of being Japanese, with the prevailing American auto industry's sentiment blaming the Japanese Car manufacturers for the demise of the domestic US industry. His killers did not serve anytime for the murder.
No race has a monopoly on being oppressed, or unjustly harmed.... It's the ugly side of human history...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I rarely get offended. Maybe that's my problem. I don't offend easily so perhaps it keeps me from relating to those that do.

I get irritated and annoyed quite easily. lol
Yeah I've noticed that as I've got older I tend to get irritated and annoyed more easily, I'm just turning into a cantankerous old fool, but I like it that way.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
I re-watched/binged the show 30 Rock recently. Which I highly recommend doing. But lord, even in that mainstream show that is fairly recent there are so many racial and gay jokes that just would never air anymore. Heck, there are at least three black-face scenes in the series. That certainly doesn't fly anymore. Things are changing fast, it's hard to keep up with it.

I'm really not bothered by the changes personally, maybe it is even societal growth. But I do think it's a damn shame when things said and done 10 years ago are judged by current standards. It's a wonder there are any working comedians anymore.

What I wish is that people could be offended but not take it so damn seriously. Sure, disagree with an off-colored joke. Wish it hadn't been said. But it's not like anyone has been injured, no one is getting killed. If you think someone is offensive, well there you are, there's plenty of that around. Roll with it or walk away. Why is that so hard?
Dude, I think that Friends recently came under fire for the same thing. Friends?? That was one of the tamest sitcoms of it's day, right there with Seinfeld... I mean... Family Guy, I can see(one of my fav shows) offending people... but Friends? haha

1 - 20 of 264 Posts