Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
My name is Marc and I'm a bikeaholic.
It started innocently enough back in that long hot English summer of '76. My adolescent nose pressed to the window of H&L's Stroud, lusting after a black US spec Bonnie with a ludicrously small tank and daft handlebars.
Having survived the last year of unrestricted mopeds in the Uk, I moved on to the hard stuff. Yes, you've guessed it! Late '70s Japanese 250s ....with no training. The bravery of my examiner, as he stepped off the curb in front of me to test my emergency stop that wet afternoon in April '80, will go with me to my grave.
A Yam XS750 began a downward spiral that couldn't be halted despite an intervention by a well-meaning '68 650 Triumph lent to me in Texas during Instrument Flying Training.
I tried. Honestly, I really tried to stay away from boxy Germans with meistershafts. I went Aprilia....that's Italian right? Wrong; Japanese electrics, Austrian engine and it all worked.Oh how my mates with classic Ducatis and Guzzis laughed from the back of their recovery vans!
It was just once. Just a quick test ride. Just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Couldn't hurt, just once. But man, the comfort. The paralever suspension. The ABS, the fairing. No wind blast. No earplugs.

And like that fifteen years pass in blur. Biking yes, but in a detached haze.
Ironically, it was BMW themselves who saved me. The R NineT at the NEC woke me from my stupor. I was tempted. I was reminded. I wasn't sold. Something wasn't right.

Last year my salvation appeared. May 14th I took delivery.

Ok, it's not black it's Silver Ice. It does have a ludicrously small tank and daft handlebars. 500 miles done. Oil change tomorrow.
I am 17 again.

My name is Marc and I am a Biker!

·
Administrator
19,458 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your introduction is a wonderful read! Thank you for that. The new Thruxton is a beautiful machine! I hope you enjoy it for many, many years. Particularly since it took you forty years to get it!

The Water Cooled Twins Talk forum is where you can connect with other new Bonneville riders. Introduce yourself there, post photos of your new Thruxton, and join the banter.

http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I look forward to becoming an active member of the water cooled twin site and the wider Triumph community in due course.

Many thanks

S F AV8TOR.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I still remember taking my test in 1968, a lot easier back then, had a Francis Barnett 250.

Examiner said drive up, the road 100 yards, turn right, turn left, turn left, turn left, and on the way back I will step, out from between the parked cars and you must come to a stop without stalling the engine.

Examiner jumped out arm outstretched, then said go back to the test centre and wait for him.

At the test centre you were shown random road signs from a flip folder, recognise about a dozen signs, that was it a Pass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts