Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Looks great :)

The centre pipe seems quite low, but should be ok unless going down kerbs or some such?

Has no one else thought about copying that 'swivel across and join' technique that custom builder used to make a 3-1 out of some stock headers?

·
Registered
792 Posts
That looks really nice 303 and yes mike well spotted on the low centre pipe am sure it should be ok but wonder if a small fairing might be fitted to hide it just a thought 303

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Fill it with water and freeze it. Icing it up a few times might force the dent out.
Ya reckon that would actually work? I used the same sort of method but with salt to bend a copper fuel line. It was sort of successful, but it had to be crimped very tight.

I guess you'd have to weld both ends shut.

I was thinking more along the lines of adding a heat shield that covered the dent because it also has bad scratches too. Plus I don't really have the money to start another project at the mo :(.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Ya reckon that would actually work? I used the same sort of method but with salt to bend a copper fuel line. It was sort of successful, but it had to be crimped very tight.

I guess you'd have to weld both ends shut.

I was thinking more along the lines of adding a heat shield that covered the dent because it also has bad scratches too. Plus I don't really have the money to start another project at the mo :(.
Nope, you don't have to weld anything closed. Water expands when it freezes. It might take a few times to do it, but it works.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
It's hard to see from the photos, but I actually have a good amount of clearance under it. About 4.5", which is fine because the suspension doesn't travel that much anyway. Like I said, I'm not taking this thing off road or jumping curbs haha. It rolls off the bike lift without a scrape! Clearance around the pan and the water pipe is perfect :), just noticed it today. Doesn't touch anywhere

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Yeah, looked a bit less than that. That shouldn't be a problem on the road.

Out of curiosity, just measured mine - just under 5". (A combination of the Thunderbike headers and shorter forks.)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'll check mine later, my eyeball measuring tape might have been over zealous haha.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Who cares, it looks sh.it hot :thumb Are you going to get them polished? That would look amazing (in my opinion).

And of course we're all waiting eagerly for a sound bite so we can hear the lovely growl :D.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
A bit OT, but I have wondered why none of you cafe builders haven't picked up the 30mm shorter swing arm mod I did a while back?

I think it would help the look where the sub frame's been emptied & you get noticeably quicker turning, plus a useful 6% gain in effective spring rate thru' the shock leverage ratio. (The latter handy when a ZX shock's been fitted.)

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Can't seem to find where I mentioned it?

I didn't give it a thread on its own but thought I'd put something in the 'What did you...' sticky, but can't find that either....

Roughly until MY 98, the classics used a ~30mm shorter swing arm and 110 link chain vs 114 later. Before VIN 60503 is the shorter type, and before VIN 29156 is short also but uses the eccentric adjuster style of the other T3s (in theory a slightly stiffer axle mount, but I've never noticed much flex with the linear adjuster type).

Anyhow, the only difference is the length of the axle mount lugs that were welded to the main oval tubes. Dogbone mounts etc. is all identical.

I think the only reason it changed was the introduction of the TBS which they decided needed a longer swing arm/wheelbase/weight balance. So, they just used the same one for all classics from then on.

Swing arms seem to go for peanuts on ebay, so it's a cheap mod, tho' I did renew bearings and sleeves at the same time. In hindsight, just the sleeves would have done as these were showing some wear, but the bearings on the arm I bought were fine really.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Wow, it's really not that loud at idle without a Muffler, and sounds fantastic when revved! I reckon you could run it as is, and the blue flames just add to it :D.

Nice :doublethumb

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Hmmm....

I reckon there should be a youtube audio equivalent warning to that for convex mirrors...you know, 'objects may appear to be further away....' :D

Last time I heard one ours with open pipes, it was actually immediately painful for the ears lol

Sounds great with the volume down a notch or two tho'.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
It's sounds way better with a muffler, and really dampens the back fire a lot. I ordered this on Friday

www.lossaengineering.com/shop/lossa-brand-reverse-cone-muffler/

It should put it just past the peg, which would add a very clean and simple look to the system. So with the muffler and the two sets of headers I used, I'm only $158 into the whole exhaust system :)!

Oh by the way mike, the clearance is 4"! That should be plenty, I even backed it off my lift without the ramp on accident and still didn't smack it, maybe I can jump some curbs! Haha

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Sure it'll be grand, as we say around these parts ;)

(But if I were you, I'd consider the difference in suspension action and clearance between going forwards off a kerb & backing it over one :p )

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yes it does sound really grand its just that low ground clearance as on some rough roads and twistys but deffo a cheap system so well done just a thought did u have to do anything with carbs

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I don't think clearance will be an issue at all with cornering or rough streets. My carbs were jetted almost perfect for the stock headers, so I'm sure I'll have to mess around with them after this. I'll keep you all posted. I'm probably going to go for a dyno run once I get the muffler in!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Sure, it was totally worth doing, has a great sculpted look to it and should work great - does already from that sound! and for ebay $$, cool :)

Got to be back with another longer youtube clip or ride by vid when the reverse cone is on there?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Most definitely! I can't wait to hear what it sounds like. It sounded great with this crappy little muffler I had laying around from my friends project bike , so with a well made muffler, it should sound even better!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts