Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 07 ST1050 from new for 5 years now and I'm thinking about a new bike, it should be . . .

Lighter or the same weight as the ST
Same or more power
Same seat height or lower
About the same riding position
Preferably V-twin or triple

I'm struggling to find anything out there that floats my boat - any suggestions?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been dealing with the same issue. I've decided just to ride the Sprint till it will no longer go. :)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
IMO, the Tuono V4 is nothing at all like the Sprint! It's got no oomph below about 7k on the tach, and it's got a weird split personality riding position that requires racing/yoga experience for the lower body and feels like a dirt bike from the waist up. It is lighter, though, I'll give it that...

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
896 Posts
I agree that like the others, I`ll probably keep my sprint till it dies.
however I would be interested in the XC version of the explorer when it comes out next year, primarily because of the more upright position would suit my recent interest in exploring the many alpine passes of Europe

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought about the Tuono V4 - but thought it might be a bit mental for me
Sorry all you explorer/adventurer/dakkar types - I just don't like the look of those pretendy (or actual) off-roady lookalikes
Speed Triple has a very wide seat so makes it taller . . .

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are some amazing bikes out there, but for your wants/needs - you aren't gonna beat the sprint.

You could try the Suzuki SV1000 - but, you'd be looking at an '03 plate or similar so you'd be stepping backwards in my eyes. Plus, the SV takes a lot to get the potential out of it - upgrading suspension and exhausts e.t.c.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had an SV1000 as a loaner once - looked nice, no soul or sparkle
Last two bikes were Honda Firestorm Vtwin and Aprilia Falco Vtwin - the Sprint is better than both

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same problem. I ended up deciding on a BMW K1300S. Haven't bought one yet, still need to sell my Sprint, but the decision is made. Probably will be buying in a month or two. Too busy working 80 hour weeks at the moment.

I know the K1300S isn't a twin or a triple, but it is about the same weight as a Sprint, has a lot more power, similar riding position(a little sportier, can be fixed with bars). And it has shaft drive. It is expensive, but if you buy a lightly used one, you can save $5000+ dollars.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Do the following mods as I have just completed:
air box -filter screen, trim snorkel, S3 snorkels, velocity stacks.
throttle bodies - remove cast step, trim & streamline butterfly shaft & butterflies
port match headers
exhaust (boat anchor mod, TOR or sport pipe)
mild head work - porting and valve seat grind
custom dyno tune

The bike is transformed. More than enough power everywhere and too much forme now. Acceleration at full throttle can best be described as violent - so much torque.

Mine is yet to be dynoed and I will post the results but what an amazing difference.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Last two bikes were Honda Firestorm Vtwin and Aprilia Falco Vtwin - the Sprint is better than both
As much as I like the Sprint, there is something about the Falco that gives it a slight edge in my humble opinion.
Could be it's handling and of course the sound of that Rotax V-twin ... Bellissima :D

SPORT touring spoken here ... Tom

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I've had my 07 ST1050 from new for 5 years now and I'm thinking about a new bike, it should be . . .

Lighter or the same weight as the ST
Same or more power
Same seat height or lower
About the same riding position
Preferably V-twin or triple

I'm struggling to find anything out there that floats my boat - any suggestions?
Sounds like a Ducati to me.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like a Ducati to me.
:)
A Ducati what?
The sports bikes are proper bum up head down wrist wrenching rides
The Multistrada hit every branch falling down the ugly tree and I get a nose bleed up there on that seat
The Monsters have very little touring in them
That leave the Diavblo thingy - and that's probably just a smidge heavier than the ST

·
Premium Member
24,301 Posts
A Ducati what?
The Multistrada hit every branch falling down the ugly tree and I get a nose bleed up there on that seat
That leave the Diavblo thingy - and that's probably just a smidge heavier than the ST
Ducati Diavel weighs 210kgs dry or 463lbs

according to this:

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ducati_diavel_2012.php

cheers
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
I test rode a Diavel for about an hour during an event put on by Cycle World Magazine. What an amazing bike! I had a blast riding it! It handles amazing for a "cruiser", has awesome brakes and the V-Twin is a beast!
It should be on your list of bikes to check out! :cool:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
A Ducati what?
I was thinking of one of the Streetfighters or a Monster based on your listed criterion.

If touring is part of the mix, unless you want an older bike, it seems like you already have the best set-up in the Sprint. Or, as been mentioned, the Ninja 1000. I cannot think of a touring setup that is a twin or triple other than what you have, or an older Tuono or something like that. There is also the newer Honda VFR, but it's heavier and expensive.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts