Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it was around 35 this morning, our first real cold snap here in N. Florida. We'll get down to the 20s and occasionally the teens, but for all the cold, we rarely get snow (twice in my 23 years here) so it's year-round riding.

At least I thought it was.

Today in the lot there were only three bikes. One K1200LT, one R1200GS, and of course the R100RS. That's right - all BMWs.

The Harley guys have bailed. The FJ guy has bailed. The Gixxer kid has bailed. The Vulcan has bailed.

Go figure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yup, it was cold here in Joisey too. It was below freezing for the whole ride. In my parking lot, the usual summer rides have disappeared - all bikes with plastic bodies/windscreens - 2 BMW Ks, Suzuki sport bike, Triumph Bonny with a windshield.

Only bike left is the only naked one of the lot - my S3.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Well, it helps when your Beemer comes with heated grips, accessory plugs to plug in your heated clothing, some of those cruising bastards even have AC and heaters! Cmon, with that many amenities, its no suprise those guys are riding in comfort all winter long.

When I ride all winter long its 3 layers of long johns, waterproof gear over top, balaclava, and warm gloves that still freeze my hands at highway speed.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... my personal beemer has no heated grips and no accessory plug, which is okay on accounta I don't own any electric clothes. A few layers of non-electrified clothes work just fine.

I have found, however, that since the footpegs sit right behind those boxer cylinders, my feet stay nice an' toasty :-D

I'd be on the S3 'cept I need cargo capability most days.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Good to hear you're not a cheater! Autumn's Spring ST has that handy 'engine heat' feature. Although, it doesn't work all that well in the winter. Sure does warm your legs really well in the summer though...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Go figure, yesterday was almost 60, got a call from my father-in-law, just sold his house and had to be out by tomorrow. So instead of riding, i helped him move. Today forcast was for 60 which it is, but didn't get there until just about the time I pulled this post up. Now I can't ride because we have to have 2 cars out at all times. Maybe tomorrow.

My wife is pushing hard for me to move to St. George UT, year round riding sounds enticing right now. We'll see, there's a Sgt. exam coming up in a few months in my dept. that'll probably make or break the decision to move. ( Not that I'm a cry baby and would leave just because I didn't get promoted, But there most likely won't be another position for a good 10 years) Who knows wish me luck.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i actually prefer this weather most of the time,, 45-65 is my favorite for the street, all my safety gear and no sweaty balls, i'll get out the gerbing below freezing. plus i'ld rather be cold than hot any day.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i've been driving around in my yaris as of the past few weeks. i just passed the 1000 mile mark so it's now broken in. probably be switching back over to the trusty speedy here pretty soon. :razz:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Me n' my buddy just got back from Cleveland over this past weekend: 20 some odd degree's plus wind chill/ rain/ snow flurries... Hardasses or Dumbasses has yet to be seen- we're still defrosting! :hammer:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
A couple of weeks to do a 1000 miles in a Yaris....... thats about right. :-D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Still nice & sunny here every day for the last 10 days or so mid 20C. Just right fer ridin'.................... :-D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts